Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

Just wondering if anyone could answer how much suspension air is to much. Owners manual has maximum setting at 4.0 kpa. Myself and my wife and I'm towing a tent trailer weighing around 300 to 350 pds behind my 1989 GL 1500. Is there any issues with adding a little more air to the suspensionto increase the ride height??

Thanks

A.J.

·
Guru
3,074 Posts
imported post

Hi A.J., Welcome to the forum! Your tongue weight is most likely around 35 pounds if the trailer is ballanced right. Most weights on a tongue are around 10% of the gross weight.

honda's max pressure is a recomendation & it is a good idea to stay within the guidelines when ever possible but If you go to a higher pressure, dont push your luck too far.

Your best bet long term is to upgrade your shocks!

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
imported post

Hi A.J. I also have a 1500 and tow a trailer. I have tried all different setting and I have found the best to be around 80lbs in the rear shocks when on the centre stand which shows about 125lbs when under load. I also run with 35lbs in the trailer tyres. works for me.
Regards Chris

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
imported post

hatchetman wrote:
Hi A.J., Welcome to the forum! Your tongue weight is most likely around 35 pounds if the trailer is ballanced right. Most weights on a tongue are around 10% of the gross weight.

honda's max pressure is a recomendation & it is a good idea to stay within the guidelines when ever possible but If you go to a higher pressure, dont push your luck too far.

Your best bet long term is to upgrade your shocks!
Thanks for the welcome and the advice I only meant to add another 10 or so pounds from the max of 57psi. I'm guessing if that doesnt work I'll have to upgrade the rear shocks. Any suggestions on the type of upgrade.

Thanks A.J.

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
imported post

ChrisNut wrote:
Hi A.J. I also have a 1500 and tow a trailer. I have tried all different setting and I have found the best to be around 80lbs in the rear shocks when on the centre stand which shows about 125lbs when under load. I also run with 35lbs in the trailer tyres. works for me.
Regards Chris
Thanks Chris I'll try and bring it up to 70 or so and see how the ride is with me /mama and the trailer. If that doesnt do it I might have to do as hatchet suggests and upgrade the rear suspension. Have already upgraded the fronts to progressives.

Thanks

A.J.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.