Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I know it's a bit of a challenge to change the air filter on these..... But.

Here's a bike that normally looks like this......

And because I'm changing the air filter assembly, it looks like this......

Yes, and with the exception of the coolant tank - that IS the minimum teardown required to do this job - every 20k miles. Ugh.....

So - you 1800 and 1500 guys..... I don't wanna hear it........ ;)

That's all. Carry on.

:action::action::action::action::action:

·
Administrator
26,566 Posts
imported post

I never complained about the 1800 air filter, it's not that bad.
That Triumph looks a lot like a CBR does when you change the air filter.

·
Itinerant Wing Preacher
875 Posts
imported post

Surely my eyes deceive me, but that looks remarkably like the carb rack that is loose. Mental note to self, If any body with one of these asks for help, just say no. Jay

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Yup - the carb rack has to come out - to make way for the air cleaner assembly to come out.

Not kidding. Wish I was.

·
Premium Member
63,038 Posts
imported post

Wouldn't be easier to get a new bike ever 20k miles

·
Premium Member
1,822 Posts
imported post

Foodman wrote:
Wouldn't be easier to get a new bike ever 20k miles
First laugh of the day! Thanks:ROFL::ROFL::ROFL:

·
Premium Member
628 Posts
imported post

rgbeard wrote:
Yup - the carb rack has to come out - to make way for the air cleaner assembly to come out.

Not kidding. Wish I was.
That sounds like a disaster of a design.

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
imported post

Kinda like a Spyder oil change and air filter replacement.
But, as was said, meantimes it sure is fun!

Patrick

·
Best looking member
3,107 Posts
imported post

Makes you wonder what they were thinking when they build things today. Well really we do know. Bring it back to the dealer and pay big bucks to have it done.

In the auto shop I work at we had a 06 Toyota Prius in yesterday to change out the HID headlight bulbs. The entire front bumper cover has to come off to change the bulbs. :?:?:?And the bulbs were $259.99 each from Toyota. I think I will stay with my Halogen for a while.

·
Premium Member
616 Posts
imported post

The Brits are not know for designing in easy maintainability. Their older military aircraft were quite something apparently to work on. The old Lightning had two engines, one on top of the other. You had to drop the bottom engine to access the top one! Drop tanks on top of the wing, etc. There's a reason Jaguar sales dipped. Must say tho, those new Triumphs sure seem nice... I like their big 2300 triple - I'm not a huge cruiser fan, but it just does it for me.

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
imported post

Unfortunatly this is a sad state for most vehicles (car, truck and motorcycle)now days.

The manufacturers want to make sure you come back to the dealer for R&R.

It is becoming a standard requirement.

·
Premium Member
3,785 Posts
imported post

Yeh, but that hidden bolt in the bottom of the tail trunk is the real killer.:ROFL:

My youngest has a Street Tripple in Vegas, different bike but we don't discuss owner maintenance. He says my Wing is out-dated, my reply is that his Trumpetis a pain in the ^#$... :gunhead:

Not like in the "OLD DAYS"..... :action:

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

When I finally got around to changing the air filter on my '01 I was a bit apprehensive after hearing all the posts about how much of a pain it was. I was pleasantly surprised to find it wasn't all that much different than the 1500. In some ways easier. I'm not claiming it's a five minute job but not very daunting either. I took the K&N out and tossed it and replaced it with an OEM filter. Oddly I did the same thing on my 1500 when I got it. One thing about living in the Pacific NW, in most areas you can go a good long time on the intake filter before it gets very dirty.

·
Premium Member
1,064 Posts
imported post

exavid wrote:
...I'm not claiming it's a five minute job but not very daunting either...

I don't think it's too bad either. The first time I changed the filter I was a little apprehensive, and then pleasantly surprised how easy it was. First time is hardest as they say.

·
Premium Member
8,242 Posts
imported post

There is a Motorcycle there? I think I got sidetracked by the Jag XKE in the background. A car I have always wanted.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.