Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
24,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, my 2 year old AGM battery is not holding a charge, so I popped it out, and popped the cover off the holes and sure enough, all 6 cells were dry.
I filled them, they took about 4/5 of a pint, put it on the charger, so now we'll see how long it takes to charge it.

·
Premium Member
138 Posts
I always stick my little finger in one of the battery holes, Pull it out and taste of it. I want to get the water and acid balanced.
Now all bullshit aside how is the battery . Charging are more time to see,

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
24,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, of course I overfilled it, and the holes have guards or something so you can't suck the water out. So, during charging, the water is getting out of the seals and running all over the workbench, but I keep mopping up and hopefully it will get right after a while so I can put it back in the bike...or, maybe I'll just buy a new battery. No more sealed models for this bike.

·
Premium Member
2021 Can-Am Spyder RT
1,432 Posts
Dennis, I think you should not have added that much water. The old flooded cell battery needs all that fluid. The AGM has the fluid absorbed into the glass matte. It's been a while but I think the cells will look dry. I'm sure someone will come along with more information as to how much fluid you should see in an AGM battery.

·
Premium Member
138 Posts
Never use water in AGM battery. Always use battery acid. Like AZgl1800 said they are not like flood cell batteries.Check around the net for AGM information. Also charge with low volt battery charger.

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
You have junked your battery. Good AGM batteries are sealed gas tight, and have relief valves to allow overpressure to escape while not allowing air into the battery or the electrolyte to dry out. That you could even get to the cells means it was probably more of a maintenance free lead acid, and not a true AGM.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
24,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The battery is a Yuasa YTX24, and as I understand it from their literature, it is an AGM.
However It comes to the customer dry, with the acid in a container.

·
Registered
31 Posts
last agm i bought, which is in my bike now, was advertised and boxed as agm. it came with acid pack to install after purchase. then pop little strip in place to seal holes. i usually get about 6-7 years out of em. but this is on my fist goldwing which has aftermarket stator. we will see.

·
Registered
31 Posts
has to do with shipping. cant ship a charged battery any more, or something. but they ship electric cars???? was dealer mechanic for long time and batteries were always dry, but at dealer level, we got gallon containers with a spigot and hose to fill multi batteries and put them on charging station to keep hot for next customer. that was in the early eighties thru about 2000 when i went independant.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
24,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The only M/C battery that lasted me 6 years was the original Yuasa in my '80 CB750 F. I jump started a Lincoln with the bike and the battery gave out soon after. Now, most of those years were in Oregon so it can't be compared to the AZ climate. Here, 2 years seems to be the limit.
And Clay, it would be helpful to know what bike and where when you post. Please put that info in your signature or profile for us.

·
Administrator
29,475 Posts
has to do with shipping. cant ship a charged battery any more, or something. but they ship electric cars???? was dealer mechanic for long time and batteries were always dry, but at dealer level, we got gallon containers with a spigot and hose to fill multi batteries and put them on charging station to keep hot for next customer. that was in the early eighties thru about 2000 when i went independant.
I have recently ordered and received 2 sealed AGM motorcycle batteries, charged and ready to go. I too remember when our batteries came dry and we had to fill and charge them. We used a 5 gallon container of electrolyte.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Just get an Odyssey battery and be done with it. I put one in my 88. I drained it twice with the key in the ACC position by mistake. Charged it back up both times and it started the bike like it was just put in. It was 7 years old when I sold the bike. It was still going strong. And this was running the bike in the So Cal high desert in 100 plus degree days all summer long.

Had one in a Suzuki that did not get used that much. It was also 7 years old and was still cranking when I sold that bike.

Here is the one for your 87 wing.

Battery Search | ODYSSEY® Battery (odysseybattery.com)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts