Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I just got a '81 1100I and am very new to owning and maintaining a motorcycle. I have just started looking in to this and saw it posted nowhere on this site (there is a lot here so I may have missed it) but the guy I got the bike from gave me a bicycle air pump and said he had to add air to the front shock every time he got on the bike and on longer rides he would pull over and throw in a few pumps. Is there an easy fix or will the shock need to be replaced.

Thanks,

Paul

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

You can replace the seals in the front forks, even with them still on the bike. Been there, done it. Get the manual for you bike here.

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
imported post

You can purchace new seals at Honda. They are not very expensive. Don't forget to add your atm fluid, and be careful when taking it apart. It is under pressure, and has spring pressure in them also.
Nightrider1

PS
Bagmaster, You type fast! BEAT ME AGAIN!:waving::waving:
David

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Thanks guys. I know it sounds strange but this place feels like home. So far everyone has been kind and willing to help.

·
Premium Member
4,948 Posts
imported post

First of all, Welcome to the funny farm!:waving:This is the place to hang out and find out lots of things about our bikes.

As Nightrider rightly pointed out, theforks are held together under pressure from the springs. If you take a cap off the top, it will leave the area with speed if not contained. Not a problem but just remember that you have to be careful when dis-assembling the forks.

If I were you and you have a couple of extra bucks laying around, check into putting Progressive springs to replace your 27+ year old OEM springs. You won't have to run any air at all and the ride is SO much better.

http://www.progressivesuspension.com/forksprings/index.html

http://tinyurl.com/yq46q3

The second URL is just one of many dealers of Progressives. The price is actually lower than when I bought mine coming in at under $70.

Good luck to you and I hope that you enjoy your ride. I know I enjoy my '83.

Regards,

Hobie

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
imported post

LOL I learned about the springs the hard way and ended up with a black eye abd a busted lip. I was very lucky it was not put out. If I were you, and I was going to take the top cover off when leaving it on the bile (Or even off) Put a cloth over the top, because when the springs come out, they come out like a rocket, and you will be lucky to find them within 25-50 ft. What a bad memory. Live and learn.
Nightrider1
PS
You will need a Circlip (They look like needle nose pliers bent (90 degrees) to take the top retaining spring off before you can separate the top and bottom, and to put it back on.

·
Premium Member
2,144 Posts
imported post

"You can rebuild them".........:D Yup, it's a fairly cheap fix, rather then buying new shocks.

Jen :cool:

·
Premium Member
1,299 Posts
imported post

My front forks would loose air almost every day. I took the fork end caps off when I changed the fluid, with a device I made out of a shovel handle. I cut a notch on the end to fit over the raised part of the cap.It worked like a charm ,and I was able to get the cap on while fighting the spring tension in about ten seconds.One thing I did was to grease up the o rings .Now they don't loose pressure anymore.,,

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

Thanks for the advice I just got it running and took a spin around the block!!!! There is still a long way to go till I get on the road. I have another question, when I was in the shop and around the block I ran up to 3rd gear and back down but when I was pulling in the shop I could not catch neutral, I just chalked it up to me not knowing the bike and I haven't ridden in years and never to much at that but in the shop I could only catch neutral after I shut the bike off. It feels like it is shifting up through more then one gear at a time. I have not done any research yet I figured I would ask ya'll tonight and check into a few things in the am. Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
6,947 Posts
imported post

Change the oil. The transmission is lubricated with engine oil, and old, broken down oil will cause that symptom.

Also a clutch that isn't fully disengaging will make catching neutral a bit hard.

·
Premium Member
2,970 Posts
imported post

do you have a heel toe shifter.
I hear many guys sayiong that when getting used to a heel toe.

Besides that it will take some time. My first ride on a toll road was almost a ticket as I couldnt find neutral and transporting the bike back home the starter didnt work so i didnt want to shut the bike off.
Now i just shift into neutral while rolling and she catches every time.

Some times while at a light aI have to feather the clutch out in order to get into gear.
maybe just the quirks from a high milage older bike or maybe just having to get used to it.

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

Thanks, I was planning to gather the stuff and change out all the fluids in the next week or two I just could not resist running around the block after I finally got it fired up. I do not have a heel toe shifter, once I get everything in shape again I need to spend some time getting more familiar with the bike but im sure we will figure each other out. It needs quite a bit of work before leaving the shop again.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.