Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Folks, I am looking for a new Touring Wing but I am finding that they are scarce. I want Red/Black, DCT. The dealer of my choice just offered to sell me an airbag DCT for close to the same prices as a non-airbag. As far as I know, you lose the smallish glovebox directly in front of you. How big of an issue is that? What do I lose and what do I gain with an airbag Wing? I know that is I want to add the aftermarket intercom system, it is to be located in that glovebox.

Thx for your input!

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,762 Posts
As for WHAT you gain, is the ability to keep the rubber side down if you hit the brakes so hard, the tires start to slide on terra ferma, be that pavement, or dirt.

To me, I would RUN and accept his offer, the lack of storage is more than made up for the additional Safety of ABS.

·
Administrator
26,967 Posts
As for WHAT you gain, is the ability to keep the rubber side down if you hit the brakes so hard, the tires start to slide on terra ferma, be that pavement, or dirt.

To me, I would RUN and accept his offer, the lack of storage is more than made up for the additional Safety of ABS.
He is talking about the air bag, not ABS. Pretty sure ABS is standard on all of them now.

·
Administrator
26,967 Posts
What do I lose and what do I gain with an airbag Wing?

Thx for your input!
The air bag would be a life saver in the event of a direct frontal collision, other than that it doesn't offer anything. What you loose is storage space but there's not a lot of space in the compartment anyway.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The air bag would be a life saver in the event of a head on collision, other than that it doesn't offer anything. What you loose is storage space but there's not a lot of space in the compartment anyway.
Not to be smart, but I can't visualize how an airbag would save me. I get it in cars because there are so dag-gum many of them, but on a bike, you can fly in so many different directions, how does one airbag do anything?

·
Administrator
26,967 Posts
Not to be smart, but I can't visualize how an airbag would save me. I get it in cars because there are so dag-gum many of them, but on a bike, you can fly in so many different directions, how does one airbag do anything?
Like I said, in direct frontal collisions only. Otherwise it's useless.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Like I said, in direct frontal collisions only. Otherwise it's useless.
My experience is that most bike crashes are lay-down, slide down.

Although, we had a weird one last week and, just today, I rode in the bike parade for the funeral. Guy bought new bike; 1st one he had in 25 years. Coming home from the dealer, he took exit ramp to right, looking to make left hand turn onto overpass. Somehow he messed up, hit curb, flew over the bars and onto the roadway below, instantly killing him. So sad.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My experience is that most bike crashes are lay-down, slide down.

Although, we had a weird one last week and, just today, I rode in the bike parade for the funeral. Guy bought new bike; 1st one he had in 25 years. Coming home from the dealer, he took exit ramp to right, looking to make left hand turn onto overpass. Somehow he messed up, hit curb, flew over the bars and onto the roadway below, instantly killing him. So sad.
Between this forum and another, I have taken your advice. I put a deposit on the air bag Wing. Searching youTube was another eye opener. Lets put it this way: I was renewing my handgun carry permit (PA) at the local Sherriff's office. I commented that I hope to never need to the permit. The Sherriff stopped me in my tracks by saying: You have life insurance don't you? All this is is another insurance policy.

·
Premium Member
554 Posts
Between this forum and another, I have taken your advice. I put a deposit on the air bag Wing. Searching youTube was another eye opener. Lets put it this way: I was renewing my handgun carry permit (PA) at the local Sherriff's office. I commented that I hope to never need to the permit. The Sherriff stopped me in my tracks by saying: You have life insurance don't you? All this is is another insurance policy.
These things are scarce! Wife and I decided Sat to buy one, but that was the easy part! With the help of my local dealer, who "didn't know when, or if he'd get more this year", located one yesterday and rode it home last night. So far I've got 170 miles on her and run through one tank of gas, can't wait for more.

Good luck and place your deposit, it won't be there long.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
These things are scarce! Wife and I decided Sat to buy one, but that was the easy part! With the help of my local dealer, who "didn't know when, or if he'd get more this year", located one yesterday and rode it home last night. So far I've got 170 miles on her and run through one tank of gas, can't wait for more.

Good luck and place your deposit, it won't be there long.
For me, finding the red-black color was the hard part, regardless of 6 speed, DCT, or air bag. The 'bag dropped in my lap.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts