Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I have struggled with a failed hip replacement (resurfacing) for the past fouryearsand a failed corrective surgery for it this past October (2008). I see the surgeon again later in January to see what his next brainstorm will be to try to fix the problem. I am not optimistic, but the only consolation is that I can still ride my GL1200.
My wife (bless her heart
) knows how much I enjoy riding and wants me to buy a new 2009 wing this spring. If my health holds up, I am thinking ofgetting the airbag model.

My question to those who have the airbag models is howhas the layout of the controls worked out for you?My understandingis that theradio controls have been moved to the left side of the fairing (as you can tell, I have not yetsat on an airbag model).Has the placement of the controls worked out okay, or are there issues with having them moved from the"tank"? Does it cause maintenance issues (for instance, changing the air filter)?

Has anyone had or heard of accidental deployment of the airbag? I read somewhere that if you hit a pothole hard that it could possibly deploy it (we have plenty of those in Ohio).

I read that the standard fork brace won't fit on the airbag model, but that is not something I think I would ever want, so it is not a factor for me. I am not a 'bling' guy, so my 1800 will likely remain stock, but ifyou have experienced issues with adding certain accessories, it would be good to know.

When I first heard about the airbag, I sort of snickered, but once I saw some of the test videos, it looks like it could really save youif you have the 'right' collision.

I would feel good with the ABS model, but I would feel better with the airbag there - even though hopefully it will never be used.

Thanks for any info you can provide.

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

I have never even rode an airbag model but I can ease your mind about your concerns.

Even on the standard model you do not have to take your eyes off the road or mess with radio controls. Once you have the basic controls set to your preference, such as radio on, CB on, intercom on, volume of the Navi, all that stuff set, then the volume and the rest of it is controlled by the handlebar switch.

No one goes down the road messing with the radio buttons, well maybe some do, but even with using the radio you can switch channels with the switch on the handle bar.

So I think that is not a concern.

"The airbag is dangerous, it will blow up an cause you to wreck"
, yep I have heard that nonsense statement several times myself.

Folks who do not understand, or for whatever reason run their mouths and start rumors, have no clue as to how things really work. I am around many bikes, I belong to two large forums, and I read and study everything I can get hold of about the 1800. I have never seen or heard of a justified case of the airbag deploying prematurely and causing an accident.

I suppose if you ran into a one foot deep hole, and came to an abrupt stop like they are designed to do, it would deploy, it has the sensors located on the front forks , but that might be a good thing, cushion your impact with the windscreen.

Kit

·
Premium Member
1,969 Posts
imported post

pauln wrote:
My question to those who have the airbag models is howhas the layout of the controls worked out for you?My understandingis that theradio controls have been moved to the left side of the fairing (as you can tell, I have not yetsat on an airbag model).Has the placement of the controls worked out okay, or are there issues with having them moved from the"tank"? Does it cause maintenance issues (for instance, changing the air filter)?
Kit seems to have it mostly right.

The radio controls are on the left side, very similar in location to the 1100s and 1200s, which I was already used to. The headlight, rear suspension, and NAVadjustments are on the right; so you sacrifice the locking glovebox.

Some radio functions are not accesible from the handlebar controls. To change preset stations you do need to push the buttons on the radio panel. To switch from radio/AUX/CD/Weather stations, again the radio panel. To switch from headsets/bike speakers for each of the above functions including the CB, again on the radio panel. To change volume for intercom or fine tune the sound also thru the panel. Turn on/off radio/AUX/CD/CB/Weather/Intercom/NAV also thru panel only.

Handlebar controls allow for: volume control of current function (except intercom),radio seek, mute,channel surf, CB(squelch, channel, volume, talk), mute, NAVzoom, CD track selection.

It doesn't take long to know where every button is. The buttons are large and easily activated without taking your eyes off of the road. I haven't had any maintenance issues regarding the controls however, I do make sure that I disconnect the battery before doing anything that might cause an accidental airbag deployment.

·
Premium Member
679 Posts
imported post

Pauln,

I bought an '06 Airbag in August. I love it, but I too wondered if having the radio controls on the left fairing would be a detriment, but it is not. The buttons are bigger than the ones they put on the tank and the radio preset buttons have little ridges on them, so it is easy to press them, even when gloved up. I set my favorite stations on the lower row as it is easier to press them, even by feel without looking - or with just a glance. As was said above, most of those buttons are seldom needed underway - common functions that are often used are on the left handlebar.

If I didn't want an airbag and had a choice, I would leave all the buttons as is. The Airbag costs a little over a grand, money I hope I spent for something I will never use. But, I'd hate for my last thought someday to be, darn, wish I'd bought that Airbag, splat!

Can you image the lawsuits Honda would suffer if they had inadvertent Airbag deployments? Do cars have inadvertent deployments? Sure it could happen, anything can, but the odds are greatly against it. Most accidents occur as a result of human error, not mechanical error. (Andwhen it is mechanical error, usually a maintenance problem, not a design error. Odds are far greater you or another rider will cause a collision, versus the Airbag deploying inadvertently.

If you want some more photos of all of the controls, PM me an email address and I will send them to you.

The Airbag makes changing the air filter a littler longer job, you can't put a lower fender extension on (suppose it affects the sensors) I wouldn't be surprised if a fork brace would to, you have to buy an Airbag specific driving lights set (because the OEM switch won't fit in the left control group) and their might be other bling that shouldn't go on. Basically anything going on the front should be checked with Honda to ensure it won't affect the airbag sensors.

I asked a dealer, "How many buy the Airbag?" He said, "Have you seen the Airbag demo video?" I said, "Yes." He said, "Everybody that has seen it."

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,969 Posts
imported post

TitaniumWing wrote:
you can't put a lower fender extension on (suppose it affects the sensors)
Mounting fender extensions does not interfer with airbag deployment, nor does the hardware for them...... at least on the four versions I considered.

·
Premium Member
679 Posts
imported post

Lil Pete wrote:
TitaniumWing wrote:
you can't put a lower fender extension on (suppose it affects the sensors)
Mounting fender extensions does not interfer with airbag deployment, nor does the hardware for them...... at least on the four versions I considered.
I read it somewhere, and my buddy in Colorado mentioned it to me, but the dealers have contacted some Airbag owners to remove them - but I am no expert here, so it would take further research to confirm - but worth checking into. (I would like to have the fender extension so I will do some more checking on the subject.)

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Thanks for all of the great information. I did not think having the radio controls moved to the left side would cause any problems, but I wanted to hear from those who owned an airbag to make sure.

The airbags have been out for what - 3 years now - so, if there were accidental deployments, we probably would have heard about them here and on other forums.

Your postings make me feel more comfortable about getting an airbag versus the ABS-only version.

I had a friend who had a pickup truck turn left in front of him about 2 years ago. He had a BMW with ABS which helped him not slide, but he could only manuever a little to the left and couldn't get stopped. He hit the bed of the pickup and was tossed up and over the bed and onto the street on the other side. He was broken up pretty badly, but did recover except for a limp that he has from a broken hip. I can't help but wonder if he would not have went over the truck at all if he had had an airbag. Of course, that is just speculation, but it does make you wonder every timeyou see acar approaching with the left turn signal on (sometimes without :shock:).

I will see what my surgeon says when I see him at the end of January. Right now, I have to use a cane to walk, but I bought a folding cane that I can fit in the wing, soI can still ride. If he wants to do a different type of surgery on me, there would not be any sense in getting a new wing in the spring since I would not be able to ride it.

Also, I am trying to not write my usual 1,000,000 word post, so I am not going into detail about my hip problems. However, if any of you are contemplating having a hip replacement or hip resurfacing done, I have a lot of knowledge I can share with you if you want to know more. PM me and I would be glad to share. I have had both the best experience (left hip - resurfaced perfectly) and the worst (right hip - resurfacing somehow gone bad - 4 years of pain and misery).

·
Premium Member
1 Posts
imported post

I have an 2008 airbag model. It is the first goldwing that I haveowned and rode. I have no problems with control placement as I learned on this model.

Have not had airbag deploy due to pot holes and I have hit my share in Indiana and on several out of state trips. I also hit a recap which caused damage to lower chin fairing but air bag did not deploy.

However I did hit a deer at 70mph one night and the air bay deployed. I went forward into the airbag I think the deer hit the front of the airbag. I then pushed the air bag down so I could seeand rode to the edge of the road and parked bike. The only injury was bruises on my inner thighs due to trim around airbag blowing out with the bag.

The deer was killed almost split in half. Without airbag and antilock brakes I would have dropped the bike and slid down interstate probaly to be run over by a truck.

The bikehad 8 thousand plus dollars in damages. It was repaired and has run problem free for over 10 thousand miles.

The state police were about to cuff me for being impaired until the saw the airbag and deer piece on the goldwing.

I am convicec the antilock brakes and airbag savedme from massive injuries if not deadth.

Yes You have to remove airbag assembly to service air filter not hard but a pain.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.