Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Premium Member
805 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

All right, who has an aftermarket seat and which one is it, why do you like it.

I'd prefer to hear from GL1500 owners, but value everyones opinion.

Right now I'm leaning towards the gelled Road Sofa, undecided about leather or vinyl.

The Corbin is just a little out of my style taste (big oval backrest), and the Russell adds this and that for a much larger price.

·
Premium Member
2,381 Posts
imported post

Sounds like you've already made your decision.

·
Premium Member
1,153 Posts
imported post

Had a Road Sofa and loved it. It was already fitted to my last gl1500 and I let it go with the bike when I sold it (was getting tatty). Mine was vinyl with velour inserts. I'd stick with vinyl, velour wears off and gets gruby, leather needs careful maintenance and cracks in the heat, gets mouldy in the wet (and still cracks). Vinyl you can just forget about and give it the occasional wipedown.

·
Premium Member
805 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Thanks for your reply, have you tried other to compare it to.

·
Premium Member
419 Posts
imported post

I've had a ride ona friends GL1500 with a Roadsofa. It was a new saddle and was comfy straight away. I sold a Corbin because it was too hard. I could get my feet down grand with the Corbin (I'm 5' 7") but it was just too bloody hard and my missus wasn't impressed with it either. I ended up putting the stock Honda saddle back.

·
Premium Member
760 Posts
imported post

I had a Diamond on my last bike and it was OK but was a lot better after I reshaped the foam, installed a jell pack, and covered it in black leather. New bike has a Russell Day long. I have covered it with my buffalo and I am very happy with it. Actually the buffalo is a natural black sheep skin I brought back from New Zealand. But every body insists it looks like a buffalo.

·
Premium Member
335 Posts
imported post

I don't have anything to comapre with on a Goldwing, as the trike came with a Corbin. It seemed hard as a rock, didn't know how it could be comfortable. We rode from near Joplin, Missouri to Memphis, Tenn about a month ago (325 miles, 6 hours)and my bony backside ( Wife's discription) was ready to go more. Only got off for gas every 150 miles and to eat for about a half hour. Wife only got off to eat- couldn't believe she spent two 3 hour legs in the saddle. she won't even do that in the car!

I am curious to try other seats now, most say Corbin is not comfortable - can hardly wait to try one that is!

Try out as many seats as you can before you invest, and don't forget the co-rider. Something that is good for you may not be good for others.

BTW, Tonys96 - I grew up in Farmington. Lived in the area until '96. Back every year to see family and visit the Shamrock.

·
Premium Member
805 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

I think I own a large portion of, or at least paid for a large portion of, The Shamrock.

When I was younger '70's, I used to visit that establishment on a regular basis.

·
Premium Member
11,739 Posts
imported post

I have a corbin on my 1800 ,,while the corbin is a hard saddle and might seem unconfortable at the start ,,it is the only saddle I have ever been able to drive all day and cover huge mileage and get off not feeling a bit sore or stiff ,,,,I travelled the full length of Spain recently over 1000 miles in one day and no problems when I finally pulled in ....Yes corbin are expensive ,,but worth it ..you need to give a corbin at least 1000 miles for it to fit the contour of your rear end ...ciaran

·
Premium Member
2,381 Posts
imported post

wexman wrote:
I have a corbin on my 1800 ,,while the corbin is a hard saddle and might seem unconfortable at the start ,,it is the only saddle I have ever been able to drive all day and cover huge mileage and get off not feeling a bit sore or stiff ,,,,I travelled the full length of Spain recently over 1000 miles in one day and no problems when I finally pulled in ....Yes corbin are expensive ,,but worth it ..you need to give a corbin at least 1000 miles for it to fit the contour of your rear end ...ciaran
Yep, I'll second that. Far as I'm concerned Corbin is the best. It's the only seat that I can spend 16 hours or more in and not be sore.

·
Premium Member
805 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

I know what you guys are talkin' about, firm seats being comfortable, I har Recaro seats in a car once, hard as a rock but you could sit in them forever...

Now if I could just get over the styling, maybe I'll give them a call and see if the roundness can be altered.

·
Premium Member
2,350 Posts
imported post

I have a stock seat with a travelcade cover and jell packs. It was good for a 530 mile day last week but I could use more padding in theseat or grow some more padding in my seat:jumper::jumper::jumper:

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

I had one bike long time ago that had a leather seat. Don't think I'd want to do that again. It has the same problem as cloth, rain on it and you have a damp butt for days. I think vinyl is hard to beat, just about as tough as leather and shrugs off water. It does get a little hotter in the sun, but to me the non absorbency of water more than makes up for it. On the other hand remember I've spent most of my life in rather damp climates.

·
Premium Member
805 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
imported post

The more opinions the better.

Sounds like everyone likes any aftermarket seat more than the stock one.

I thought about the leather vs. vinyl as well, when I talked to the Travelcade guys and told them how I used my bike they recommended vinyl.

·
Premium Member
241 Posts
imported post

axelwik wrote:
wexman wrote:
Yep, I'll second that. Far as I'm concerned Corbin is the best. It's the only seat that I can spend 16 hours or more in and not be sore.
I have a 1200 and got 3000 miles on a Corbin and love every minute of it, I travel long distance and no extra padding on my behind! I have to 3rd these remarks. Once you break the Corbin in it's great!

·
Premium Member
1,221 Posts
imported post

I have a Travelcade Roadsofa its great no more bum ache ,Does the Corbin shape to your butt or does your butt shape to the seat. Tried the Corbin on a mates bike was like having no seat at all.:waving::waving::waving:

·
Premium Member
241 Posts
imported post

SHREK snr wrote:
I have a Travelcade Roadsofa its great no more bum ache ,Does the Corbin shape to your butt or does your butt shape to the seat. Tried the Corbin on a mates bike was like having no seat at all.:waving::waving::waving:
The corbin memory foam will shape to your butt after 1000 miles.

·
Premium Member
72 Posts
imported post

Ok, a little research after riding 180 miles and aching. Figured my cheeks are hanging off the side :?

First one that looks interesting is 'gel': http://geltecproducts.com/detail.aspx?ID=23

Second is 'air' through JC Whitney: http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/Product/tf-VehicleBrowse/s-10101/Pr-p_Product.CATENTRY_ID:2007054/showCustom-0/p-2007054/N-200008236+111+1994+600003110/c-10111

And the http://www.saddlemen.com/olderseats.html ROAD SOFA

I just put a Mustang on my Yamaha and it was definitely worth it. Now all I have to do is save up for a Road Sofa for the Goldwing.

Hope this helps a little.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

tpwood wrote:
The corbin memory foam will shape to your butt after 1000 miles.
Wow, I'd have to cover the seat when I wasn't riding, I wouldn't want anyone to have to look at that!

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.