Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

[flash=425,344]http://www.youtube.com/v/YsZqN-uEgQU&feature=g-vrec&context=G28d713aRVAAAAAAAAAQ&hl=en&fs=1[/flash]

Paro is the only airport in Bhutan which is located in a deep valley at an elevation of 7300 ft above sea level. The surrounding hills are high as 16,000 ft and approach into Paro airport is entirely by visual flight rules.

Drukair and the Royal Government of Bhutan considered it necessary to upgrade the Drukair fleet with newer generation commercial aircraft with increased capacity and performance abilities. The management thus, met up with compatible manufactures that could serve Paro airport and finally brought it down to two manufactures, Boeing and Airbus. After both having done demonstration flights at Paro International Airport, decision was finally made to purchase two Airbus A319.

With the purchase contract agreement signed and payments finally made, Drukair purchased and Airbus delivered two A319 in the largest transaction the country had ever taken. The final delivery of the A319 was made on December 3, 2004 and as of now, both the Airbus are operational.

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

Nice one, Lloyd!

Sure takes some skill! I'd hate to come in there when it's raining/snowing with it's associated lower visibility, which I would imagine given their location, is quite frequently! :shock:

·
Premium Member
6,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

rgbeard wrote:
Saying that it's VFR-only is a tad bit inaccurate. There's a VOR approach. Although MDA is 12,500, it's still an IFR approach.

http://www.virtualiroma.it/eventi/DANG4/VQPR.pdf

Cool, heck yea.

Accurate? Not really.
Oops Rusty :headbanger:

Not being a flyboy myself, I wouldn't know a VFR from a VOR, MDA or an IFR.
I am familiar with a VCR although they are history now.:D

All I know is (if I am correct) they can't seem to see the runway till about 500 ft and it is not a straight forward approach. It would be an exciting ride in poor weather.
It gets pretty close toa house at 6:38. :shock:

·
Premium Member
1,390 Posts
imported post

Interesting approach, reminds me of my Bush Pilot days....

·
Premium Member
6,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

rgbeard wrote:
Saying that it's VFR-only is a tad bit inaccurate. There's a VOR approach. Although MDA is 12,500, it's still an IFR approach.

http://www.virtualiroma.it/eventi/DANG4/VQPR.pdf

Cool, heck yea.

Accurate? Not really.
Wow. Thanks for the link Rusty. I only just checked it now.

I guess it is the same one that wasin the video. :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
2,642 Posts
imported post

Good flying but like said above, not really what I would call difficult.A good pilot can do that. If you really want to watch good stick and rudder pilots, watch your local ag pilot (cropduster). And no they are not crazy (ok a few maybe) but these guys are pilots pilots........

Yes I am a bit prejudiced....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.