Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Three years ago, I changed out my OEM filter for a K&N filter. I had no complaints, but just as I get older I tend to learn more and decided to change it back. So I bought the OEM filter and being in California I had to set it up with the Charcoal filter as well which attached to one corner of the OEM air filter. Took it all apart but it in closed it all up with a new seal at that. Now, the bike runs like crap. Sounding like it is only running on 5 cylinders, you can feel the difference. I'm going what the heck. I pull the Tupperware checking all my wiring making sure vacuum line is reattached etc. etc. still runs like crap. OK, so I decide to put it all back as it was with the K&N, now it runs as it should, smooth ascan be.

WHAT GIVES???:? Any ideas?

I changed it out again, same darn thing???????

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

Not sure what "like crap" is describing but if I were reaching...

I'd say maybe you have a little more vacuum now than you had and that affected your carb balance.

You may also have a vacuum line leak someplace that this made worse.

Did you balance the carbs while the K$N was on?

BTW, I have that same filter on mine because last time I ordered one I got the California Special. No problems there though. Couldn't tell the difference between the stock paper and the Cal one. But I had my carbs balanced with the Cal filter.

·
Premium Member
8,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Rudy wrote:
Did you balance the carbs while the K$N was on?

BTW, I have that same filter on mine because last time I ordered one I got the California Special. No problems there though. Couldn't tell the difference between the stock paper and the Cal one. But I had my carbs balanced with the Cal filter.
Damn, that has to be it. I did balance the carbs when I first installed the K&N. I replaced ALL my vaccum lines this last winter. I would say sinse it happened twice (I switched it back and forth twice) that must be it. Thanks Rudy, looks like I will have to wait until I get the balance tool before I try to go back. Always something.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.