Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

Hi guys I have a further querie this time on the air shock,(first querie axle).

I never realised that the air shock was on one side only (drive shaft side) i`ve been advised in the passed to keep the presure up on the air to stop bottming when 2up

Now if one side only is adjusted surely that would throw the balance of the 2shocks out I E one stiff other soft, which in my logic thinking would upset the handling on the bends as I`ve not always been happy with my bike on the sweeping bends in the 80ish speed,I know these are touring bikes, but if improvment can be gained may be by critical set up of air shocks then great.

Have any of you had simular thoughs?

Bike is 1500 aspencde 1997

cheers to all,

Peter

·
The Irish Crew
3,932 Posts
imported post

Peter, I understand the logic of what you are saying as its a question that has been asked by loads of Wing owners. But the fact is that having air one side and spring the other doesn't really create an imbalance at all. The frame on the Wing is so stiff that one side at the rear just won't react different to the other. I've been told more than once that having a dedicated air shock one side means it will hold more air and be more effective than trying to use a combined air/spring unit (if such a thing is even available). The gl1800 overcomes this by using an electric operated single shock mounted in the centre.

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
imported post

The maual says to preset the air on the center stand, does this make a difference in the air pressure if I am setting on the bike or if unloaded but on the side stand??

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

goldpeter99 wrote:
Hi guys I have a further querie this time on the air shock,(first querie axle).

I never realised that the air shock was on one side only (drive shaft side) i`ve been advised in the passed to keep the presure up on the air to stop bottming when 2up

I`ve not always been happy with my bike on the sweeping bends in the 80ish speed,I know these are touring bikes, but if improvment can be gained may be by critical set up of air shocks then great.

Have any of you had simular thoughs?

Bike is 1500 aspencde 1997

cheers to all,

Peter
Those that have gone and installed a pair of Progressive air shocks, haveclaimed that the cornering ability of their bikes improved substantially. Seem to be much more stable/rigid, especially combined with Progressive springs in the front forks. :baffled:

Dusty

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
imported post

Speaking from my personal experience with my 1989 GL1500 at over 83,000 miles:

Iinstalled a Superbrace front fork stabilizer andreplaced the front springs withProgressive springs.Thismade a significantimprovement in the front end stability, especially in sweeping turns at highway speeds and when braking.

Approximately 18,000 miles agoI replaced the OEM rearshock/air shock witha pair of Progressive 416 Air shocks. They made an even moreobvious improvement in the handlingfor my 'Wing. In "High speed" turns, sweepers,and twisties,my Wing now cuts a clean line;the mushy wollowing in the curves is completely gone. It is a completely different bike with the Progressive front springs and rearair shocks now. The handling stability is now FAR superior to what the bike was capable of even when it was new!

Of course, we all know there is no such thing as a "free lunch"; and when you change the OEM suspension components like this, there are apt to be trade-offs. The "stiffer", more responsive (Progressive) suspension creates aslightly stiffer, somewhat more "brittle" ride - its definitely notas cushy as the OEM suspension.

I ride on Metzeler ME880's and normally run them on the firm sideat 40/42-psi (its not cushy, but better for mileage and handling). This alone can cause me to feel road imperfections more than I would with lower PSI. But withair pressure adjusted forriding 2-up and/or towing a trailer, I haven't noticed anyproblem with the ride quality. And the handling benefits are effective for all riding configurations - riding solo, 2-up, and towing with or without a co-rider.

IMHO... Mother Honda should have done it this way to begin with! I highly recommend the upgrades for anyone who wants to appreciate the true capabilities of the 'Wing... even older ones.

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
imported post

Mkeliher, it does make a difference if you're trying to set a repeatable ride-height adjustment pressure in the air shock.

Honda's manual says to set the ride-height adjustmentair pressure with the bike up on the center stand. This provides a pressure reading of the "unloaded" suspension. This can be reasonably accurately repeatedusing the onboard compressor. As long as you don't exceed the 57psi unloaded air pressure limit stated in the owner's manual, you shouldn't ever need to be concerned about blowing-out the pressure seals on the air shock.

If youadjust the pressure when the bike is on the sidestand, the ride-height adjustment will be extremely difficult to duplicate and inconsistant - the pressure reading will change depending on the weight on the wheels, the angle of the sidestand and surface under it, especially if you have anything in the saddlebags or top-trunk. Try sitting on the bike while holding it vertically with the sidestand up, set an air pressure, then bounce on the seat a couple of times and observe what happens to the air pressure readings. You'll see it changes quite a bit each time you bounce on the seat and then sit back down on it.

Just remember not to exceed the 57psi limit or you stand a very good chance that you'll be replacing the air shock seals.

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
imported post

Daffy-one
Thanks for the help. The psi gage on an 08 G/W, is there one? I measured the height between 5 an 20. approx 9/16 of an inch, weight on the wheels, after presetting the heights on the center stan and with the help of my wife and a level.
When I go from 1up (me), to 2up (my wife and items in compartmets) should I do this on the center stan as well before we load up to be consistant?
I am new to the Goldwing, 1500 miles and loving it and learming!!
Thanks, Mkeliher.

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
imported post

Sorry, Mkeliher, I don't know how, but I missed this one when you sent it to me. :baffled:

I can't answer your question,don't have an 1800. I ride a GL1500, so I don't have enough hands-on experience with the new G'wings.

Come on folks, I'm sure several of you on this forum can help Mkeliher, jump in with the infohe needs.:cool:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.