Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I have a 89 GL1500 and when changing the rear tire I noticed the boot on the air shock was torn in half. I did a search and found a post that mentioned the dealer replaced the boot on a tire change. Is there a boot from a auto parts store, etc. that can be put on. i.e. like a CV joint boot?

·
Premium Member
898 Posts
imported post

I am interested in this myself as the one on my 91 Interstate is in seperate pieces.
I was told that I could get a universal boot from a motorcycle dealer but alas, the dealer here handles few parts for motorcycles. They specialize in atvs, mowers, chainsaws etc...
So I need one myself.
The dealer could order me one for the tune of about 50 bucks but I said "no thanks".

·
Premium Member
529 Posts
imported post

try progressive, I believe the boots for their shocks will fit the stock shocks as well

·
Premium Member
1,328 Posts
imported post

Some people have had good luck using a piece cut from a bicycle inner tube, but I didn't. I also tried a set I got from Summit Racing that was made for off road shocks, but they rubbed against the tire. I ended up biting the bullet and just got a set from Honda.

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
imported post

My buddy just took care of that very issue a couple weeks ago. He posted the following on the GWRRA board.

In the process of changing the tires and lubing the drive splines, I noticed the right rear shock boot was toast. Called to the two local Honda dealers and neither had the $40 boot in stock. Not wanting to wait, I tried Advanced Auto to see if they had an automotive boot that would approximate the Honda boot. I found the Monroe Shock-Mate Boot Kit SA1997 to be a good fit. I had to cut about 3" off the top and zip-tie it in place. They come in virtually every color, even "Hot Pink" (SA-1995) if you're so inclined. All for only $6.49!

http://members.cox.net/inspektor224/shock_boot.jpg

Good luck.

·
Premium Member
10,276 Posts
imported post

That's good info, Oldshack.

·
Premium Member
1,631 Posts
imported post

Thanks Oldshack, I'll check that out tomorrow at Canadian Tire, I see that they sell Munroe Shocks.

·
Premium Member
898 Posts
imported post

Thanks Oldshack! I picked one up at Adavance this morning and would have it installed it today but that cold north wind is a booger!
Maybe tomorrow!

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
imported post

Hey Oldshack, thanks for the tip.
I replaced mine last Saturday using the Monroe kit. Worked like a charm!

Joe

·
Premium Member
5,734 Posts
imported post

i wonder if this would also work on the 1100 ?

·
Premium Member
3,344 Posts
imported post

very good tip:clapper::clapper::clapper: i'm in the proccess of doing the 1200, a bought dealer parts and cost me £33 for the pair, never thought of going to the local auto store

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
imported post

In the states Advance Auto carries the same item for $5.49. I have the wheels off for new tires and thought about ordering parts from the deal - Glad I found this first THANKS .

·
Premium Member
170 Posts
imported post

Available in Canada at NAPA Auto Parts stores. Monroe Shockmate Boot Kit SA1997 $9.67 Each

(See Pictures available, thanks to a post by Tricky Feb. 2009)

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
imported post

Does anyone know if the Monroe SA1997 boot kit will fit the GL1100A 'Wings?

Thanks in advance for your time!

·
Premium Member
1,851 Posts
imported post

I also tried the Monroe boot kit. Didn`t like the way it fit, and finaly went out and bought the stock item.
Tom Bishop
`98 S.E.

·
The Irish Crew
3,932 Posts
imported post

This needs to be added to the Reference forum asap if any moderators are reading.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.