Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

On previous posts I have asked for advice on a very slight backfire on over-run on the left hand side of my GL1500.

It has been suggested that I have a leak or restriction in the vacuum system on the left hand side of the engine and so I have set about trying to find it. Upon taking the air box lid off I noticed that the left hand side is "oily". (See Photograph)

Could this be caused by the vacuum problem or is it in any way related ?

I have a K&N filter fitted.

If I need to remove the air box completely are there any hints on how to do this please ?

Attachments

·
Senior Guru
3,873 Posts
imported post

hi ron that oil is ok its oil vapour remove the six screws holding the caseing to the carbs and the two going into the breather hose the screws do not come out all the way its a safty thing so you dont drop any down the carbs there is one tricky hose at the front right hand can be orkward to get back on long nose plyers should do ,there is a couple ofdrain hosessticking down under the bike with plugs on the end open these and let any fluids run out and one more thing when fitting the caseing back make sure its seated prop

·
Premium Member
5,734 Posts
imported post

l`ll bet he gets a bunch of liquid out of those tubes .

·
Premium Member
465 Posts
imported post

Hi Ron, those screws probably wont budge trying to remove them by hand but come out pretty easily with an impact screw gun.

Agnogel, I'm pretty sure that I got that upper right hose seated properly after three tries but what signs would there be if its not?

·
Premium Member
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Thanks for all the tips.

The tubes are not full of gunge as I empty them very regularly.

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

Actually vacuum problems and or the lack of it will not cause that problem. Crankcase pressure is what causes that type of situation.

I do not see too many 1500 bikes, only on the occasional maintenance day we have, but I do remember under the carbs is a small tank that is part of the breather system.

I would assume that this is full, or clogged and the actual drain/relief hose is not doing you much good.

I think the carbs have to be out of the way to get the thing out. Might be able to wrap a rag around it and back blow it with compressed air.

Kit

·
Premium Member
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Hi Kit,

Please tell me more about how I might cure this problem ? I really don't want to take off the carbs as this is probably beyong my skills and experience.

Where is the tank and what do I blow ?

Would this cause the problem on one side only ? (left)

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

Well I have a photo of it, but it is on a PFD file and I am not real computer smart , so forget that.

On the left side, will be a black box with a larger hose from the air box down to it, and another hose off the block and a drain hose angled out at 90 degrees and down to and under the frame. I think you can get to the clamp, really do not remember, only done this once. But I am sure something is stopped up. As for oil only on the lefts side, I think maybe it is just the amount of airflow thought the filter and air box is characteristic to that bike. Should not do it at all, but have seen that with several bikes where it would let oil vapor coat one chamber and not the other. Not exactly sure why, is my most honest answer to that one. But clearing the breather has always solved it.

I would think you can take the larger hose off the top and back blow the box(is not square, is not round, but formed to fit the space) enough to make sure it is clear for now.

If you cannot get to it, and do not want to tear the bike apart, simply extend the upper hose , let it fall on the ground, the only reason it has a box on the 1500 and an little container on the 1800 is to suit the ecology/pollution standards at manufacture.

Also on this site is a GL1500 manual you can download and under maintenance page in chapter 3 it briefly addresses cleaning of the breather . I simply do not know how to steal the page and put it on this post.

Well I am not standing there at the bike, so I think I would just go from the top, where the hose comes up at the top, stick a compressed air hose into it , stuff a rag around it and let it rip, clear it enough to work and worry about a good cleaning later. I looked at the manual and you are not getting it out of there with the carbs in.

Kit

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

tricky wrote:
Is this the relevant page, I had forgotten I had downloaded the 1500 manual.
Thanks Tricky. That is the one.

Kit

·
Premium Member
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

Thanks to Kit and Tricky for the info.

I am trying to get my head round this, so do I need to take the air box off the carbs (hope not !) or should I be able to get to the tube from the top ? If so, on my picture (see above), where is the place to stick the air pressure nozzle ?

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

I would just yank the hoses and clear them , then hold a rag or something around the air hose and blow the whole thing out. Wrap rag, putty, something around the air hose and blow the contraption out.

Back blow the small drain hose from the bottom, may not completely clean it, but will be good enough.

Kit

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.