Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I have a 88 GL1500. I have spent days trying to trace an electrical fault and have now run out of ideas. Maybe someone can help.

The increase/decrease switch will not activate the air pump. Everything else works fine - including the outlet switch and the P Check switch. I have gone through the diagnostic checks in the manual and everything checks out - all the fuses are ok, the relay does all the right things and also clicks with the P check. I have systematically gone through and checked the continuity of just about every wire in the system. The bike is in a thousand pieces, at the moment,including the removal of the instrument panel.

The Increase/decrease switches will work if I put a jumper over the terminals in the back of the relay (Brn/yel and wht/grn) but that obviously isn't a fix as it is live all the time. That would also indicate that the coil side of the relay isn't working when the switches are pressed. They do work, however, when the P Check switch is pressed - so it can't be a faulty relay, and I have also swapped others without success.

So figuring that it has to be somewhere between the switches and the relay coil I traced the wires and find that some go into the back of the instument panel on a terminal of the LCD unit. This turns into a bit of a black void as there is no circuit diagram to show what happens in there when the switches are pressed.

Does anyone have any experience of something like this failing or can you offer some suggestions on what else I can look at.

With thanks

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
imported post

I know with my 83 you have to push both the front or rear pressure switch and the pump switch at the same time. That is the only way I can activate the pump. I think it is supposed to work when the key is in the park or lock position also.:11grey:

Bob

·
Best looking member
3,107 Posts
imported post

Could the contacts of the switches themselves be dirty worn out?? Good Luck

·
The Irish Crew
3,932 Posts
imported post

The switch panels on the GL1500 have been known to go bad, usually bad contacts at the back of the switch. Worth checkiing out.

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Thanks for the replies, guys, but no, the switch is ok. If I put a jumper across the relay then the switch works normally ie, I can increase and decrease pressure. It seems to be whatever activates the coil side of the relay when I press the increase or decrease switches, and that seems to be something in the instrument panel.

Actually I am having another look at the wiring diagram from the Honda manual.I can't see anything on the switch circuit thatis connected to the relay coil.

Can someone check for me, please, if the No.5 relay is activated as soon as you turn the ignition to On, Acc, or P. That is the only way I can see that the system is powered up for the Increase/Decrease switches.

Still open for other suggestions but if someone could check that for me I'd really appreciate it.

·
Premium Member
11,739 Posts
imported post

From what I remember of the 1500 you MUST hold in the check button and press either the increaseOR decrease button at the same time to get the suspension up or down ,,,But if you just want the pump to pump air to the outlet ,you turn the engine of and leave the ignition on ,,,try it :waving:cheers Ciaran

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Ciaran,

I am very embarrassed - I had a mental block and forgot you had to press the Check switch at the same time. I realised my mistake just before I read your reply. I should have asked you 2 days ago and it would have saved me a heap of time.

Oh well, at least I know how to strip the old girl naked. I better give her a cuddle and put her back together.

Speaking of which, how do I explain to the missus that I spent the last 2 days pulling the bike to bits for absolutely no reason.

Thanks for your help, everybody.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Alanz,

Don't admit to anything, just tell her it's working fine now and put it together, if in the unlikely circumstance she asks what was wrong, just tell her there was a discontinuity in the dimorphic line.

:whip:

·
Premium Member
11,739 Posts
imported post

We all make mistakes:? ,,but it takes a man to admit it ,,well done ,,At least the problem is sorted ,,sometimes you cannot see the trees for the forest :),,,cheers Ciaran

·
Best looking member
3,107 Posts
imported post

A favorite excuseof mine is." Was a tough go honey, I had tore-align the matter, anti-matter injectors, but it's all workinggood now.. "P.S. This only works if the wife is not a Trekkie:D:D:D

·
Premium Member
316 Posts
imported post

alanz wrote:
Ciaran,

I am very embarrassed - I had a mental block and forgot you had to press the Check switch at the same time. I realised my mistake just before I read your reply. I should have asked you 2 days ago and it would have saved me a heap of time.

Oh well, at least I know how to strip the old girl naked. I better give her a cuddle and put her back together.

Speaking of which, how do I explain to the missus that I spent the last 2 days pulling the bike to bits for absolutely no reason.

Thanks for your help, everybody.
Some things are besty kept secret Alan! :baffled:

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

alanz wrote:
Ciaran,

I am very embarrassed - I had a mental block and forgot you had to press the Check switch at the same time.
No need to feel embarrassed around us, just do a search on 'kill switch' on this forum! Now as to feeling embarrassed in front of your lady, don't worry about this at all she knows your endearing foibles!

:cheeky1::cheeky1:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.