Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I recently purchased an 83 Goldwing Aspencade. The problem I have is that the air compressor doesn't work.This is what I've check so far. If I run a hot wire from the batteryto the compressor it runs. If I push the compressor button withign. on nothing happens. There's 12V going into the switch and when you push the button in there's 12v coming out, but no voltage at the compressor. I though that maybe the wire was broken I was thinking of running a new wire from the switch on the handlebar to the compressor. This is whats got me puzzled the wire coming out of the switch is dk green the wire going into the compressor is lime green w/blk strip, it appears to me that the wire from the switch goes somewheres else before it is routed to the compressor.and I can't trace the wire without tearing the bike apart. The bike came with a Clymer Service-Repair-Maintenance 1975 - 1983 but has no info on the air system. I need some info or a wiring diagram for this bike. Also if I put air into the compressor at the air valve (40PSI) an hour later there is no pressure at that valve. I would appreciate any input.

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
imported post

Hi Jim and welcome to the best GoldWing forum on the internet. I will provide you what little information I have in the Honda manual wiring diagram. One caveat, my manual only goes to '82 since I bought it with the bike.

Diagram shows wire running from the pump to the switch is Lg/Bl (Lime green w/ blue tracer) Both the wires from the pump, the other is G (green),run through a two pin connector. Coming out of the connector the G wire goes to the negative side of the accessory post in the fuse box. The other wire on the switch does not show a color but it does show it running through an inline fuse and then connecting to a Br (brown) wire which goes to theright side of the PARK (5 amp) fuse in the box. This provides a switched 12v. Theonly other wires the diagram shows to be affiliated with the pump are for the pressure meter illumination lamp.

One other thing, you mentioned the switch was on the handlebar. It has been a while since I have seen an '83 Aspencade, but I don't remember a switch on the handlebar. All compressor controls were on the compressor control pod on top of the faux tank.

Hope this helps, if not, some one will be along shortly to straighten me out and get you going.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Can you get the compressor to pump air out of the outlet with the ignition switch in park!

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the forum Jim S! :waving:

I also have an 83 Aspencade. You need to push and hold either the front or rear pressure switch while pushing the compressor switch at the same time. The compressor will not work by pushing the compressor button alone.

Push either the front or rear pressure button until thetemp gauge bar changes into a pressure gauge. Then while holding that button down, push the compressor button and the compressor should begin pumping into the front or rear depending on which button you are pressing. Then do the samewith the other. The key needs to be in ACC, run or park position. The manual suggests having the engine running to help keep the battery from being run down.

My bike would not hold any air pressure at all when I bought it. What I did to fix it was take the button assembly apart, clean the button seats and put a little oil on the O-rings to help lubricate and seal the air chamber buttons. One of my buttons was stuck in the depressed position allowing the air to escape the system. Been working great for the last two years!

You should be aware that when you get yours working, if you check the rear air pressure first, the pressure is higher than in the forks and a small amount of air will be in the pressure chamberwhich willbe transfered to the front forks when you check the pressure there. It's not a problem but until I figured it outI kept wondering why the pressure in my forks was slowly increasing!

I hope this helped!

Bob :11grey:

·
Premium Member
620 Posts
imported post

AZWinger wrote:
Welcome to the forum Jim S! :waving:

I also have an 83 Aspencade. You need to push and hold either the front or rear pressure switch while pushing the compressor switch at the same time. The compressor will not work by pushing the compressor button alone.

Push either the front or rear pressure button until thetemp gauge bar changes into a pressure gauge. Then while holding that button down, push the compressor button and the compressor should begin pumping into the front or rear depending on which button you are pressing. Then do the samewith the other. The key needs to be in ACC, run or park position. The manual suggests having the engine running to help keep the battery from being run down.

My bike would not hold any air pressure at all when I bought it. What I did to fix it was take the button assembly apart, clean the button seats and put a little oil on the O-rings to help lubricate and seal the air chamber buttons. One of my buttons was stuck in the depressed position allowing the air to escape the system. Been working great for the last two years!

You should be aware that when you get yours working, if you check the rear air pressure first, the pressure is higher than in the forks and a small amount of air will be in the pressure chamberwhich willbe transfered to the front forks when you check the pressure there. It's not a problem but until I figured it outI kept wondering why the pressure in my forks was slowly increasing!

I hope this helped!

PS make sure the bike is on the center stand whrn filling or checking the air pressure

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
imported post

wingwarrior wrote:
PS make sure the bike is on the center stand whrn filling or checking the air pressure

Thanks wingwarrior! I forgot to mention that and the bike must be at a complete stop also! The pump will not work if the bike is rolling to prevent true "on-the-fly" adjustments!

Bob

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

As far as I know the only Goldwings that can change and measure pressure on the fly are the 85LTD and the 86SEI with the handlebar switches.

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

I appreciate all the input and I tryed it, here's what happens. Nothing happens in park or acc. when I turn the key to run the inst. panel turns on (only in run) the temp gage starts out as a pressure gage with a bar reading for front and rear, it stays on for about 3 sec. regardless of what buttons I push or hold down after about 3 sec the pressure gage disappears it turns into a temp gage. Now could it be that the front or rear button keeps the display on and if that doesn't work properly then the compressor will not operate? I know that there is 12v coming out of the compressor button when I push it in, and the key is in the run position. Let me know?

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
imported post

Jim S wrote:
Now could it be that the front or rear button keeps the display on and if that doesn't work properly then the compressor will not operate? I know that there is 12v coming out of the compressor button when I push it in, and the key is in the run position. Let me know?

Jim S I know my compressor will not work unless I press and hold the front or rear button and the pressure bar is displayed. The temp gauge should change into the pressure gauge whenever you push the front or rear button except when moving. It won't change when moving.

If you haven't already done it, take off the switch cover and check the wire connections.Hopefully one is just loose!

I have scanned the wiring diagrams and can e-mail them if you want them. Send me a PM with your e-mail address if you do.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

It almost sounds like your compressor switch is only making momentary contact or perhaps a relay in the system isn't holding. I believe it should run in the park position for the auxilary output.

·
Premium Member
247 Posts
imported post

Jim,The bike has to be in the on position to work. Then hold down the front or rear button. As long asone is held down, the system should work. Also check to make sure that the plastic cover is not in the way. My cover was in the way so when I pressed the depress button, it would not fully release. Therefore the system would empty. I took the cover off and filed it so the buttons would move freely. Hope this helps. If not, I will try and look at my wiring tomorrow night when I get home.

Jerry

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.