Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hello all,

Found this site through a friend. My Dad owns a 84 Aspencade and the radio has played out i wouldsay, makes wierd noises, even when the bike is not running. What i would like to know is , isthere any kits out there to put an aftermarket car stereo, in its place?I would really like to do this for him, he's done so much for me. Thanks

Smallfry

·
Premium Member
1,662 Posts
imported post

Welcome, smallfry. You found the best site on the web for GoldWing helps. You are about to get more information than you ever needed, but you will appreciate every bit of it.

These guys are the best informed and friendliest guys in thee world, literally. You're going to find responses from as far away as Australia.

Ruaidh

·
Premium Member
3,391 Posts
imported post

Talk to Sierra @ http://www.sierra-mc.com/

But first make sure all the contacts are cleaned, it is the radio and not the intercom? If there are any shorts to ground you will get squeeling on the intercom. Is there a CB on the bike?

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Well its like this, he doesnt have a helmet head set, but the radio worked when he got it, but now it makes real weird noises through the speakers. We have replaced the speakers, and still the same. We've run new ground wires and all still making noises. Ive seen bikes this year model, with aftermarket radio's in them. So i hope that someone can help me. One way or the other...

Thanks Smallfry

·
Other side of the pond
3,409 Posts
imported post

Hi smallfry. Lots of older Wings had car stereos wedged in, it's not a big deal to fit one and connect it to the speakers. But it's difficult to keep the rain out of them and the Honda one has more interaction with the bikes intercom system etc. Sierra don't charge major money to fix these so it's really a better bet to let them at least have a look and see what's wrong. :waving:

·
Premium Member
3,391 Posts
imported post

Pull the radio out, and at the back where it plugs into the socket take a tiny screw driver
and slightly bend them closer together so that they make better contact. They do have a habit of lossening over time, I do mine once a year during maintainance. Coat the contacts with dialectric grease.
make sure all the plugs in the left pocket are making contact properly put a little dialectric on them also.
Your better off to stick with the honda radio, if after making sure the contacts are clean talk to Sierra, probably cheaper than a new radio.
If you put an auto style radio in get a marine unit (waterproof) more costly, you will lose the auto volume....to me important. the mute button will also go.
These bikes with auto radio's in are the Interstate model which didnt come with the honda radio as standard equipment.

·
GERIATRIC MEMBER
57,413 Posts
imported post

Hey smallfry28 :leprechaun:Welcome to the forum. :clapper:I see you hail from Louisburg, we have a place of the same name in Co.Mayo. :weightlifter:

:walker::18red::walker:

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Redwing wrote:
Hey smallfry28 :leprechaun:Welcome to the forum. :clapper:I see you hail from Louisburg, we have a place of the same name in Co.Mayo. :weightlifter:
I really like the Mayo you guys make, put it on most of the sandwiches I eat.:cheeky1:

·
Premium Member
235 Posts
imported post

I bought an 86 Aspencade in March. Sierra charged $96 for a complete run through of the stock AM-FM cassette. Mine didn't need it but I think I'll send it in this winter, after 20 years it deserves a tune up!:weightlifter:

One thing tricky forgot to add about the connector on the back. Very slightly loosen the screws holding the connector on the back of the radio, you can use locktite to hold them in place. This allows the connector to "float" in the socket and helps to eliminate noise during movement.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.