Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

OK, trying to install an airhorn here and I'm about ready to lose it.

The relay wiring is hooked in as follows:

30 - Fused link to positive terminal of battery

85 - Horn

86 - Ground

87 - Positive terminal on airhorn

Airhorn is grounded as well at negative post

I have checked all wiring multiple times, double checking that everything is right, but everytime I turn on the key, the airhorn automatically blows. I even considered the possibility that there was something wrong with the relay, so I replaced it with one that I knew was good and got the same results.

Any help here would be GREATLY appreciated.

·
Premium Member
1,365 Posts
imported post

:waving:Right now you have the horn button/switch missing in the circuit.
My wiring diagram shows:
Relay #30 new wire, 14 gauge, to + on new Horn
Relay #87 new inline fuse to+ battery
Your connection, #30 and #87 are OK.
- connection on the new Horn to ground.
Relay #85 and #86 should be connected to yourexisting two OEM horn wires.

Attachments

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Try it this way, connect one of the two wires that came to your old horn to the #85 on the relay. Connect the other old horn wire to #86. Try your horn button, you should hear the relay click. Now connect #87 to a fused 12V source and connect #30 to the positive connection of your air horn, ground the other lead. That should do it.

Ya beat me to it Wichita, pretty much the same either will work but your diagram might explain it better.

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

I've had the same problem. I ended up leaving one of the sotck horns installed for now. I've got to do some wire tracing as it looks like some one installed jumper wires between the 2 original horn wires at the horn. Which causes both wires to show 12 volts even when their disconnected from the horns. Only one of them should have voltage until you press the horn button to complete the circuit to ground.

For now it works like it's supposed to but I still need to trace the wiring and fix it like it's supposed to be.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.