Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi all, just a quick question if anyone can give me an idea concerning the air shocks on my 86 Aspy. We have just returned from a trip to the west coast and I experienced a problem with the bike bottoming out on some hard bumps. We were riding two up and pulling my trailer. Saddle bags and trunk were loaded as well. I had the air shock filled but was still unable to prevent the bottoming out. I was just wondering if I could replace them with a heavier shock or something with a longer stroke etc. Any ideas would be much appreciated.

Thanks again in advance as always

Clubby

Without a wing, you don't have a prayer

86 Blue Aspy

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

You could go to Progressive shocks. Or you couldcheck your present ones and see if there's any oil in them.

Maybe you need go to do a dually rear too.:cheeky1:

·
Premium Member
2,491 Posts
imported post

clubby wrote:
Hi all, just a quick question if anyone can give me an idea concerning the air shocks on my 86 Aspy. We have just returned from a trip to the west coast and I experienced a problem with the bike bottoming out on some hard bumps. We were riding two up and pulling my trailer. Saddle bags and trunk were loaded as well. I had the air shock filled but was still unable to prevent the bottoming out. I was just wondering if I could replace them with a heavier shock or something with a longer stroke etc. Any ideas would be much appreciated.
Clubby, how much rear air were you running in the air shocks? As a rule I don't haul around as much as youwere but once in a while I have need to haul a heavy load on the rear of my Wing (like 4 bags of water softener salt or a few bags of landscape material, etc). In those cases I just inflate the rear shocks one bar above the recommended range on the dash gauge.

There are (were anyhow) some fixed spring heavy duty progressive rear shocks available but those tend to really stiffen the ride when used without a sufficient load. Those stock air shocks are really nice as you can changethe load rating as the need arises.

Twisty

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

the time mine bottomed out it was from a bad seal and they wouldn't hold any air... other than when they hit bottom, it was the cushiest ride I have ever had. I then bought a rebuild kit fom progressive.

·
Senior Guru
4,293 Posts
imported post

My oem's , at 90 psi, bottomed out constantly, got Progressive 416's, from Whitey, on Ebay. What a diff! Running 25 psi, with trailer and 2-up. Bottomed out once, at a rail-road crossing. We're talking a big pothole, that I didn't see in time at 30 mph, cause of a idiot cager, pulling out in front of me. The left turn scenario. Another story. Get the pro 416's. I don't find any problems with the front oem's, so will leave alone.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Never have hit bottom with the 416s. The ride's a little stiffer but not badly so. With Progressives front and rear the bike sure sits still in the curves, used to move around a bit with the OEM rear shocks. Solo I ride with 0psi in front, 10psi rear. Two up I boost the rear to 50psi. On the 1500 I like the idea of two air shocks, I know it really doesn't make a difference but having a shock on one side bearing more weight than the one on the other side just doesn't sit well. Works okay, but just isn'tvery elegant engineering.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.