Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Impersonating a mechanic
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Thought I saw a list on this forum of aftermarket fuel filters for Wings, but I can't find it. Have I been dreaming, or just getting mixed up with the oil filter list? I need one for a 1200 Aspy. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
212 Posts
imported post

Napa carries the fuel filters part 3011 about 3 bucks

·
Impersonating a mechanic
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Thanks, Budd. That's exactly what I needed. It's the same number for the GL1100's, I guess, but I wasn't sure. Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
212 Posts
imported post

Your welcome if you want to see more go to goldwingdocs.com and look at tech talk they have a good cross over parts list for a lot of parts. Hal

·
Premium Member
1,215 Posts
imported post

Yep-- I have the Napa on my 1200 after all the problems Enco was having. Fit in the stock holder just fine and were about $3 each.

Jim

·
Impersonating a mechanic
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Here's a picture of what was in the old filter on the bike. It was original equipment, and I doubt that it had ever been changed. Took a 4400 mile trip last year with that filter; guess we were lucky.

I couldn't find the NAPA filter locally, so I installed a Hastings GF 95 thatis the equivalent of the NAPA #3011.Bike started right up, which it had not been doing. I'll bet it's going to have more power too.

I plan to check out the tank because that stuff is rust colored. And depending on how it runs, maybe pull and clean the carbs.

Thank you both for your help.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,215 Posts
imported post

Wow!!!! That is amazing.!!! Hard to believe any fuel was getting thru that. Would be interesting to see whats in the carb. bowls. I think i would remove the fuel pump and see if you can flush out any sediment that may be in it.

Jim :waving:

·
Premium Member
212 Posts
imported post

I bet if that filter was on a Harley it would have stopped dead in its tracks. Just goes to show you how great these bikes are. Hal

·
Impersonating a mechanic
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

rideandslidejim wrote:
Would be interesting to see whats in the carb. bowls. I think i would remove the fuel pump and see if you can flush out any sediment that may be in it.

Two good suggestions. Thanks, Jim. I'll do that. I'm so anxious to see what a difference the new filter makes that I'm going to take it for a short, hopefully spirited ride first, though.

·
Impersonating a mechanic
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

BUDDTWO wrote:
I bet if that filter was on a Harley it would have stopped dead in its tracks. Just goes to show you how great these bikes are. Hal
I totally agree. On our long trip last year, not only was the filternearly clogged up, the regulator was failing too, but she kept on moving and got us there. Fantastic bikes.

·
Premium Member
97 Posts
imported post

I, too, have an '86 Aspy. I am going to change the filter to the Napa one, but I have a question. The fuel lines are just "stuck on" the present filter right now with NO clamps on the hoses whatsoever. Is the way it should be, or do I need to put clamps on each end?

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
imported post

Goldwings are fantastic bikes, but so are Harleys, IMO. Older carbed Harleys only needed a simple clear inline fuel filter like any other bike. You could always carry extras, only takes a few minutes to change. Now the newer Fuel injected Harleys have the same issues as the newer fuel injected Goldwings. A huge, and very expensive filter designed to withstand the super high pressures of a fuel injection pump. Also, ALL Goldwings have fuel pumps, while pre injected Harleys don't. And Harleys have only one easy to remove and clean carb instead of four. Not everything about Harleys is bad.

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
imported post

JerryH wrote:
Not everything about Harleys is bad.
Agree. I rent them 2-3 times a year for different events or when visiting my Dad in NJ. Something about a 103 Ultra Classic at speed that does a soul some good! Always happy to climb back on my Interstate though!

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
imported post

Do the 1200 carbs have a screen in the carb like the GL1000
It is under the needle and seat. if it does I wonder if that crud made it to that point?

·
Impersonating a mechanic
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
imported post

maestro319 wrote:
do I need to put clamps on each end?
Yes. Get small hose clamps. I replaced the two fuel lines on either side of the filter while I was at it. Used 1/4" fuel line, $1 for both of them, cut to fit.

·
Impersonating a mechanic
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
imported post

scotterichmond wrote:
It is under the needle and seat. if it does I wonder if that crud made it to that point?

I don't know. One of the gurus may come along and answer that. My thoughts are that as any filter fills up, it becomes more efficient in the particle size it removes;the material it collects becomes part of the filter media, thusreducing the size of the particle that can pass. Of course, the open area of the filter is reduced too, sooutput is reduced, sometimes creating havoc with downstream processes.

·
Premium Member
212 Posts
imported post

JERRYH &SMC hey guys just kidding around about the HD lot of my buddies ride HD and yes even my brother Hal

·
Premium Member
1,046 Posts
imported post

PAPete wrote:
scotterichmond wrote:

I don't know. One of the gurus may come along and answer that. My thoughts are that as any filter fills up, it becomes more efficient in the particle size it removes;the material it collects becomes part of the filter media, thusreducing the size of the particle that can pass. Of course, the open area of the filter is reduced too, sooutput is reduced, sometimes creating havoc with downstream processes.

Yes they do. And it is under the needle/seat.

·
Impersonating a mechanic
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
imported post

Just to update:

I took the bike, a 1200 Aspy,for a 50 mile ride yesterday, and there was a noticeable difference with the new filter. Surprisingly, I noticed the most improvement at low speed; it seemed to have more torque at lower speeds, than I remember. If this makes sense to someone else, I'd appreciate an explanation.

Another thing puzzles me: On a slight upward grade, as I went to pass a couple of bikes that were traveling at 60 MPH, the bike did not respond with as much power as I expected. I thought that ingoing from an almost completely plugged filter to a new one, you would see a bigger difference at higher RPM than at slow speeds. RPM was probably just under 3000 at 60 mph. I was in OD and did not downshift. Where is the "powerband" on this bike?

It ran fairly smoothly through all gears, although I could hear the soft putt-putt-putt of thesticky air cutoff valve(s) as I coasted to a stop. I expected this, as the bike has been sitting (with Stabil) since early June. I put MMO and gas in the tank -- we'll see if that helps the a/c/o valves. If that doesn't do it, I'll try some Berryman's B-12 and/or Seafoam.

·
Administrator
26,143 Posts
imported post

PAPete wrote:
It ran fairly smoothly through all gears, although I could hear the soft putt-putt-putt of thesticky air cutoff valve(s) as I coasted to a stop. I expected this, as the bike has been sitting (with Stabil) since early June. I put MMO and gas in the tank -- we'll see if that helps the a/c/o valves. If that doesn't do it, I'll try some Berryman's B-12 and/or Seafoam.
No fuel goes through the air valves so fuel treatments will not help.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.