Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I got about 5000 miles under my belt on the 1100 wing that I picked up this spring which is about equal to what has been put on it the past 18 years. Getting the bugs worked out of it the gas mileage has been steadily climbing but I’m still not in the low -mid 40s where I should be. It accelerates smoothly and idles smoothly and all four spark plugs are burning identical and pretty much dead on where they should be but I think there is some problem in the carburetion. When transitioning from throttle off to soft acceleration sometimes it won’t pull all four cylinders evenly and nothing that you do tends to cure it until it decides to cure itself. I have not pulled the float bowls on the carbs yet but I have pulled all the slides out of the throttle bodies flush them out with carb cleaner and wiped them down. When putting them back in they seem to bounce very freely in the throttle body with no sticking so I don’t think my problem is there. I’m thinking it might be the air cut off valves but I’ve never diagnosed them before, I’m not sure what to look for. Anybody know how to tell if the ais a problem or not?

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
It will backfire on deceleration if it’s bad,that is basically why they are on there,
probablysome jets plugged up,run some injector cleaner in it

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,751 Posts
Don't expect too much gas mileage. Mid thirties is about right for normal use. A little higher on a trip.

·
Administrator
26,539 Posts
Don't expect too much gas mileage. Mid thirties is about right for normal use. A little higher on a trip.
I rode 3 1100s quite a bit. The 81 & 82 stds both got 44mpg consistently & the 83 interstate got 47. And I don't ride like a granny.

·
Administrator
26,539 Posts
If the air cut off diaphragms are bad it won't idle right, it is a vacuum leak, they won't cause your problem. It may have plugged main air jets, they are a small jet under the plastic piece under the slides.

Reactions: hitecluddite

·
Premium Member
6,828 Posts
Well I got about 5000 miles under my belt on the 1100 wing that I picked up this spring which is about equal to what has been put on it the past 18 years. Getting the bugs worked out of it the gas mileage has been steadily climbing but I’m still not in the low -mid 40s where I should be. It accelerates smoothly and idles smoothly and all four spark plugs are burning identical and pretty much dead on where they should be but I think there is some problem in the carburetion. When transitioning from throttle off to soft acceleration sometimes it won’t pull all four cylinders evenly and nothing that you do tends to cure it until it decides to cure itself. I have not pulled the float bowls on the carbs yet but I have pulled all the slides out of the throttle bodies flush them out with carb cleaner and wiped them down. When putting them back in they seem to bounce very freely in the throttle body with no sticking so I don’t think my problem is there. I’m thinking it might be the air cut off valves but I’ve never diagnosed them before, I’m not sure what to look for. Anybody know how to tell if the ais a problem or not?
About the only way I know of is to take the covers off and inspect them. I think Pure Texas ( Bless his heart) is thinking of an afterburn (anti-backfire) Valve.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I rode 3 1100s quite a bit. The 81 & 82 stds both got 44mpg consistently & the 83 interstate got 47. And I don't ride like a granny.
Yep I’ve got over 300,000 miles on 1100 wings and you should get low-mid 40’s 😉 only time it would dip into the 30’s would be two up loaded and going west across Kansas up hill the whole tank! lol

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It will backfire on deceleration if it’s bad,that is basically why they are on there,
probablysome jets plugged up,run some injector cleaner in it
Early on I ran Two tanks with a can of sea foam in each tank, if that didn’t flush the jets enough I’ll break down and pull the carbs this spring. It would be a good time to put new throttle cables on.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys I’ll plan on pulling them and making sure jets are clear. I’ve never replaced air cut off valves before, they are pretty cheap and not too hard to do so I’ll probably replace them too. I think I did an accelerator pump once to solve a problem but it didn’t help. I seem to remember it was a pain so since I have smooth strong acceleration I’ll leave it alone

·
Premium Member
3,318 Posts
It has been a long time since I owned an 1100 but I recall it would often act much like you describe when the throttle was in the zone between accelerating and decelerating. The exhaust would have a fluttering sound. I think the slides were sticking somewhat and I started putting a few ounces of Marvel Mystery Oil in the gas tank at about every other fillup and that helped it a lot. Just a little lubrication getting to the slides would make it run better. You might give that a try to see if will help you.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts