Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Impersonating a mechanic
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I have a Scorpion YTX24-HL-BS battery on a 1200 Aspy. Scorpion website rates it at 350 CCA. It was purchased about two years ago and has about 4500 miles on it, 4000 of which were from a long trip in the summer of 2010.

The battery is fully charged (13.7 volts), but when checked at a local shop for available CCAit shows only 250 amps. Temperature of battery when tested was about 20° F.

My question is this:

How cold is cold in CCA? I plan to keep the battery indoors and take it to be tested again Monday, but am I wasting my time? Can you tell from the above info that it's just a doorstop now? Thanks.

Edit: typo.

·
Senior Guru
3,589 Posts
imported post

I wouldn't think you need worry about that reading. I fit passed the drop discharge test then the cells are fine.

·
Premium Member
437 Posts
imported post

There is no battery rating for amps, batteries generaly are rated by CCA-Cold Cranking Amps and AH-Ampere Hours.
CCA is usually measured at 32F. If your battery is rated at 350 CCA then you should be able to draw 350Amp for 30 seconds and battery voltage should not drop below 7.2V.
A 100AH battery should deliver 100A for one hour, 5A for 20 hours etc..

Make sure the battery is fully charged before any testing, use a smart charger designed for AGM batteries or a battery tender.

·
Impersonating a mechanic
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

My thanks to you both for the quick replies.

Cal-D wrote:
If your battery is rated at 350 CCA then you should be able to draw 350Amps for 30 seconds.....
OK, but what I don't understand is why it measured just 250 amps when tested. The battery was fully charged. Was it just because it was colder than 32° F?

Also, I may have made a mistake when I asked him to test it because I didn't say "Can you tell me if this will hold a charge", which is what I wanted to know. Didn't see the meter face and don't know enough about it to specify what test I should have asked for. I did tell him that the battery was rated at 350 CCA.

·
Premium Member
2,790 Posts
imported post

newer style testers used at some stores can measure the batteries electronically which sounds as what happened here,what it says by the 225ccs figure is battery only has about 2/3 of its original lifecycle,if indeed it was originally

·
Impersonating a mechanic
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

neoracer wrote:
newer style testers used at some stores can measure the batteries electronically which sounds as what happened here,what it says by the 225ccs figure is battery only has about 2/3 of its original lifecycle,if indeed it was originally
Thanks, neoracer, but I'm not sure what you mean by "lifecycle". Does that mean it has only the 250 amps (the number he gave me) available now for starting?

·
Senior Moment Member
3,707 Posts
imported post

CCA is Cold Cranking Amps, Amps taken at 0 deg F. As Cal-D pointed out the voltage should not drop below 7.2 V.

CA is Cranking Amps, Amps taken at 30 deg F. This will be higher than the CCA because the chemical reactions of your battery are faster the higher the temperature.

HCA is Hot Cranking Amps taken at 80 deg F. Even higher.

All of these ratings are confusing and are mostly for marketing anyway. Just rely on the CCA for your use.

That being said your battery appears to be wearing if it cannot get above 250 AMPs for 30 seconds without the voltage dropping below 7.2 volts at 20 deg. F.

The better question is are you going to be riding your bike at 20 deg??, Is the battery still under warranty, if so have it retested and you may get a replacement minus any depreciation.

If it is not under warranty I would probably just use it but keep an eye on its condition.

Henry

·
Impersonating a mechanic
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

Hanko wrote:
...your battery appears to be wearing if it cannot get above 250 AMPs for 30 seconds without the voltage dropping below 7.2 volts at 20 deg. F.
Thanks, Henry. When I have the battery re-tested on Monday, I'll ask if that is what the test is telling us. And no, I will not be riding the bike at 20°F. I'll check the warranty too. I appreciate your suggestions.

·
Premium Member
1,215 Posts
imported post

Are you or did you have problems with the performance of the battery while in the bike ?

Jim
:?:?:?:?

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
imported post

Possibly the battery had a flash charge. the volts can reach charged readings before the battery has a full charge.
Like Cal D Charge it for at least a day with a proper charger before testing.
Wilf

·
Senior Moment Member
3,707 Posts
imported post

You have a good point wilf. The battery should be allowed to rest off of the charger for at least an hour before you take the voltage reading.

·
Impersonating a mechanic
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

Jim,

Yes, I did have problems with the starting system. Last fall, I began having trouble getting the starter to turn over. I think it was when cold.

The bikehasn't been ridden since last fall because we're out herein Idaho sporadically (visiting grandchildren). It's in the mountains at about 6000 feet, where the winter the temps typically top out in the 20's, there's snow on the roads, and the garage is unheated. So riding and shop time are limited.

So I thought I'd start with the battery, since it's easy, and then take a look at the starter, cleaning it and replacing brushes, or whatever, if necessary.

Wilf and Henry,

I had charged the battery overnight (B.T.Plus), but then had it tested within an hour of removing it from the charger. It's now been indoors for 24 hours -- off the charger -- and this morning registered 13.05 volts on a multimeter. This sounds to meas if it'sfully charged, but I could put it on the charger again today, take it off tomorrow and let it sit before having it tested again, just to be sure.

Thanks to you all for the replies. I'm open to any and all suggestions.

·
Premium Member
2,790 Posts
imported post

pulled this from the odyssey battery website,maybe this will help
http://www.odysseyfactory.com/faq.html#1

Q. What is the CCA rating?

A. The cold cranking ampere (CCA) rating refers to the number of amperes a battery can support for 30 seconds at a temperature of 0°F until the battery voltage drops to 1.20 volts per cell, or 7.20 volts for a 12V battery. Thus, a 12V battery that carries a rating of 600 CCA tells us that the battery will provide 600 amperes for 30 seconds at 0°F before the voltage falls to 7.20V.

what this tells me is that if your battery was 350 new and is now 250 it is 70% as good as it was new,may be wrong but thats my understanding of the situation,as it was explained to me by an Exide battery rep years ago when i worked in an autoparts store,at what point a battery becomes unusable i would think that below 50% would become suspect for reliablity, others may know better than me

most batteries,especially lead acid only have a six month warranty,some one year,the odyssey batteries i just bought are warrantied for two years,but then again the cost is pretty much twice as much depending on where the purchase is made

·
Premium Member
1,215 Posts
imported post

I have a AGM battery in mine i got from Advaced Auto Parts, if i remember correctly with some coupon i got if for about $75.
It's been fine for about 2 years now, but seldon gets that cold here.

Think i would try a new battery before diving into the stater. But the guys here know a lot more than i.

Jim

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
imported post

The battery that came new on your bike was a Y50-N18L-A rated at 260CCA so your battery is like a slightly used OEM battery.

If you're having starting/cranking problems I'd be looking elsewhere.

·
Impersonating a mechanic
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
imported post

rideandslidejim wrote:
Think i would try a new battery before diving into the stater. But the guys here know a lot more than i.

Jim
Thanks for your comments, Jim and neoracer.

Not sure if it's a typo, Jim, but I'm thinking of checking out the starter, not the stator. I remember readinga "how-to"on this site for starter removal and refurbishing which didn't sound too daunting. MrMagicFingers(?) wrote it, I think.

neoracer thanks, for the clear explanation and link. I think I understand it much better now.

Ken, it's great to know thatthe bikeoriginally came with a 260CCA battery. Knowing that, I tend to agree that it may not be the battery (or may be more than just the battery).

At any rate, I'll check in here again after the batery re-test tomorrow. Many thanks to all.

·
Premium Member
2,790 Posts
imported post

that starter is extremely tight fit in and out,just be sure that when you reinstall it to lube around the o-ring on the nose,cutting it will cause an oil leak which is hard to track down,been there,done that

·
Impersonating a mechanic
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
imported post

As previously mentioned, I had the test re-run on my (warm) battery this morning. It read 267 CCA. I understand what this means fromthis thread,and I assume that it also means that I will have 267 VDC available for starting, when the battery is fully charged. Is this correct?

Since the rated CCA of the battery is 350, does this mean I still have 76% -- 267/350 -- of the battery's "lifecycle" remaining?

Thanks.

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
imported post

PAPete wrote:
As previously mentioned, I had the test re-run on my (warm) battery this morning. It read 267 CCA. I understand what this means fromthis thread,and I assume that it also means that I will have 267 VDC available for starting, when the battery is fully charged. Is this correct?

Since the rated CCA of the battery is 350, does this mean I still have 76% -- 267/350 -- of the battery's "lifecycle" remaining?

Thanks.
The CCA rating is like HP rating, it's at the brochure and seldom seen in real life.:ROFL:

Cold cranking amps (CCA) is a measurement of the number of amps a battery can deliver at 0 ° F for 30 seconds and not drop below 7.2 volts.
As your starter probably never draws over 100A you could likely crank the starter for over for a minute and a half or more before the battery would be considered dead.

·
Impersonating a mechanic
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
imported post

Ken Bergen wrote:
As your starter probably never draws over 100A you could likely crank the starter for over for a minute and a half or more before the battery would be considered dead.
Thanks, Ken. I seem to remember that sometimes the starter would just barely turn over. Something jogged my memory a little --thanks,neoracer --and I now think it occurred when the bike was warm, and I was attempting a re-start. Would you suspect the starter and/or the wiring to it? Thanks.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.