Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

My 84 aspencade seems to ride stiff when it hits bumps. Tried low air and medium and high. A little better but I think they need replacing. I was considering replacing with a standard shock instead of air shocks. Any comments or suggestions? Who has done this and how is it?

·
Premium Member
796 Posts
imported post

Non air shocks cannot really cope with the weight of a GL1200 and that is why Honda fitted them after complaints about the shocks on early Goldwings.

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

Are they bottoming out when this happens? If so, then you may need to drain and refill the oil in them. The manual will tell you how much to put in them.

The reason I point this out is that it sounds there is no damping effect going on.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Actually you can find spring shocks that will carry the load of a 'Wing but the problem is that it would be impossible to adjust the shocks for different loads such as when going from solo to 2 up riding because the bags are in the way. Take a look at the air lines connecting to your shocks, if the air hose is very thin odds are that there are Progressive shocks on the bike. These do tend to be stiffer riding than OEM shocks. If you have OEM shocks how does the air pressure hold up? Does it drop off in a few days from where you set it? If so you may need new seals. As the Sheriff said it could be that they are bottoming out which would indicate lack of oil. Peel down the rubber boots and check if there's oil inside the boots. Shouldn't be, if there is you need to replace the shock seals and refill them.

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
imported post

you never did say how much air you put in them. is it staying in or is it leaking out before you ride it much? it does sound like you have no oil in them anymore or you don't have enough air in them maybe a pinched line not letting it get in?

·
Premium Member
5,106 Posts
imported post

i put spring shocks on my 1100 the 1200 isnt that much heavier i dont think of course i am the only one riding it i never carry a passanger yes changing the adjust ment is a bear but i usually set it on the 3rd highest setting and it works fine for me

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.