Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

First, I want to apologize for yet another "seat" thread but my anatomy says to do it!

I am overweight and short and the stock seat on my '86 Interstate is too soft and does not have enough support width-wise. Can anyone speak to the difference between a Corbin and Travecade/Saddlemen seat?

·
Premium Member
2,970 Posts
imported post

This may be another answer you are not looking for and since I have read your previous post I know this base may have been covered.

There are a few dealers selling that knockoff memory foam pillow.

i was at Kohls dept store the other day and sat my toosh on that pillow.

I got some strange looks but it felt awesome. Just one pillow while on the floor as my wife picked out shoes. I thikn I will have to purchase that pillow and cut and shape onto my seat pan.

Just a thought.

Im 5'11" 390 lbs. Only have problems after about 2 hours. maybe you have the same problem So I am following your topic closely.

·
Premium Member
2,790 Posts
imported post

i think u would like the Corbin over the stock seat,i am 6'2
and 240 and found that stock seat sat me higher than i wanted to be so they made me one that sat me lower and was made
for my weight, In fact i just bought another in a different
color scheme, the "old" one is for sale but its in burgundy so that probably wouldn't match your ride but i am sure that its
"hard" enough for you

·
Premium Member
250 Posts
imported post

Well edpare, I've heard that Travelcade is good. I haven't heard anything against it. Now Every one I have spoken with says that there is no padding in the corbin. I don't know yet as I bought a Hartco, and I'm not happy with it as far as the hight it sits at and the width. I'm 5'9" and have an inseam of 28" and told Hartco this many times. They asked about my weight, height, and inseam. Also asked if you have a passenger most of the time or just sometimes. And if most of the time how much would the passengerweigh. They took all the info and still didn't get it right. the height, i canput my fingers under the front ofthe seat which I couldn't with the original one. the cut of the seat on the sides is out too far for me andI end up tippy toeing on both feet at a stop. It's great a long legged person. But other than that it's would be great. And in case you don't know and they don't ever mention it, there is suppose to be a 3000 mile break in period. They never mention it either verbly or on their web pages. I took the bike to Lake George show and showed them and told them and they replied "well it looks good". And this company owns Diamond as well which they never mention either. I don't know why not. I can ride about 10 hrs on this seat beforeI get a pain. With the original it was about 2 hrs. I think that the spunge rubber in the original was shot with age. So the summary of this is that Hartco could be a good product but I guess the person heard me but did not listen. At the time it cost me $700.00 USN plus the currency diff and shipping and my customs, which all rounded out to $1000.00. If you want any other seat companies names PM me as I did a full research on all the conpanies I could find in North America. Hope this helps. Good Luck

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

So, it turns out I live about 25 miles from the Corbin factory in Hollister, CA.
I made an appointment to spend all day Friday there when they will build a custom seat for me for the same $429 as if I had bought it over the internet.

They told me a tech would start with a new fiberglass pan, then add padding, then mount it for me to test ride and they would then adjust the padding until I was happy, then put the cover on.

I guess I'm gonna like what I get, or, at least never admit it if I don't! ;)

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

And heeeeere it is!

I think tan Ostrich goes well with the gold accents, don't you?

:action:

·
Disfunctional Nimatode
3,381 Posts
imported post

Very nice..........how does it hug your buns?

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

Dancinbear wrote:
Very nice..........how does it hug your buns?
Very firm - unusually firm - but, I can put 500 miles on it with zero backside issues.
(Haven't had it long enough for a real work out).
I think it is essential for it to be fitted exactly to one's shape to work well, though.:D

·
Premium Member
276 Posts
imported post

I have a Corbin Gunfighter on my Honda Shadow Sabre, and it's the best mod to the bike (aside of the risers).
Did 3000 miles in 6 days (denver/Vegas/Bakersfield/San Fran/Reno/Salt Lake/denver) and never got monkey butt.

And, yours contrasts nicely BTW.
Glad you like it.
I have a friend whos GF works for Corbin at Hollister, Janice. Works in sales, does a lot fo the rallys.

Enjoy the newly found comfort.

·
Registered
2 Posts
i think u would like the Corbin over the stock seat,i am 6'2
and 240 and found that stock seat sat me higher than i wanted to be so they made me one that sat me lower and was made
for my weight, In fact i just bought another in a different
color scheme, the "old" one is for sale but its in burgundy so that probably wouldn't match your ride but i am sure that its
"hard" enough for you
Hey Neoracer, Do you still have that burgundy seat for sale? I may be interested in buying it

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.