Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Guys I need to know if anyone has changed to a K&N air filter and if so are they worth the extra cost over a oem filter. And also where is the best place to buy air filters. thanks MCFF:dude::dude:

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,650 Posts
imported post

There has been a few threads on K&N in the last month.

The general concensus is that if you value your engine, you won't use them.

Nothing works better than the OEM filter for keeping dirt out of the engine. And, several posted that even if you left the filter off, you won't get improved power performance as Honda tuned the engine to work with the OEM filter.

If you get into the General Discussion area I think, and go back a couple of pages, they should show up. Some might have gotten into the Technical Forum. Wish I had the links, but I don't right now.

Links I found:
http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/view_topic.php?id=30032&forum_id=4&highlight=oem+filter

Cheap Filters at http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/view_topic.php?id=19646&forum_id=4&highlight=K%26amp%3BN

more on prices
http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/view_topic.php?id=48350&forum_id=1&highlight=K%26amp%3BN

a review of filters
ISO 5011 Duramax Air Filter Test Report

·
Premium Member
6,947 Posts
imported post

Do a quick search for K&N, you'll find several topics devoted to them.

Personally, I'd rather run without a filter at all than trust a K&N.

Mike

·
Premium Member
1,169 Posts
imported post

I run K&N air filter on my bike and on my Dodge PU.
The bike is a 79 GL1000, the PU is a 96 with over 407,000 Miles on it, it has the Cummins diesel. Both engines seem to be fine after all the abuse. I like the filters as I can clean them and put them back on. Believe what you want.

John

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

I believe that if you left the air filter off altogether and wiped the air box walls with some oil, you would have for free what K&N charges a hefty fee for. And close to the same filtration to boot.

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

I agree with rudy.
I think they dont keep the dirt out of the engine.

·
Premium Member
909 Posts
imported post

What do you think you are gonna get from a K&N? Big gains in power/performance?! That is a claim I've never heard substantiated for any 1200 CC Goldwing. I just bit the bullet and bought a genuine Honda air filter for my 1200. Don't ask me why but I get pleasure and satisfaction removing the part from the factory sealed bag and installing it on my vintage 1200 Interstate. Some parts just aren't worth either trying to save a few bucks over OEM or spending extra bucks hoping for performance promises.

·
Premium Member
342 Posts
imported post

I bought a CB750 that had a K&N filter. I had plus fouling constantly until the local shop here suggested I go back to the OEM. No problems after the change. Since then, I've only gone Honda-genuine for the various bikes air filters.

Each to their own, though :)

·
Premium Member
1,059 Posts
imported post

Well I have ran them for years now with no harm to any of the engines I ran them in. I have about 5000 miles on the bike with the K&N now and have not had any issues.

Like was said, to each there own. I have read a lot of things on them over the years and have not had anyone prove to me that running one will hurt the engine. I keep a check on it and clean it when it's time and then re-oil it.

There is nothing wrong with OEM, but I haven't found anything wrong with K&N either in about 6 years now.

·
Premium Member
1 Posts
imported post

I'm new here. I was looking for info on A/F install when I found this forum and had to reply. I worked in speed shops for 15 years and have used K&N for over 20 years in everything I've owned (personal vehicles, bikes, race cars). I've personally experienced no adverse affects, ever. To each his own, I concur.

As long as the filter is serviced properly and withtheir own oil, it will work as promised. We could discuss this forever but just a footnote:

U.S. military forces were experiencing high maintenance problems and inability to provide helicopter air support in Iraq due to severe sand/dust storms plugging up their intakes. K&N manufactured filters using the same technology to keep 'em flying and keep our servicemen safer. If it works there....?

Discussions..let's face it..that's why cars, trucks, bikes, come in different colors, not just black and white!

Good forum...good info...good interaction..that's what it's all about!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.