Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Large Member
788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went out to start the wing today and it was dead. Yesterday I started it, let it run, and turned it off-almost. Actually left it in P so the lights killed the battery overnight. Charging the battery now, AGM type DEKA brand. Battery is pulling all of the 2A setting and has been for about 2 hrs. If I toggle the charger to 6A, it's highest setting, it dumps right to 6A. What current rating should I be using? For now it's gonna be 2A and let it soak overnight. I'm not sure about the AGM types, and their charging procedure. If anyone knows, please share the knowledge..

·
It aint rocket science
3,966 Posts
A good rule of thumb for most anything is, when in doubt low and slow.:)

A similar saying while docking a boat on a windy day is, go slow and hit something cheap.:ROFL:

I just installed an AGM battery in my ride and was a little confused about voltage readings of 12.8V or higher after charging and within one half hour testing per the manual. Sure it was reading 12.8V or higher but voltage was still dropping during the half hour. I think the instructions were more written towards a stand by or on the shelf storage scenario.

I devised my own way to remove any static charge for battery testing on the Yuasa replacement. I jabbed it with a 70A load from my tester for 10 seconds and voltage would remain rock solid after recovery at 12.6V, good enough for me. With either 70A load or during cranking of starter motor of bike (110A draw) voltage does not drop below 11.3V ;)

·
Large Member
788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah that's what I'm thinkin, no need to cook the battery when I have plenty of time to do it slowly.

·
Premium Member
2,790 Posts
i normally use a 5A Battery Tender all the time whenever i am not riding

·
Premium Member
52 Posts
The standard rule of thumb with AGM batteries is the slower the better. The rule says 2amp for 24 hours or 1 amp for 48 hours. The slower the charge the better. A battery tender will do the best job on an AGM.

·
Premium Member
1,232 Posts
I use 120 ah AGM batteries in motor home and camper trailer applications and rapid charge them all the time (40-150 amp charging circuits). My main reason for using AGM type batteries is their ability to take high current/ high voltage charging for rapid recovery.

·
Premium Member
1,361 Posts
Manufacturers almost always recommend a very slow charge rate for a dead battery. I'd slow charge for 24 hrs and see how it goes from there.

·
Large Member
788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
battery fine after an all night charge at 2A. It's back on the bike and have been riding it. Gotta remember to turn that key ALL the way to lock and not P. I use a cover at night since I don't have a garage and couldn't see the lights-it was day time anyway when I did it so..... this was strictly operator error, no fault of bike or battery.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.