Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Administrator
27,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

It's starting to cool off and I vowed to have grip heaters by this winter. I have searched and these 3 are what I have found. The ECs I know work well and are plug and play on the 1800. The others are 1/2 the price but some wiring has to be done but I am good at that so no problem. The ECs are also about 1/2 the wattage of the others and get plenty hot.
Anyone care to offer an informed opinion?

·
Token Canuk
8,236 Posts
imported post

Get a hold of Dusty Boot's :waving:

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

96aspencade wrote:
Get a hold of Dusty Boot's :waving:
Ya, if he ever gets home!!:action::action::action::action::action:

·
Token Canuk
8,236 Posts
imported post

He got home a couple of day's ago :action::action::action:

·
Old School Guru
7,889 Posts
imported post

Well Dave, if you had just waited and bought you an 09, you would have had heated grips and a heated butt. Ha Ha!:cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1:

Gene:waving:

·
Administrator
27,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
imported post

True Gene, but I don't need my butt heated.

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

Dave, I bought a set of the Dual Star grip heaters and am quite pleased with them. They are a high quality item,(better than your typical Snowmobile grip heaters), where you use your grip of choice. Unlikea lot of other grip heaters, the heat output your hands feel,is the same for both sides, not a lopsided affair, where the throttle side is melting and the clutch side is lukewarm!!. The thin, Mylar adhesive backed heating elements, are 'side specific', meaning one is labelled 'Clutch Side'(more heating 'elements' to compensate for the Heat Sink' effect of the metal handlebar) and 'Throttle Side' which has fewer elements, to compensate for the insulative effect of the plastic throttle 'sleeve'. They have it 'dialed in', right! :clapper:

I stuck with using the Honda stock gripsand the Dual Starsprovide enough comfortable, all day heat on low and prodigious amounts of heat on high. If you have Kuryakyn ISO grips installed and thicker padded winter gloves, you may need to keep them set on high, due to the amount of rubber(thickness) used in their grips.

I opted for the Optional round rocker switch and installed it in between my cigarette lighter and a Powerlet outlet for my heated clothing, in the CB 'knock-out panel', where a CB would normally reside on a 1500 SE. I had to add a foot of extra wiring to the supplied harness, in order to place the switch there. If you are placing it closer to the dash area on your 1800, then there should be an adequate amount of wiring for easy installation of the switch.

While initially I thought they were a 'luxury item', after using them , I now think of them as a necessity, for those riding in cooler, shoulder seasons, especially at high altitude and sold at an affordable/reasonable price. Installation 1 1/2 hours, from start of job(removing grips)to back out riding. I ran the power lead from one of my independently wired aux fuse blocks, located under my left fairing pocket.

I love 'em! :coollep:. :action:

Dusty

·
Premium Member
919 Posts
imported post

Hows the throttle side wiring hold up with the twisting?

Looks like just what the doctor order for me and in my price range. JR

·
Administrator
27,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
imported post

Thanks Dusty Boots, that's just what I needed to know.

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

oldtoys1961 wrote:
Hows the throttle side wiring hold up with the twisting?

Looks like just what the doctor order for me and in my price range. JR
So far, just fine.

I used a cable tie to fasten the wireon the throttle sleeve, with an inch of slack present between the cable tie andbefore the point where the wire actually enters the heating element, which looks to be heavily epoxied for durability. This is to help eliminate any 'stress' on the wire due to the twisting action of the throttlewhere it enters the heating element.

I should go take some photos and post 'em.

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

FYI .... I never used any grip cement/epoxy when I reinstalled my grips, after installing the grip heaters. after 15-20 minutes of being on low, the clutch side grip does twist/slide down a bit, so you may want to use some grip cement. I forget if Dual Star supplies any with the kit, or not. I didn't use anyand am aware of this minor 'slip factor'

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

Here's some pics

'Power Panel'

Throttle side

Clutch side Heating Element

You'll get an idea just how thin these Grip Heaters are, as you can see the edge of the Mylar sheeting these things are set in, with this shot

Hope this helps

Dusty

·
Administrator
Piaggio MP3, was 02 GL1800
61,681 Posts
imported post

I've wondered just how thick they could be and still fit underneath the grips.

The throttle side concerns me a bit, with the power wiring needing to flex back/forth, seems it would need a bit of length to absorb the change in radius with the twist.

·
Premium Member
91 Posts
imported post

I have used grip heaters on my dirtbike for a couple years. I crash through trees and brush along with mud and water all the time. The grip heaters are almost indestructible. I wouldn't worry about the wires breaking. Just leave a little slack as suggested before.

Also if you plan to use the cheap grip heaters, you can wrap the non-throttle side of the bars with a couple layers of electric tape before installing the heater. That will insulate it enough to balance it out with the throttle side heater so that one hand isn't on fire while the other is freezing.

I like to use the grip adhesive or other alternative such as hairspray. Nmot only does it prevent slippage of the grips, but it also makes installing the grips much easier. When you add grip heaters, it can be tough getting the grips on. The adhesive allows them to slide on a little easier.

That being said, I haven't added heaters to my Goldwing yet. I plan to real soon though. I'm buying the cheap kind but plan to buy a nice rocker switch from Radio Shack. The grip heaters that I use come with a resistor that gets really hot! You don't want to mount that in the wrong place! On my dirtbike, I zip-tied that to one of the forks. If there is a kind that does not have that hot resistor, then I would opt for that unless it's very high dollar. The cheap kind can be had for $20-$30.

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

fletchman919 wrote:
That being said, I haven't added heaters to my Goldwing yet. I plan to real soon though. I'm buying the cheap kind but plan to buy a nice rocker switch from Radio Shack. The grip heaters that I use come with a resistor that gets really hot! You don't want to mount that in the wrong place! On my dirtbike, I zip-tied that to one of the forks. If there is a kind that does not have that hot resistor, then I would opt for that unless it's very high dollar. The cheap kind can be had for $20-$30.
The Dual Stars that I have(linked to above) don't have, or needthe resistor and the clutch side is balanced out heat wise, very evenly to the throttle side.

John ..... with abit of lube(hairspray, soap etc) if your grips fit the bars before, they would fit over these grip heaters, as they are extremely thin, yet extremely durable.

·
Premium Member
91 Posts
imported post

Dusty Boots wrote:
fletchman919 wrote:
The Dual Stars that I have(linked to above) don't have, or need the resistor and the clutch side is balanced out heat wise, very evenly to the throttle side.

John  ..... with a bit of lube(hairspray, soap etc) if your grips fit the bars before, they would fit over these grip heaters, as they are extremely thin, yet extremely durable.

That's good to know!......I enjoyed watching your videos. I'm an Ironworker and know and use a lot of knots and hitches. I just learned a couple more by watching your video. Thanks! I hope to use them soon.

·
Administrator
27,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
imported post

I ordered the dual stars but they were back ordered a few days and were shipped Friday. Hope to get them installed soon, it's getting cool here.

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

They were on 2 week back order when I bought mine. They were shipped on time and shipping cost were very fair(<$5)

The last couple of weeks, I have often had them on low,(especially riding in rain showers)which produces a nice radiating warmth. I do believe I'm spoiled with them and would never go without them again.:gunhead:

Fairly low amperage draw, so should be fine for all 1500s, with stock alternators. I have talked a couple ofriding buds(non Wing owners) into getting them. ;)

I'm sure you will be pleased with them. :coollep:

·
Premium Member
919 Posts
imported post

Whats a good set of 6" grips that would work with these?
I see the rubber grips in the pic. Would foam grips work? I seen JCW has leather also. Any suggestions? JR

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.