Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I have always been an aggressive rider and still am. WhenI was growing up we did not have 150 hp. middleweight street bikes and 100 hp. touring bikes. You could ride hard and push the bikes without getting crazy fast. Every motorcycle thatI had, I rode as fast and as hard asI could get away with. Most of my riding companions did too. I'm talking about starting out on a home made minibike and working up to the British bikes of the 60's and early 70's.

I amof the belief that riding somewhat aggressively is safer in some conditions. On multi lane rural roads ( and Interstates & Freeways) I feel it is safer to be moving slightly forward through traffic than it is to move with traffic. When you are moving forward in a safe manner you do not disappear in anyone's view. You are always the new game. Other drivers are always becoming aware of you, not forgetting that you are there. You also get a fresh view of what's ahead all the time. A vehicle does not disappear from your view hidden behind the box van. By moving forward in traffic you are constantly visually re-sweeping the field.

There's more. When you ride aggressively, you tend to be more aware, more keen , more tuned into the bike and your surroundings. Less likely to be mesmerized by the drone of traffic.

Now mind you that I am not advocating reckless riding or riding with others in a way that would be intimidating to them. You must also be polite to cagers with a thought to not soliciting bad feelings towards motorcyclists. But when it's you (or you and a like minded partner)in traffic, I say go! Ride it like you stole it!

I am not trying to start an argument, but am looking forward to others opinions..

·
Disfunctional Nimatode
3,381 Posts
imported post

Yeah...........I run a little faster just to keep out of blind spots. I also like to have control of thetraffic flow rather thanhaving people dodging all over the place and going around me. FWIW.

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
imported post

For me I guess it depends on the traffic. If Im on the highway I'll go with the flow, but if I see a clearing behind me, I will ride in that clearing. If there is heavy traffic, then I feel more comfortable going with the flow, riding behind someone or in front of someone who already knows Im there, they know what my break lights look like, they know were I am in my lane so they can always spot me.... Just feels better to me. Now if I don't sense that from the drivers around me, then yes, I will get farther ahead till I find that comfort spot.

However I get real aggressive on the back roads all alone....... I am my biggest enemy then...

·
Token Canuk
8,236 Posts
imported post

There is Aggressive riding accompanied with common sense and skill, then there is Aggressive riding accompanied with "Stupidity" . Unfortunatly the latter creates the bad name & reputations.
Ride "Safe" :action::action:

·
Premium Member
5,106 Posts
imported post

it really depends if you drive through town and you know the town well you know how to avoid traffic and how to dodge the no-escape scenario

if i ride through town during rush hour the 12 miles home normally takes me 20 minutes from home to work at 6am

if i ride through town at 4-5pm it takes me 1 1/2 hours to get home due to traffic we have 3 bridges in town that cross over to illinois and it gets extrmely busy.

most of the time i take the interstate most people dont like the superslab, but it beats sitting in traffic for 20-30 minutes

other than that i try to be a bit of everything rider i wear a reflective vest i use at work "one size fits all" lol
i put it on even in the day time i look like a nerd but hey what ever gets you noticed,

anymore with the cellphones and the people eating the triple, bypass, 9pound baconator things and driving at the same time you cant "read" the traffic like you used to years ago, most of the time a simple nod or a howdy doody and they knew you were there.

what i see now is just blatent ignorance the "i own the road" attitude from a 60yr old in a prius... so i just try to get from point A to point B in one piece screw the scratches lol...

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
imported post

Iv'e spent many hrs on short track stockcar oval's.
When you drive a car that is a little faster than the others it is so much easier and you end up in way fewer accidents. On the otherhand if you have a car that is slower than the others you are a pinball getting run over and having no control .
So yes moving slightly faster than the traffic seems to me to be safer. You are in control. If the traffic does not know your there till your by them you have done good.
Wilf

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
imported post

The less time you spend alongside someone who may be named "R. Sole", the less opportunity you have of finding out he/she is an "R. Sole".

·
Premium Member
1,046 Posts
imported post

For me, it all depends on the traffic. My location (Winnebago Co, Il.)normally doesn't have the wall to wall traffic, so I generally set my cruise at 5 over the posted speed. Now when I get into a bigger town (Chicago/Milwaukee), I found it is a lot easier to be one of the ones who pass more then gets passed.

·
Premium Member
1,451 Posts
imported post

A rationalization of bad driving behavior; I love it. Now all I need is a way to rationalize a loud exhaust, riding without a helmet, and putting car parts on my motorcycle.

Wait, how about just riding safe? Like not assuming that just because I keep passing cars that they remember where I am, and I KEEP TRACK OF WHERE THEY ARE, AND STAY OUT OF BLIND SPOTS, maintain safe distances from those ALL around me, and travel at speed appropriate for conditions.

Bill

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
imported post

Here ya go:

C'mon everyone, you know the words, sing along.

A) Loud pipes save lives, man.
B) Helmets just suffocate you, and they'll break your neck if you crash.
C) Motorcycle parts are a ripoff by "The man" to make you spend unnecessary dollars.

(not my views, but - you asked for it.) ;)

·
Friend of Bill W.
1,930 Posts
imported post

77Pinto wrote:
A rationalization of bad driving behavior; I love it. Now all I need is a way to rationalize a loud exhaust, riding without a helmet, and putting car parts on my motorcycle.

Wait, how about just riding safe? Like not assuming that just because I keep passing cars that they remember where I am, and I KEEP TRACK OF WHERE THEY ARE, AND STAY OUT OF BLIND SPOTS, maintain safe distances from those ALL around me, and travel at speed appropriate for conditions.

Bill
I am putting studded snow tires on my bike!

·
Premium Member
3,200 Posts
imported post

[line]
Sorry but I don't equate "aggressive driving" with "bad driving behavior". Just doesn't make sense to me. It's a situational thing. I hate having my forward vision obstructed by vehicles like big rigs, trailers, RV's, or even pick up trucks. And that's true even when I'm driving the wife's car. Are there times when toning down your riding habits is called for? Of course there are. But does that equate with "safe driving"? Hardly.

Ride within your comfort zone is what I say. And let me ride within mine. And...I almost forgot....after I pass you do me a favor and see if all my tail lights are burning.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
8,242 Posts
imported post

77Pinto wrote:

Bill
:lash::lash::lash: :raspberry:

P.S.

I love my car tire !:smiler:

·
Premium Member
5,382 Posts
imported post

I prefer the term ASSERTIVE riding / driving. I don't push anyone around and they don't push me around. Aggressive implies being a bit pushy.

·
Premium Member
2,919 Posts
imported post

I ride with conviction, but not aggression. I try to stay below the speed at which the bar-end vortices trail beyond my backrest. :)

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
imported post

I would call it assertive driving also and I do drive with assertion. I pay attention to how other people are driving, if they are preoccupied with something other than driving then I will put distance between us

·
Premium Member
2,076 Posts
imported post

My father was a police driving instructor back home in the UK . When i passed my test he said now that you know how to ride ill show you how to ride right. Ive done riding courses where they teach you when to be aggressive and when not when to use speed and when not and how to read the road ahead . Then when i passed my driving test i did the same in a car

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
imported post

Just find me that pocket between packs of traffic...let me pace that traffic...those significantly faster than average go by me...those significantly slower I go by...but all the time I stay in that pocket.

And I will ride the throttle or brake to get into that pocket. That pocket where I have the maximum visibility and invisibility, and the space to use both to my advantage.

I'm sure that sounds positively scandalous to some...my last and only cycle accident was in 1982, I think my tactics are effective.

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
imported post

ob1quixote wrote:
Just find me that pocket between packs of traffic...let me pace that traffic...those significantly faster than average go by me...those significantly slower I go by...but all the time I stay in that pocket.
I find that if you lag to far behind the vehicle in front of you, and there is a big gap behind you, you are inviting someone to turn left in front of you, which is the biggest cause of deadlymotorcycle accidents

1 - 20 of 65 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.