Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

in the process of changing all the filters just got to the air filter and i see the po has stuck a small piece of duct tape over the hole.

should i do the same or leave the tape off.

ed

Attachments

·
Premium Member
789 Posts
imported post

The bigger grommet is functional but these filters are made for different models of Goldwings and some use the smaller hole as well. If the tape comes loose, it made get sucked into your carbs so I would look for a plug for it. The new filters come with the plug option.

·
Premium Member
789 Posts
imported post

Right GS, this filter fits many bikes and the 1200 uses the larger hole, goes to the rear in the housing, and is used for the air re-circ hose. The top housing cover also is drilled out for it. There are screens in the airbox just ahead of the carbs but I would be afraid of the tape flaking off getting pulled in. You could probably get a plug at Lowe's plumbing dept or order a new filter from JC Whitney that comes with all you need for a few bucks.

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

If the hole is the right size and needs blanking off perhaps you could use a closed electrical grommet ******* or failing that open a bottle of chateaux collapso and get Joyce drunk and use the cork to plug the hole. :)

·
Premium Member
3,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

you have heard joyce when she's drunk pete, she's as quiet as a church mouse when she's sober, when she's had a few, she will nag the hind legs of a donkey, the cork isnt big enough,

just been to the auto store and got some grommets and put it in, the larger hole is for a tube the runs to a container and then onto a catch container by the left footpeg, which i emptied earlier.

thanks your replies.......................ed

·
Disfunctional Nimatode
3,381 Posts
imported post

My last filter came with a rubber plug, if you are not gonna use the hole. the larger hole was for a re-breather tube. Maybe a small cork would suffice? Plug it up.......

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

Nether of those holes are used on the 1100's. The filter I got from J C Whitney came with plugs for those holes.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.