Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 10KVA Auxiliary Generator that uses the same size AGM battery that we have in our 1500 and 1800 Goldwings.

Yesterday, I got it out so that I could run an Air Compressor a goodly distance away from any possible shore power sources....

The Aux Gen has been stored in my attached garage for almost 3 years without having been exercised.
Life got in the way, what can I say.

I was apprehensive that it would not start, but start it did and it sounded like it was fully charged.

This just goes to show, that if we can isolate all of the parasitic drain sources off of our bike batteries, they can sit idle for many months, in my case nearly 3 years without being charged and topped off.

My 1800 will NOT survive more than about 3 months without the battery being maintained with a Battery Tender.... but, the ECM needs to have a small amount of power to maintain certain internal values.

Like radio memory presents, etc.

If we could put up with the problems of having to reprogram every thing each time, we could use a Disconnect Switch like in airplanes and boats, to isolate the battery so it does not get discharged.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Why not just use a battery maintainer...........lol....:D
the 1800 does not know how to sleep without a Battery Tender, she snores too loud. o_O

1 - 4 of 4 Posts