Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
935 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

If I was to take these babies off do they really do anyhting for the cooling, bearing in mind it doesn't get to hot here!

If this was off the shelf from mother Honda would it have had these to start with?

·
Premium Member
12,790 Posts
imported post

If your talking about the factory installed units for the 1100 , They do make a difference for me . But I am in Florida ,USA . Average summer temps in the 90s farinhiet .

·
Premium Member
2,848 Posts
imported post

I notice a pretty significant difference with them removed as well. Yes they do work. Yes they were factory installed.

·
Premium Member
935 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Thanks for all your thoughts. The damned things rust badly in the damp majority of the year and it is like a never ending battle to keep the rust at bay. Their off and in the shed as of now. I have been finding that the bike had a tendency to run cool on the commute at motorway speeds for the majority of the journay. If I did slow to 20 or 30 then the temp went up to normal. The whole ram air affect seems to keep things very cool.

It was not uncommon to see these big surface area rad bike with foil of card in front of the rad in the 80,s. I believe the london black cabs still do this in the winter.

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

Are the ones you have on the bike chrome finished or painted and pinstriped to match the bike?

If you are getting a rust problem, probably better to replace or have the ones you have got sprayed up again. :waving:

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
imported post

when my neice got her gl 1000 it didn't have the scoops so we found some and installed them. she said the bike runs cooler and cools down faster in stop and go traffic with the scoops

·
Premium Member
935 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

cheers. Thats two for keeping. Yes I could have them re finished. I just found them a little over effective at cooling on the sort of trips I seem to do. It just seems to be that I very rarely get stuck in traffic. Thats probally the kiss of death for me now!

Cheers

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

goldtop wrote:
cheers. Thats two for keeping. Yes I could have them re finished. I just found them a little over effective at cooling on the sort of trips I seem to do. It just seems to be that I very rarely get stuck in traffic. Thats probally the kiss of death for me now!

Cheers
When you say they are "over effective", is this because your temp gauge reading stays fairly low? If so, then the bike may still be getting nicely to temperature, as I don't think the gauges are necessarily an accurateguide to what temperature the engine is at. I have had bikes and cars where the gauge is in the lower quarter of the range and others that are almost in the middle.

About as accurate as they are is to show when heating up in traffic, by going a bit higher. If the fan is kicking in as it should, I doubt the gauge would go off the scale in UK weather conditions!!!:cool:

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

Incidentally, I do notice that the air scoops are often for sale on ebay, though they are usually advertised for the GL1000 and I don't know if they are common to the 1100 as well. They are offered in various colours, so you might find some colour matched, if they will fit.

:waving:

·
Premium Member
12,790 Posts
imported post

Yes Pete the scoops from a 1000 will fit the 1100 . I use a pair from my 77 on the 83.

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

Nice one OWP. :clapper:

·
Premium Member
935 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

cheers for your thoughts guys. I don't have any concerns over the fan or when I let it run on idle for a while the fan clicks in and cools as required.

Perhaps I am using the temp on the guage a bit to much. It usually gets just over 1/4 so that must mean it's working.

Time to re finish them I think.

Wise words as always.

·
Premium Member
200 Posts
imported post

I took them off my GL1000 and it made no noticeable difference. Cool climate here in Oregon also. Thought about covering part of the radiator with cardboard to get the temp up.

Q

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.