Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hello all -

Anyone have any experience with putting aftermarket mufflers on a GL 1800?

I have only found 2 manufacturers - Cobra and TorqueMaster. Listened to the .wav file recordings of each muffler - couldn't really distinguish between the two.

Basically I am looking for something a bit louder than the stock setup.

Any advice is appreciated!

Thanks,
Russ

·
The Irish Crew
3,932 Posts
imported post

Those Torqmasters tend to be louder than the WAV files on the site suggest for some reason. I seen them on a GL1800 in France last year and they were surprisingly loud. Personally I didn't like the noise, but if that's what you want then I think the TMs will do the job.

·
Other side of the pond
3,409 Posts
imported post

The sound files are only a guide Al, but I agree the TMs are louder and raspier in real life.

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
imported post

I put a set of Torquemaster pipes on a '99 GL1500 a couple of years back. I had also added the 6 degree trigger wheel and headers from TM in an effort to get more power and fuel economy. This is usually a misnomer( power AND economy) but on the 1500, it worked like a charm. I drive at 120kph when I am on the highway ( 75mph) and the fuel mileage went from barely 30mpg (Imperial gal) to 42-45mpg. The bike sounded great around town and I got a few comments from the folks who drive big twins, mostly positive. For myself though, I found them annoying as hell ( the pipes without baffles) on the highway when I tour, which is most of my driving. ( 20-25,000 kms per year in a 6 month season) I put the baffles in and it quietened(?) the bike down to a nice throaty sound that was acceptable, and still elicited positive comments from most bikers ( Wingers included) who heard it. The only problem was the metal to metal fit when the baffles were in and it gave off a tinny sound on rough paverment or when slowing down. I solved that problem by purchasing muffler grade fibreglass packing and installing a couple of wraps of that over the baffle and then stuffing the whole business back into the bike. This toned it down just a bit more for a thoroughly pleasing sound without affecting the preformance or power gains adversly.
All in all, I would do it again in heatbeat if I ever wind up with another 1500. ( I ride a Vulcan Classic when I feel loud and obnoxious and an 1800 for touring) If you want the power and economy gains without the noise and expense , most likely they could be acheived using the 6 degree trigger wheel and headers and staying with the stock pipes.
Just my humble opinion.
Ride safe everone, but RIDE.
Marty

·
Premium Member
953 Posts
imported post

Interesting report Marty, thanks. Most people don't like the trigger wheel at city riding speeds, but it does seem to be the answer for higher speed performance.

·
Premium Member
419 Posts
imported post

The TQ's are a better fit out of the box. I've read of problems with the Cobras, plenty of struggling, twisting etc to get them in.

·
Premium Member
1 Posts
imported post

Excellent post. I am considering the TM's on my GL1800 but still unsure. I don't enjoy riding in stealth mode where far too many 4 wheelers cannot detect my presence. I'm thinking that a set of TM's and a Steel Nautilus Air Horn will be a great way to uncloke myself in tight situations. Thanks!

·
Banned
214 Posts
imported post

Okay I heard from a fellow goldwinger there was an exhaust system for the 1800 called a "dial a tone" He discribed it as two slotted disc internal to the stock pipes that allowed the individual to restrict or not restrict the gas flow. Has anyone every heard of this system.

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

Packitac, packetric, packitrac, something like that used to sell a little paper template and a piece of stainless steel like this. You can open or close the holes.

This is what they called the dial a tone. I have the photo but do not know the exact name of the company and this was long ago. But would be easy to make yourself. The holes are 3/8 inch.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
720 Posts
imported post

wings4life wrote:
The TQ's are a better fit out of the box. I've read of problems with the Cobras, plenty of struggling, twisting etc to get them in.

I can confirm that, and the rear brackets are sometimes welded a few mm off so you have to drill the bolt holes out really big and use washers to cover em.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.