Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

Your stock grips will work just fine, as well as those you mentioned. :cooler:

I would think that the thicker rubber grips(ISO Grips) would reduce the heat output some, due to the sheer thickness of the rubber in their grips, although 'they should be fine with the heat setting set on 'High'.

I chose to reuse the stock grips, so I could realize the warm 'glow' that you feel on thelow setting, while wearing summer weight gloves in temps down to the mid/high 30s. :action:

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
imported post

I just installed the Symtec/Dual Stars this AM on my 1500...

Just follow the directions that come with the grips...even a caveman can do it;)

A little compressed air shot up the end of the grip, and whoooosh off the grip comes

A touch a of acetone/fingernail polish remover to clean up the old grip glue...followed by a little alcohol to clean up the acetone residuals

It was about 40 in the garage this AM...so a couple of minutes with the hair dryer to warm the bar and throttle sleeve to promote a better adhesion of the 3M VHB tape

My grip "glue" has always been hair spray...squirt a little down the grip and it will slide on easier than it came off

I always leave a small "loop" of wire at the throttle side, to allow the movement of the throttle, just like the directions state;)

Thread the wires down the handlebar covers and you are good to go with the hook-up

I had a fused circuit already up near the bars, so hook up was a snap

I prefer to use insulated spade connectors to the switch instead of the plain metal ones in the kit

This is the 4th bike I have done this to, no problems after 5+years for $40 delivered from California Sport Touring

Start to finish 90 minutes...heated paws are good:)

Bill

·
Premium Member
345 Posts
imported post

Just fitted the Symtec heaters myself and if I can do it, anyone can. Well worth doing. Not tried them out of town yet but got a trip over to the Isle of Skye on the 24th and they will get the big test then. i used the standard grips as well and you can feel the difference.

·
Administrator
27,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
imported post

I got the heaters in the mail now I just have to figure out how to get the ISO grips off without destroying them. They are glued on with the super duper glue that came with them, it's some awesome stuff and I didn't think about having to take them off when I put them on.

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

Try taking the end caps off and slipping a long,thin blade screwdriver between the grips and the bar. Then spray some lube/WD40 up beside the shaft of the screwdriver and work around. You may have to give it a few squirts, but they should eventually work free and you'll be able to rotate the screwdriver all the way around the bars. When you can do this, give it one more squirt, remove the screwdriver and wriggle the grips off.

·
Administrator
27,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
imported post

I'll have to take the caps off and look but I don't think there are any holes in the end big enough to get a screwdriver in, only some small slots and the screw holes. I thought I might try heating them with a hair dryer or borrow a heat gun from work.

·
Administrator
27,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
imported post

Update, got the heaters installed. I figured out the ISO grips are 2 pieces of rubber under the metal part so I was able to pry under the metal part and pull the rubber out enough to get some nail polish remover inside the grips to release the glue, some twisting and tugging got them off easy enough. That done I put the heaters on the bars and reinstalled the grips with hair spray as glue (who was the first one to figure that out?). Then it was as simple as running the wires down the bars and to the right side switch panel, had to add some wire to make them long enough. Then drilled a hole for the switch, connected to the (supposedly non existent after 06) accessory connector for the right side, I had moved the connector so it could be reached under the right pocket the last time I had the shelter off. I checked the amp draw after I had them connected, 3.3 amps on high and 1.8 on low, Probably low enough they could be added to any model Goldwing. They heated up nicely in just a few minutes.

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

:cooler: :cool:

I've been using mine a lot, lately

·
Premium Member
4,040 Posts
imported post

As Dusty says !!!! I have the same and I highly recommend them. Installed the same and the warmth from these is fabulous 2 settings (I've never used the hi) Staves off the heat loss in your whole body!!!

·
Premium Member
91 Posts
imported post

I just installed the cheap kind of grip heater elements. I think they are $25 through www.denniskirk.com in the offroad catalog. I didn't install the resistor that gets hot for the low setting. So I just have high and off. I tested them out today and they work fine. Hands were nice and toasty with a medium weight riding glove. So if you're cheap or poor like me, this is a great alternative to the more expensive kind.

·
Premium Member
91 Posts

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
imported post

I have showchrome heated grips. Any tips on mounting the controller switch? It came with 3M tape. The wires come off the bottom of the controller, not through the back. I don't want to butcher up the space next to the key for opening the right hande glove box on my 2008. Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
237 Posts
imported post

I have a similar set up to Dusty's just the cheaper version and I use the foam grips with no problems. Might take a little longer to get heat through the foam but they keep my hands toasty warm on Lo and bloody hot on Hi.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.