Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi, everyone. Just wondering if anyone has info about installing after market radio in a 85 Interstate.

·
Registered
10,509 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,379 Posts
imported post

an easy and reliable setup would be just using an mp3 player. such as an ipod.

my setup consists on just an audio amplifier which i just upgraded to a power equalizer, 100W output. my old 30 gb ipod and a couple of 4".

cheap and you dont have to worry about the rain. i've been running regular speaker (not marine or waterproof) for two years, riding in the rain with no problems. water does not get into the speaker. the power amplifier was hidden inside the fairing now the eq on the left pocket for access to the controlls and the ipod on the top compartment.

·
Premium Member
1,572 Posts
imported post

Hello arkansas-superddrafter, what are you starting with on your Interstate (radio, no radio)?

·
Premium Member
1,572 Posts
imported post

ok, tons of info in here. the link referenced above is to a really long thread that I started when I wanted to rework mine. I started with an old aftermarket radio setup and modified it to accept current parts. You'll just have to catch up. You can probably get a nice unit complete for under $200. The radio and speakers I used were from Pyle:

http://www.pyleaudio.com/itemdetail.asp?model=PL97M4

http://www.pyleaudio.com/itemdetail.asp?brand=&cat1=Car Audio&cat2=Coaxial Speakers&model=PL42BL

They were $114 delivered from www.qualitycaraudio.com

You will also need a mounting plate unless you want to make one....look here:

http://goldwingchrome.com/N_ItemDetails.asp?parItemID=1137&parCategory=GL1200

Please take pics before and after and post for us to see.

Good luck

Joe

·
Premium Member
1,572 Posts
imported post

you will also need speaker grills. Mine came with the bike. Maybe look on ebay, or I'm sure someone else will chime in with a supplier.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,764 Posts
imported post

Howdy Arkansas,

The speaker covers are going to be your biggest problem. I've never seen a set on e-bay. You might try ****** or some other used parts place. I've seen a couple of GL12s that had someone just drill holes in the stock cover plates. Looked funky. Maybe if you were to temporarily tape a drilling guide, like a shower drain or something to keep the holes symetrical, it could be done.

As for the radio itself, it can be mounted in that stock cover but the radio would have to be mounted securely in back as the cover isn't very strong. Full size radios won't fit in the space provided so those Pyle models are the best option I've seen lately. (4.75 inches deep) Shop around a lot. Everything seems to be a compromise with small buttons and hard to use (while riding) controls.

The antenna can be purchased pretty easily. The cleanest set-up is the stock bracket, but I've seen some other mounting methods that looked OK. I've talked to a couple of people that used the in-dash antennas and were happy with them.

Good luck and keep us all posted.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,790 Posts
imported post

Hers my pyle radio, it is no where near as neatly installed as Bike...Dennis but we like it. plus we have it ran through our after market intercom system. Wife and I love it.

Ride Safe, Ray

:action:

·
Premium Member
1,572 Posts
imported post

nice look Ray. Did you just put that one in? I almost bought that radio, but went with the 97.
Joe

·
Premium Member
9,790 Posts
imported post

Thanks, Yes I just put it in a few weeks ago. I was able to use the RCA outs to hook up the stereo to run through my intercomm system which makes it so much sweeter. Only thing I want to change is I need to add a small amp mainly to boost it up just a tad bit. Now I do need speaker grills but am thinking of making a set, but that is for another time :)

Radio works great by the way, for what I want it to do.

Ride Safe, Ray

:action:

·
Premium Member
1,572 Posts
imported post

I hadn't thought of using the RCA jacks to connect to an intercom. Great idea.
Joe

·
Premium Member
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

Thanks for the info, guys. I'm going to start looking, but there are other thinks I need to do to my bike. Just redid the brakes and installed new white wall tires. Waiting on a piece for the lower cowling so I can put it together. I have seen the speaker grills on Ebay, but they are always high priced. I may try drilling the blanks out if I can get a pattern. I think I could make one on the computer to use as a template.

Bryce

·
Premium Member
3,391 Posts
imported post

I bought a set of speaker grills at Sierra complete with the Honda badge in Oct 2008.
Check with your local Honda dealer too, you may be surprised. My friend bought a set of Grills in Ontario from the local Honda Dealer at a reasonable price.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,764 Posts
imported post

Hey Arkansas,
Dennis here again.
I just checked tricky's info on Sierra.com and he's right.
OEM speaker grills for 70 bucks. They had J&M speakers too for $60. That's good prices!

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,764 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,790 Posts
imported post

Bike...and Dennis wrote:
RayandTracy wrote:
nsjoe wrote:
well there you go arkansassuperddrafter and Ray, OEM speaker covers
http://www.sierra-mc.com/proddetail.asp?prod=HON%2DGL12%2DSPKR%2DBLK%2DKT
Dang you:Dnow I got to spend some more money:cheeky1:

Thanks, Ray

:waving:
Hey Ray,
If the ownership of that machine has become a burden...
I'll be happy to go out of my way to un-burden you.

Really, I'd be happy to help...
Boy I tell you, the kind folks here:shock:willing to help a guy out by taking his bike:action::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1:I think I can handle this here burden, but thanks for offering help:cooldevil:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.