Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Air shock boot

9K views 22 replies 18 participants last post by  gumbyred 
#1 ·
imported post

I have a 89 GL1500 and when changing the rear tire I noticed the boot on the air shock was torn in half. I did a search and found a post that mentioned the dealer replaced the boot on a tire change. Is there a boot from a auto parts store, etc. that can be put on. i.e. like a CV joint boot?

#2 ·
imported post

I am interested in this myself as the one on my 91 Interstate is in seperate pieces.
I was told that I could get a universal boot from a motorcycle dealer but alas, the dealer here handles few parts for motorcycles. They specialize in atvs, mowers, chainsaws etc...
So I need one myself.
The dealer could order me one for the tune of about 50 bucks but I said "no thanks".

#5 ·
imported post

Some people have had good luck using a piece cut from a bicycle inner tube, but I didn't. I also tried a set I got from Summit Racing that was made for off road shocks, but they rubbed against the tire. I ended up biting the bullet and just got a set from Honda.

#6 ·
imported post

My buddy just took care of that very issue a couple weeks ago. He posted the following on the GWRRA board.

In the process of changing the tires and lubing the drive splines, I noticed the right rear shock boot was toast. Called to the two local Honda dealers and neither had the $40 boot in stock. Not wanting to wait, I tried Advanced Auto to see if they had an automotive boot that would approximate the Honda boot. I found the Monroe Shock-Mate Boot Kit SA1997 to be a good fit. I had to cut about 3" off the top and zip-tie it in place. They come in virtually every color, even "Hot Pink" (SA-1995) if you're so inclined. All for only $6.49!

http://members.cox.net/inspektor224/shock_boot.jpg

Good luck.

#9 ·
imported post

Thanks Oldshack, I'll check that out tomorrow at Canadian Tire, I see that they sell Munroe Shocks.

#15 ·
imported post

very good tip:clapper::clapper::clapper: i'm in the proccess of doing the 1200, a bought dealer parts and cost me £33 for the pair, never thought of going to the local auto store

#21 ·
imported post

It's a temporary measure, is it not? It's a split boot.... I've used bicycle innertubes with better success. Admittingly, I've never thought of replacing a split boot with a split boot though, so maybe I'm missing something.

:?....

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.