Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Today I found the right shock was leaking oil. Can this be rebuilt? Is it an easy job?
Would it better to get a new shock or get a set or Progressives?
If I go with the Progressives, which series is the way to go 412, 416 ,or 450?
Any help or opinions are appreciated.

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
imported post

I had the shocks rebuilt on my 84 Interstate. It wasn't cheap but much less than replacing them with new.

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
imported post

you can get em on ebay for a song...just swap em out...why go the hard route?
i think it takes special tools to get them apart!

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
imported post

The shocks I got on Ebay were in worse shape than the ones they were to replace.

I had the dealer rebuild them for $60 I believe. Much better than the $500 to replace them.

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
imported post

Jim vw57.....!Wow where have i been?...thats the way to go!!...i never had an issue with em....and you gotta pry-ask ebayers if their toast or not...kinda hard to tell with shocks...i go a lot on benefit of dought that their good and just discarded....provided their listed cheap.....i bought a 12 tank cover that he said was recently painted and the pictures looked good....but had big nasty blotches and scrapes...but i learned a lesson i didn't press him for more details of the paint...was cheap though....if i paid a lot he would have got them back...

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

:waving::waving: Welcome to the World's Greatest Goldwing Site UNY_Pete! :waving::waving:

The air shock is pretty easy to replace the seal in. The Clymer manual and the Helm Inc. copy of the original Honda service manual show how to do it. Seals are readily available from Honda dealers or online from Honda Direct Line or Motogrid to mention a couple

The best route to go on the 1500 in my opinion are Progressive 416s. I have them on my 1500 and had them on my 1200 along with Progressive fork springs on both bikes. Really improved the handling in the curves in my opinion. Also rides better when 2 up.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.