Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I'm getting a lot of bounce in the front end of my 1100.Did it on the last tire and it's doing it on this new tire which was High Speed balanced. I've tried differant air pressure in the front fork's and also the rear shock's. It's annoying as hell.Do you think I need oil in the front shock's?? How do you check that?? Any Ideas??

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
imported post

Fork oil turns into mud after a few years even if you never ride your bike. The only way to check it is to drain it and have a look, once you gone that far you may as well just put new oil in the forks.

Putting extra air in the forks won't make up for old oil either.

·
Premium Member
156 Posts
imported post

Check the tire rim for trueness lateraly and vertically as per manual

for runout to see if its within specs

·
Administrator
26,534 Posts
imported post

Like Jim said, fork oil. I change mine once a year and use heavier than recommended oil. There is no such thing as a perfectly smooth road and if the dampeners are not doing the job you will feel every little bump, twice. Once when the tire hits it and again when the tire bounces on the road and even more times if the shocks are really bad.

·
Premium Member
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

OK, I want to change oil in the forks. Is it just a matter of removing the drain screw and pump( Compress) the fork's,put drain screw back in, take top cap off and fill??? Least that's how I did it on dirt bikes 30 yrs. ago!!LOL I have a feeling it's not that simple??

·
Administrator
26,534 Posts
imported post

It is that simple but watch out for the spring pressure when you take the caps off.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,749 Posts
imported post

Yes John, it's that simple.
As Dave says watch that spring. Keep a lot of pressure on the cap as you're backing it out. Putting the cap back in can be a real challenge too. Fine threads can easily strip.

BTW, don't forget to clean out the anti-dive chambers while you're at it. They're surely gunked up.

·
Premium Member
1,398 Posts
imported post

You'll need to fabricate some sort of cap installer pipe. I happened to have a length of steel pipe used for leverage on my truck, and it fit over the cap perfectly.

Mark where the threads on the cap will start mating with the ones on the fork tube. It takes a LOT of force to push those suckers back on. And yes...my fluid was pretty much black and looked like sludge.

·
Premium Member
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

Bike...and Dennis wrote:
As Dave says watch that spring. Keep a lot of pressure on the cap as you're backing it out. Putting the cap back in can be a real challenge too. Fine threads can easily strip.

BTW, don't forget to clean out the anti-dive chambers while you're at it. They're surely gunked up.
Where's the anti-dive chambers at?? Do you have to pull them out of the fork tubes??

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
imported post

john424 wrote:
Bike...and Dennis wrote:

Where's the anti-dive chambers at?? Do you have to pull them out of the fork tubes??
IF you have an '83 they are down at the bottom of the fork, on the backside. If you have an '80 to '82, then never mind, they don't exist.

·
Premium Member
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

Silicon Sam wrote:
john424 wrote:
Bike...and Dennis wrote:

IF you have an '83 they are down at the bottom of the fork, on the backside.  If you have an '80 to '82, then never mind, they don't exist.
Ya, I have an 82. Thank's.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.