Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you do with AGM battery in the winter? Do you need a speical tender? First year with a AGM I don't want to destroy it. Thank You all. JIM

·
Trike Master
1,266 Posts
http://batterytender.com/
All Deltran(Battery Tender) battery chargers will charge all types of lead acid batteries: either flooded (standard STD), sealed maintenance free Absorbed Glass Mat (AGM), or sealed maintenance free gelled electrolyte (GEL) batteries. However, for optimum battery performance in deep cycle applications (for example, running a trolling motor), it is best to chose the Deltran charger that has the charging software specifically designed for the battery type. Fortunately, since the technical staff at Deltran has developed charging software that works equally well for both STD & AGM batteries, the only choice to be made is between 2 models: either STD & AGM or GEL software.

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
What do you do with AGM battery in the winter? Do you need a speical tender? First year with a AGM I don't want to destroy it. Thank You all. JIM
Winter? What is this thing you call... "winter?"

Down here in Texas... we just ride... and ride... and ride... and ride...

Ain't no winter... ain't no spring... ain't no fall.

Just summer... hot summer... really hot summer... and "Sunward Surface of Mercury" summer...

T

·
Premium Member
4,948 Posts

Just summer... hot summer... really hot summer... and "Sunward Surface of Mercury" summer...

T
:):waving:

·
Premium Member
8,242 Posts

T
I bet you wish you had a little of that stuff called RAIN too ?

o.k. no more hijacking..............

If you do not want to take the battery out of the MC, get a battery tender (the real McCoy). They work fantastic.

·
Premium Member
344 Posts
Is there a real difference between a "battery tender" and an old fashioned "trickle" charger?

And, Yeah! What 385 South said!

Chief

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
I leave mine in the bike and give a shot from the 6 amp charger overnight once a month.
That is plenty to keep it up and happy.
Got 7 years out of my last AGM that way.
I understand the true tenders work well but I hate using things that let me avoid checking on them because I will. And invariably when I come back to things I've put off my mind too long, things usually aren't where I wanted them to be at all.
Like tires, valve stems, batteries, timing belts, rust, fuel etc.

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
I leave mine in the bike and give a shot from the 6 amp charger overnight once a month.
That is plenty to keep it up and happy.
Got 7 years out of my last AGM that way.
I understand the true tenders work well but I hate using things that let me avoid checking on them because I will. And invariably when I come back to things I've put off my mind too long, things usually aren't where I wanted them to be at all.
Like tires, valve stems, batteries, timing belts, rust, fuel etc.
How does one contest that wisdom? I cannot be done...

I love you Rudy! You da man!

Seebeechief... I am close at hand... PM me... come ride with us!

·
Premium Member
593 Posts
I have had some people tell me that AGM and Gel are the same. They are both maintenance free but they are different. The idea of different software for the different types of batteries makes sense. My friend had a gel in a Yamaha Venturer. It was dead after a winter and would not take a charge from a regular maintenance charger. He went to a dealer who was honest and told him to bring the battery in. They put it on the right type of charger and it lasted several years after that.

Seebeechief, there is a difference between a trickle charger and a maintenance charger. You can boil out a battery with the trickle charger if you leave it on too long. They often charge at 1amp while the maintenance chargers charge at 2amps, but when they get the battery to a certain level they stop charging and monitor the battery until it drops down to a set level and then they kick in again. Real nice for long term storage.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.