Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
7,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

The rear shocks on my 81 gl 1100 stay pumped up only if I fill them all the way hard , if I only put 35 or 40 lbs in they will leak down some times in only a couple of hours or even less . I don.t get it ?? I do prefer the harder fill but just wonder why they do this??

·
Senior Guru
3,873 Posts
imported post

hi picasso sounds like the seal in the shock when you fill to the top the pressure forces the seal tighter on the shaft

·
Banned
7,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Thats just what I was most fearing,,,,,I just did put new saddlebag bars and stuff on ,,,now to take it all loose to replace the dang shocks!!!! Dang!!!
Well maybe I'll wait till I have too!

·
Premium Member
399 Posts
imported post

could be a connector loosened , little rubber seal inside broken or worn, who know's squires could have chewed the hoses. many possible thing's

·
Senior Guru
3,873 Posts
imported post

picasso if you mix up a little water and washing liquid in a spray bottle can you get to the shock and see were the bubbles come from

·
Banned
7,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

No obvious damage except for a broken boot rubber . I will check for a hose leak but the seal makes more sense as it does stay pumped if totally pumped up.

Thanks everyone.

·
Premium Member
1,299 Posts
imported post

I would think if it was a seal leak, you would see some fluid leaking somewhere.my fronts used to leak down in a couple of hours.When I changed the tube fluid, I greased up the orings and made them good and snug the leak stopped.

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
imported post

The rear air shocks are rebuildable, the seals can be bought at www.servicehonda.com and very reasonable too. I rebuilt a set last spring and it was easy and cheap....
cheers,
Kevo

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.