Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im new to the community and im having a dilemma.. I've installed a new amp in my 2016 audio comfort and im not getting any sound from the front right speaker.. I've tested the speaker I've switched the speaker and the real head scratcher is i hooked up the stock wire to the speaker and there is no sound now even from that the other 3 do work.. i did run speaker wire from the stock wires of each speaker and then new wire back to each.. I did switch the wires on the amp to run the front speakers off of the rear on the amp and they did work but the rear right stopped so im definitely having an issue with the front right speaker position from the stock unit.. any help would be greatly appreciated thank you..

·
Administrator
26,539 Posts
Where did you connect the wires to the amp? I would guess either a problem in the audio unit or a connection at the unit or somewhere farther along. I don't have a book on that year so no idea where the harness connectors are.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I ran the wires from the speakers to the trunk(where the new amp is located) and new wires back to the speakers the + is from the battery and the ground is in the trunk and the remote wire is ran from the rear light

·
Administrator
26,539 Posts
OK, so you should be looking for a break in the wires from the audio unit to the right front speaker. I believe there is also an amplifier already in the system, used to be behind the rear tire, under the trunk.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,154 Posts
If you are using an existing "ground wire" in the trunk, it is not "truly a ground", close but no cigar.

Add a separate wire from the battery to the Amp for the Negative return wire, do not use the bike's ground wiring, that is where the noise is coming from.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Im not having any noise issues im using a bolt in the trunk for the ground, i did run a wire from the battery to test the ground to make sure there was no difference.. Im not sure how there would be a break in the wire somewhere on the stock wires when i did not mess with any if that unless i have some really unfortunate timing.. im just trying to figure out if some how that front right speaker position fried.. it does look like there is a box covering something in the rear.. can that amp be removed and the new amp be rewired in its position.. thank you for your responses..

·
Administrator
26,539 Posts
Are you certain the RF speaker was working before?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts