Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
929 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

So after riding my 86 1200 Aspy for about 6 years,and after doing the progressive shock and heavier oil mod, I for the FIRST time ever let almostall the air out of the front and back and rode it for a short 30 miles that way.

Now I normally keep my air way past the marker brackets for the front and at the top for the rear, the bike rode good but was a bit sharp or harsh on certain types of bumps

my bike doesn't show me actual air pressure so I'm not able to give real #'s

My real question now is what besides the obvious ride comfort is running on low to no air in the shocks going to effect

I didn't notice any real handling difference, I did notice and HUGE change in comfort and felt less of the road, the other thing that really stood out was the wind had less effect on the bike. When I ride I have always felt something was off just a tad because as heavy as the bike is it realy would get pushed around in the wind

more so than I would expect

just looking for some thoughts on the good and bad of low air and how do you run your air

·
Premium Member
286 Posts
imported post

With Progressives, no air is needed in the front so that only leaves the rear. Little or no air in the rears will lower the bike and make it more likely you "bottom out" on big bumps and will drag the pegs when you lean into curves. If you decide to ride with it low, slowly work you way down to find a comfortable and safe level for the reason mentioned below.

I had a scary incident riding two up with low air pressure on a very sharp left curve that was heavily banked the wrong way. I had just reduced the air pressure from max to zero in one move and it did ride much softer but I hadn't noticed it also rode lower. Speed was only about 10 mph but pegs were dragging hard and bike couldn't turn far enough to properly complete the turn so I ended up using every bit of the shoulder of the road. I increased air pressure immediately and never rode with it that low again. I have since been on that same curve hundreds of times, even at higher speeds, and never had that problem again.

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
imported post

I have an '86 1200 Aspy too. I keep the front within specs and like the rear a bit stiffer, maybe because I'm such a big, heavy guy. I might feel a few bumps from time to time but it's not bad because of my weight. I also noticed that she handles the corners much better. As noted above, we're all different and have differing tastes. Experiment with your pressures until the Aspy feels right for you.

·
Premium Member
3,303 Posts
imported post

For long straight runs on a relatively flat freeway lower the pressure for max comfort, but for twisties and better handling ability raise them up for a stiffer ride with a lot more responsiveness.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.