Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Goldwing Addict :-)
12,841 Posts
imported post

Foodman wrote:
Has anyone mounted the Nautilus horn on a 1500.. If yes, where..
Yes, mine and NaturalyGW's are stuffed in the fairing, under and forward of the left fairing pocket. There's plenty of room in there and the sound goes through the ABS fairing quite well. It sits on top of the vent tube. 90 degree female spade connectors work best but you can bend the connectors over enough that the straight connectors work OK too. We had NaturalyGW's entire fairing off and apart while we were rebuilding it from his 60 MPH laydown and there just isn't much extra room anyplace. That was by far the easiest location we could find.

John

·
Premium Member
8,242 Posts
imported post

AspectOne wrote:
mine is mounted under my right rear saddle bag
Got a photo of that?

·
Premium Member
8,242 Posts
imported post

amosheath wrote:
My airhorns have saved me 3 times so far. Look good outside of fairings and at 150 db, they are heard.
You got a photo of these 150's ?

·
Premium Member
555 Posts
imported post

Photos of the 1500 mounting would be nice to see.

Hickey :3sum:

·
Premium Member
8,242 Posts
imported post

How much of an affect/drain does an air horn of that strength put on your battery:?

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

IdahoRaider wrote:
How much of an affect/drain does an air horn of that strength put on your battery:?
About 7 to 10 amps but you have to fuse it for 15 amps because if you double tap it, you will be trying to restart the compressor under load and this can cause it to pop a 10 amp fuse.

·
12,841 Posts
imported post

Hickey wrote:
Photos of the 1500 mounting would be nice to see.

Hickey :3sum:
I will get some photo's when I have a chance.

Here's the mounting on my old1200 Aspy in case anyone is interested.
Stebel horn on '86 Aspencade

John

·
Premium Member
555 Posts
imported post

Thanks Jluv2dive,

I was going to try and mount it under by the kick stand but it looks to small and the dirt issue. I know some have done that but it just does not look good to me.

Hickey:bowing:

·
Premium Member
67,635 Posts
imported post

Thanks John

I've been in there and forgot about all the room there..

1 more question

can you tie the new horn into the existing horn wiring??

·
Premium Member
555 Posts
imported post

Foodman,

Yes, I believe you can but you have to put in a relay.

Hickey

·
12,841 Posts
imported post

Foodman wrote:
can you tie the new horn into the existing horn wiring??
Yep, I even left the existing horns hooked up. I just used quick splice connectors to tap into the existing horn wires. For me the easiest place to do that was behind the left fairing lower,up towards the top of the frame.

John

·
Premium Member
555 Posts
imported post

John,

I do believe you have to run a relay in there also because the horn draws to much amperage for the stock wiring. I believe Rudy has done this in the past.

Hickey

·
12,841 Posts
imported post

Hickey wrote:
Foodman,

Yes, I believe you can but you have to put in a relay.

Hickey
Correct. You use the existing horn wires to activate the relay. The other two terminals on the relay connect to the battery and to the + terminal on the air horn.

John

·
12,841 Posts
imported post

Hickey wrote:
John,

I do believe you have to run a relay in there also because the horn draws to much amperage for the stock wiring. I believe Rudy has done this in the past.

Hickey
Correct again. :)

·
Premium Member
555 Posts
imported post

That's what I remember for the instruction for the horn (Nautilus horn) but it's been so long ago that I was going to mount it under the bike (and didn't) I was not real sure about it.

Hickey

·
12,841 Posts
imported post

Hickey wrote:
That's what I remember for the instruction for the horn (Nautilus horn) but it's been so long ago that I was going to mount it under the bike (and didn't) I was not real sure about it.

Hickey
I didn't mean to imply that the only wiring needed was from the old horns. In the past people have asked if you needed to mount a new horn button someplace to activate the new horn. My intention was to show that you still use the factory button, but I should have clarified that the power for the new horn comes from the battery. The air horn draws a lot more current than the factory horns.

John

·
Premium Member
555 Posts
imported post

I guess we were trying to say the same thing but in a different way.

Hickey

·
Premium Member
5,106 Posts
imported post

i bought some from harbor freight

i have the wrap around light bar on my saddlebags i used plumbers bracket stuff the stuff with all the holes in it and its metal im not a plumber so laugh all you want

i used the existing boltholes for the saddle bags used some worm clamps to hold seure some brackets i made went to farm and fleet and bought some 1/4 inch clear tubing spray painted it black so it would hide better installed the air pump and electrics in the left hand ferring where the cb would go so you cant even see it ran the tubing under the seat and snaked it behind the frame you cannot see it at all except for a 3inch piece of hose and you wouldnt even know what it was they work great have about 25bucks invested

if you buy one throw away the cheap relay they give you and buy a decent one

·
Premium Member
8,242 Posts
imported post

I really like that idea of putting the horn under one of the saddlebags.:)

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

IdahoRaider wrote:
I really like that idea of putting the horn under one of the saddlebags.:)
Mmmmm... grindage.

21 - 40 of 48 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.