Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Forum Diplomat
7,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

My Darling Red and I ordered a Isolator and a universal harness for the ST from Open Road Outfitters (http://www.motorcycletrailerstore.com/ )....got here in a day and a half.....

Took us two hours to put it in, but with her slender, quick fingers, and my extensive and polished vocabulary of cuss words..... we looked at each other and said,

"Let there be light!"

And there was........... ahahahahahahah!

Everything blinks on command, but my wire joinings are kind of dodgy....about as dependable as my bladder these days....guess I need to learn to solder......

·
Premium Member
186 Posts
imported post

Cousin Jack wrote:
guess I need to learn to solder......
Jack you don't have to learn anything just buy these:
http://www.fastenal.com/web/products/detail.ex?sku=0710574&ucst=t

Crimp them then heat them up till the solder and the heat shrink melts into place and you never have to touch them again.

Address to a store in your town:
Store Code: WAELE
Hours: 7:00am - 5:00pm M-F
Phone: 509-925-2808
Fax: 509-925-2812
2060 Vantage Highway, Ste 35
Ellensburg, WA 98926
Map and directions

·
Forum Diplomat
7,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

1983goldie wrote:
Cousin Jack wrote:
guess I need to learn to solder......
Jack you don't have to learn anything just buy these:
http://www.fastenal.com/web/products/detail.ex?sku=0710574&ucst=t

Crimp them then heat them up  till the solder and the heat shrink melts into place and you never have to touch them again. 

Address to a store in your town:
Store Code: WAELE
Hours: 7:00am - 5:00pm M-F
Phone: 509-925-2808
Fax: 509-925-2812
2060 Vantage Highway, Ste 35
Ellensburg, WA 98926
Map and directions
Goldie! I could kiss you, Dude! I'm on it! Gonna go search them out! Thanks, buddy!

·
Premium Member
678 Posts
imported post

Looks great! I wish you two years of enjoyment from it. Now go try it out!

·
Forum Diplomat
7,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

MNSNOWMAN wrote:
Just curious, my friend: why only two years? Do we look that bad?

:ROFL::ROFL::ROFL::ROFL::ROFL::ROFL:

·
Goldwing Addict :-)
12,840 Posts
imported post

Cousin Jack wrote:
MNSNOWMAN wrote:

:ROFL::ROFL:That's the way I read it the first time through too. :ROFL:

So where are you gonna go on your first trial run? :cheesygrin:

John

·
Forum Diplomat
7,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Jluvs2dive wrote:
Cousin Jack wrote:
MNSNOWMAN wrote:

:ROFL::ROFL: That's the way I read it the first time through too. :ROFL:

So where are you gonna go on your first trial run? :cheesygrin:

John
Don't know, John.... we're leaving today for a couple of nights up in the San Juans, but we're taking the Miata and "car-camping." The bike/trailer is hitched and wired and ready to go, but I wanted some practice with the thing before I subject Red to a long ride with it. When we get back, I'll just cruise around Kittitas County for awhile, 200-300 miles, getting used to how the bike feels with the trailer, and making sure it ain't a'gonna kill us!

·
Goldwing Addict :-)
12,840 Posts
imported post

Cousin Jack wrote:
Don't know, John.... we're leaving today for a couple of nights up in the San Juans, but we're taking the Miata and "car-camping." The bike/trailer is hitched and wired and ready to go, but I wanted some practice with the thing before I subject Red to a long ride with it. When we get back, I'll just cruise around Kittitas County for awhile, 200-300 miles, getting used to how the bike feels with the trailer, and making sure it ain't a'gonna kill us!
Looks like I'm gonna do Chinook pass again on Sunday. I've got a good friend that just picked up his new Yamaha Super Tenere adventure bikea few weeks ago and he's been wanting to do Chinook with me. Oh dang, I have to subject myself to the beauty of that pass again. :ROFL:

Have fun up on the islands!:waving:

John

·
Premium Member
678 Posts
imported post

Yes. I only wish that you get 2 years of enjoyment out of it, and then sell it to me! Guess I should have proof read that. Especially around here. :baffling:

·
Premium Member
407 Posts
imported post

Cousin Jack, I was surprised to see those things again after all these years. They're actually an old practice. They were used extensively in aircraft. I was a QA guy building F-16's in Fort Worth thirty years ago and they used them a lot. I had to inspect them. Those were small 18ga and smaller low currant signal wires, and they were soldered with very specific hot air machinery by a very strict MIL Spec. They're quick and good but for only very controled install conditions. Even the smallest wire on a wing is probably bigger than they are designed for. If it were up to me I'd rather have a tight twist and a good hot iron, flux and adequate solder. A good wet solder joint and heat shrink with Scotch electrical tape over that.
The little splices you linked are good but require a very controlled installation, and just don't hold enough solder inside them to make a good joint on the larger diameter wires. Only my opinion which may or may not be worth anything.

Oh by the way, dammed good job!

·
Premium Member
186 Posts
imported post

The ones linked are for 16 and 14 guage wire they make these for as large.as 10ga. They are rated for exactly what Jack is looking to do with them.

·
Premium Member
1,790 Posts
imported post

Yeh. What he said.

·
Premium Member
1,103 Posts
imported post

Everything blinks on command, but my wire joinings are kind of dodgy..

Way to much information here:banana::banana::banana:

·
Forum Diplomat
7,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
imported post

TXRLGL1500 wrote:
Where are the pics of the new overtheroad Palace. All I see is a tire and fender??????
You musta missed them.....

up.....

down

·
Premium Member
87 Posts
imported post

I'm starting to see a pattern here with wingers and bad spelling and know punctuation,
or is that just a biker thing ? maybe we were ridein when everybody else was learnin .

:action:

·
Premium Member
12,056 Posts
imported post

Is Reds Miata going to get a trailer hitch so you
can do some sports car touring?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.