Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Banned
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

When I was at the Honda dealer today I was told that I should increase my tire pressure in my front tire to 40-42 PSI.

I have the stock D250 tires with about 7000 miles on them

My manual says 36 psi front 41 psi rear.

What do you guys run in your front tires and what kind of tires do you have.:?

·
Premium Member
223 Posts
imported post

I run 40 front and rear when im on by myself. Bump it up to 42 when the wife is with me.Thats what I had heard to run.I run theMetzlers and have had no problems so far running 40 40.Had a surprise the other day tho. Went on a ride and I have the tire pressure monoriting device and it was around 102f ambient temp. and my tire temp. in the rear was 127F. Is this normal? Seems kinda high. But then again it's Houston . High temps. and high humidity. Ill keep an eye on it. I even went to the official Metzler web site and this is what they recommended.

·
Premium Member
658 Posts
imported post

I asked that same question on here a couple months ago. The Honda manual is definitely different than other wingers recommendations. I ended up going with the tire ratings because that is what I've always done on my cages. So, I run about 40-41 in the front. I couldn't tell you if that helps with less tire wear or not, but it seems like I've made the decision to stick with that. Handling seem good.

·
Premium Member
1,025 Posts
imported post

I just started running 45 front and rear on recommendation of my dealer. It is a bit harder ride - you feel more road vibration - but it seems to cause the tires to wear better (supposedly - that is what I'm testing now). I had heard it from riders before - but when my service guy said "no problem" doing it - I said sure. No problems after about 3,000 miles so far.

·
Administrator
Piaggio MP3, was 02 GL1800
61,501 Posts
imported post

Gashauler wrote:
........Went on a ride and I have the tire pressure monitoring device and it was around 102f ambient temp. and my tire temp. in the rear was 127F. Is this normal?..........
Yes, that is normal. Tires will get warmer/hotter because of sidewall friction, add in friction losses between the tread and the pavement, and the heat increases a bit more.

Here in Phoenix, with an IR temp gun, I have measured tire temperatures above 150*F. It is not uncommon for the asphalt temperatures to exceed 150*F here on our hottest days.

I have measured inside dashboard temperatures above 250*F on 115*F days. On those days, my car does not get cool enough to be comfortable before I get home in the evenings, and that is a 30 minute drive.

Even today, with the ambient temp at 100*F, I have started parking my car outside the parking compound on the street simply because there are trees there for shade.

·
Token Canuk
8,236 Posts
imported post

41/41 , softer tires heat up more than harder tires & wear quicker, "Feeling the road more with harder tire" I like that. :waving::waving::action::action::action::action:

·
Banned
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
imported post

Wow, I am truly surprised by the number of riders that run 40 or over, I must have been one of the few who ran 36- 41, well that is changing right now:dude:
I have gone out in the garage and added some air , I now have 41-41 Thanks for the input.

I was aware that tires can run very hot, so hot it burns to hold on to the tire.;)

·
Administrator
61,501 Posts
imported post

I failed to mention that I run 41/41 on my bikes and 35/35 on my car, and 90/90 on my truck.

·
Premium Member
644 Posts
imported post

96aspencade wrote:
41/41 , softer tires heat up more than harder tires & wear quicker, "Feeling the road more with harder tire" I like that. :waving::waving::action::action::action::action:
Ditto - In my GW Chapter, this is about the normal pressure. There seems to be a super wide variety of opinions on this subject, so, I just went with the majority.

That being said, I just got off an almost 7000 mile ride. My front tire has some goofy looking markings on it. Really hard to explain. Maybe I'll take a picture an post it for some of you "experts" to look at.

·
Premium Member
422 Posts
imported post

Michelin Pilot GT: 42/42

But by the time I get done messing around with the pressure gauge, it's usually 42.5lb, so...

·
Premium Member
8,524 Posts
imported post

I run 25 rear 38 front 25/38

·
Administrator
61,501 Posts
imported post

...Trikes be different for sure Bob. Got to run those rear tires softer or the ride be kind of harsh I am told.
:crying:

·
Premium Member
4,931 Posts
imported post

w5blt wrote:
That being said, I just got off an almost 7000 mile ride. My front tire has some goofy looking markings on it. Really hard to explain. Maybe I'll take a picture an post it for some of you "experts" to look at.
Probably just the normal cupping that happens on most all of the heavy bikes. The severity will depend on air pressure, tire brand and tread type. And I swear that cupping occurs faster if you are driving for very long periods at a time. Probably has something to do with the buildup of heat. But don't confuse me with one of the "experts":dude:

·
Premium Member
4,948 Posts
imported post

42/45 on my Venom X's. Very little cupping noticeable at 15k miles. The ride is harsher though. I do love the firm feel and handling. Tar snakes don't affect the bike much either.

Hobie

·
Premium Member
1,765 Posts
imported post

Dunlop E-3 40F 42R

·
Banned
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
imported post

Now that I change the Psi to 41-41 I noticed a little firmer ride , but not much change overall, I hope this will improve the tires mileage.

On the other hand I am running with the original OEM D250's and I have to tell you on dry pavement I was able to stay right behind a rider scraping pegs with an 08 GL1800 trax and Elite 3 tires.:)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.