Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I have been fighting a backfire when you back off the throttle for quite some time and I found out that if I block off the vacuum line in the air filter (the one that goes to the secondary air supply) the back fire quits. I have 182,000 miles on this 1988 and the leak down test only shows 3 to 5% so it is not a exhaust valve issue. My question is can I just block off the vacuum line in the air filter and not do any damage to anything?

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Check out your shot air valve system, that's the one that is supposed to by bypass air around the carb during closed throttle decelleration to prevent excessive engine braking and also preventing backfiring by introducing air into the exhaust system

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
imported post

I was working on my wing today (carb)and found if you have a vacuum line off ,cracked or split on the left side mainfold it will cause the same condition.This may be somewhere to start.

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Ireplace all vacuum lines last year and just completed a smoke test to ensureI didn't have any leak. Thanks for the suggestion anyhow.

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

The Shot Air System is the same as the Secondary Air System I was referring to (AICV Valve). Thanks for your input

Jack,

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.