Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,531 Posts
imported post

I think axelwik was just saying there are probably as many different opinions on those as there are oil, everyone is going to have a different opinion. I have a friend who also has a first gear and it works well. I would imagine any name brand - you can usually find reviews of them if you google it.

·
Premium Member
5,928 Posts
imported post

don_berry wrote:
I think axelwik was just saying there are probably as many different opinions on those as there are oil, everyone is going to have a different opinion. I have a friend who also has a first gear and it works well. I would imagine any name brand - you can usually find reviews of them if you google it.
Thanks, I'm good at googling so I'll do that.:D

·
Premium Member
2,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #24

·
Premium Member
2,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
imported post

Cyote61 wrote:
don_berry wrote:
Thanks, I'm good at googling so I'll do that.:D
Yep, there are hundreds of different jackets out there... But if you want to know, I use a Fieldsheer mesh jacket and Hein Gericke overpants. My wife has a MotoGP mesh jacket and Fieldsheer mesh pants.

There are probably better jackets and pants out there, but that's whatthe wife and Iuse.

·
Premium Member
578 Posts
imported post

I was just looking at this post and thinking,

When stuck in traffic on a hot day, wouldn't it be nice just to have a cooling fan.

so what about fitting small fans in the air vents in the fairing that can be swtched by the rider when needed.

If I have the time, I might see if a couple of computer cooling fans will fit and do the job before next summer.

·
Premium Member
217 Posts
imported post

I like the idea or at least a fan of some sort as I moved to Baton Rouge LA 2 years ago from Boston MA and I avoid riding between 11am and 6pm. The heat and humity here in the summer time is for the birds! The folks that lived here before air conditioners were more of a man that I am!

·
Premium Member
1,073 Posts
imported post

There is a company here in Knoxville working on a heated/cooled seat. A cool bottom might be as good as a cool breeze!

·
Premium Member
210 Posts
imported post

In the fire service we have a vest that holds these ice packs that keep us cool in our Chem-Bio suits works great.

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
imported post

I'd like to see a seat cooler so my butt won't sweat and stick to it. :dude:

·
Administrator
57,481 Posts
imported post

I wear a full suit every day to and from work. It is the Joe Rocket brand mesh Kevlar stuff. As I work for the Phoenix Fire Department, I get to see the results of bare skin on pavement temps that exceed +150 degrees on just about any summer day. Also, Kevlar slides very well and you survive with burns.

I have found that when the temps are above +100 all the way up to +118 that I am cooler wearing the mesh suit than if I don't. The suit keeps the direct sun rays off my skin.

One trick I use is to wet down my tee-shirt before I leave work in the evening. The evaporative action works for about 12 miles before it dries out. Very comfortable that way. For longer trips, just use a mister to give you a blast of water every once in a while.

My helmet is a HCI flip up visor full face style. Now that is HOT, no two aways around that. After my ride home in the evenings, the liner is soaked with sweat.

Would I pay for a/c on a motorcylce? You bet your booties I would. The desert country is over +100 degrees F for 3 months or more every year.

John

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

peterbilt wrote:
air conditioning?!?!?!??! your on a MOTORCYCLE if you want ac buy a car jeez
I'd like it too, as well as good heating. :shock::):)Don't want to be stuck in a car, but don't mind the home comforts, after all that is why I ride a Wing. :banana:

·
Registered
515 Posts
imported post

I also would like to see an AC option for a big touring bike. By far the most uncomfortable riding I do is hot and humid and we don't even get that much of it here in MN.

As an alternative to the weight and complexity of an actual AC system (compressor/evaporator/condensor) I wonder if a extra hi output alternator coupled with a solid state cooler and a circulating coolant vest wouldn't be a good option particualrly since the vest could also circulate warm coolant for cold days.

question is if a solid state cooler could provide the required cooling capacity for a vest (or two)

anybody know?

·
Premium Member
6,765 Posts
imported post

RoundmanFabrications wrote:
For extreme hot weather or desert touring, I was thinking of putting one t-shirt inside another, and sewing them together with a circuit of small diameter vinyl tubing in between. Then circulating cold water through the circuit from an ice chest with a small DC pump.
Feasible?
Here is something similar. With just the back pack you have a two hour (one full fuel tank run) "charge" time. You need to wear a leather vest over the"cooling vest" to keep the cooling effect in. It really will take the heat away from your body. When temp's are in the upper 90's to low 100's it will feel like 60 degrees under the leather vest.

·
Premium Member
6,765 Posts
imported post

cldryder wrote:
I also would like to see an AC option for a big touring bike. By far the most uncomfortable riding I do is hot and humid and we don't even get that much of it here in MN.

As an alternative to the weight and complexity of an actual AC system (compressor/evaporator/condensor) I wonder if a extra hi output alternator coupled with a solid state cooler and a circulating coolant vest wouldn't be a good option particualrly since the vest could also circulate warm coolant for cold days.

question is if a solid state cooler could provide the required cooling capacity for a vest (or two)

anybody know?
Veskimo does have a "Y" adapter to run two vest a one time but itwill require one of their larger ice chest.

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

just tow your motorcycle behind the car, and then park it a convinent disatnce from sturgis... ride into town before the weather gets hot, and stop at tommy-t's and buy the patch that says I RODE TO STURGIS

·
Premium Member
6,765 Posts
imported post

Some people have health related issues that they cannot tolerate heat and love to ride. Carol, my wife,has Mutiple Sclerosis andso that is why she uses the Veskimo. I don't use it, but have been tempted to use it when she is not with me. Since we know first hand how great the Veskimo is I am just trying to be helpful to those who wish ride in a "cooler" climate when it is 100 degrees.

21 - 40 of 45 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.