Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hello!

I'm new to this forum, and I own a '75 GL1000. I picked it up in May. I am the 3rd owner, and after fixing a few things, she's up and running.

The bike came with air assist on the front and air on the rear. I was wanting to know just how to tell who made the rear setup, and how to tell what year the forks came from since I have read the air was optional on the '78. I was also wondering what air pressure I should be using.

I need to begin taking my daughter to school, and with the weight of me 210, her, 110 and her 20 pound back pack, I noticed that we are creeping up on the load limit of 360. I have seen doubles that weigh about 400 total riding and was wondering how come they can exceed the load limit? Was the limit imposed based on the weak OEM suspension?

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

rrgrassi wrote:
Hello!

I need to begin taking my daughter to school, and with the weight of me 210, her, 110 and her 20 pound back pack, I noticed that we are creeping up on the load limit of 360. I have seen doubles that weigh about 400 total riding and was wondering how come they can exceed the load limit? Was the limit imposed based on the weak OEM suspension?
:waving::waving:Welcome to the Best Goldwing Site on the Internet rrgrassi!:waving::waving:

I think the gross vehicle rating was calculated on suspension and braking factors. That said it's a wonder my 1200 and my current 1500 didn't collapse under me and the woman who hangs around here. I have Progressive springs in the front and Progressive shocks on the rear which help in the suspension department but beyond that I guess if the bike breaks in half Honda has covered themselves with the weight limit. I have the same problem with my truck and slide-in camper, it's about 800lbs overweight. I hope I can get another 200,000 miles out of it. There's rumors that I've flown a couple airplanes a good bit overloaded too. It's up to each rider how much you feel safe with.

·
GERIATRIC MEMBER
57,413 Posts
imported post

rrgrassi wrote:
Hello!

I'm new to this forum, and I own a '75 GL1000.
Hey rrgrassi :waving: [shadow=green]A BIG IRISH WELCOME TO THE FORUM.[/shadow] :clapper:

:leprechaun::18red::leprechaun:

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Thanks for the info exavid!

I still would like to know what air pressure levels I should use on the suspension, cause I do not want to blow out any seals because of too much air.

Thanks again!

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

rrgrassi wrote:
Thanks for the info exavid!

I still would like to know what air pressure levels I should use on the suspension, cause I do not want to blow out any seals because of too much air.

Thanks again!
Hang in there, we have a bunch of GL1000 guys here who'll have that info.

·
Premium Member
1,191 Posts
imported post

ooooooo Redwing is giving out IRISH welcomes./forums/images/emoticons/emoticonsxtra/leprechaun.gif..  Does that include  Balentines served in a glass ?? LOL ... Wecome to the best (Albeit it Irish/forums/images/emoticons/emoticonsxtra/leprechaun.gif)  Goldwing site in the universe................. From another Irishman ( Kennedy )...... and I have never met ANY Wingers who do not overload their front pockets, side bags, top box, or seats...most are at least 300 lbs over the limit...(How could you put only 15 lbs in a side bag ????)... I am sure its a legal thing from Honda../forums/images/emoticons/emoticonsxtra/cooldj.gif SilverDave 

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Will do! I am anewbieof street bikes. Last time I rode a street bike was about 18 years ago, but I used to ride a little Honda 125 xl around the farm land where I grew up through college.

I love the way this Wing rides and handles. Pretty cool to have muscle car power and a smooth supple ride.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.