Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious ...

Has anyone done any research on, or had any experience with, the PowerCom Bluetooth Helmet Connector PB-HC2 by AKE???
(http://www.spoiledbiker.com/ake39303.html#1087)

It LOOKS like the perfect solution!!! Which is why I'm skeptical.

The basic idea seems to be to leverage the existing Honda 5-pin headset connections, and simply convert the signals from analog to digital and link via bluetooth to a helmet headset. Seems too simple a solution (which may be why no one has thought of it yet, or why it's too good to be true).

Again, just curious ...

Thanks!!!

·
Premium Member
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
From what I have learned so far, the unit requires that it be accessible in order to switch between stereo and 2-way (aka:CB).It relies on the helmet headset's ability to connect to both it and your cell phone, which means you'resomewhat limited in which headsets you can use (the SENA SMH10's I have ARE on the list).

That's the bad news. The good news is, with a velcro mount, it looks to fit nicely on the cowling just to the right of the left storage pocket. I'm thinking I'm going to take a chance and try them out. If anyone has any bad experiences. PLEASE let meknow before tomorrow morning.I'm shooting for noon as my 'pulling the trigger' point.

As always ... Thanks!!!

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
I'm interested too.
I clicked on Goldwing at the top of the page and it showed 'coming soon ' so you should call before ordering on line. Ask them lots of questions!

·
Premium Member
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
They're definitly available. The link I posted is to the 'universal' version, which not only costs more, the cable to connect to the headset port isn't included.:wtf:

Here is the link to the one that is dedicated to the Goldwing headset port... http://www.spoiledbiker.com/product3898.html#3898

I did speak with Ron (?) from Spoiled Bikers and he indicated he has had very good luck with these. They're a little tricky to setup if your going to be connecting your headset to both the AKE PowerCom AND a cell phone, but the video is pretty good about demonstrating the steps. He also directed me away from the universal version, as it's more money for the same thing.

I think I'm going to take the plunge. I'll let you know if they work as advertised.

·
Premium Member
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
UPDATE ...

I bought two units from www.spoiledbiker.com (1 for rider, 1 for passenger). To my utter amazement, they arrived via snail mail, only two days after purchase. VERY happy about that! :claps:

I decided to install one and test it. That way, if I didn't like it, I'd still (hopefully) be able to return the other one. To my utter disappointment, the installation instructions are ... well ... they suck! :wtf:

The manual is in both German and English, but the English part may as well be written in German. That said, the install is actually really easy. Run the two wires from the AKE sub-harness to a power and a ground point and connect the headset plug to the goldwing headset port. Then pair and go.

Sounds simple, right? :?

It is, unless the wires are labeled wrong (as mine were) and you connect 12v to the ground wire, and ground the power wire. Does BAD THINGS to the AKE, man ... bad things!!! :sadguy:

I did everything I could think of to trace the problem, including un-installing the sub-harness and mapping each wire in order to try to get the unit working out of the bike. In the end I discovered the problem by openning the second unit and comparing the sub-harness labels.

Whether I would have/should have noticed the mistake or not, I consider this 'faulty craftsmenship' and will be arguing that point with Spoiled Biker on Monday. :lash: They either need to ensure the labels are 100% correct, or provide MUCH better installation insturctions.

I'll keep you posted on how it goes with the remaining unit.

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
I wonder if the reverse cabling is a fall back on the old bikes from across the pond that had the positive as the ground before the industry wide mandatory negative ground standards???

·
Premium Member
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Could be ... but that would mean that the one I opened second was the one that was labeled wrong ... besides, the first harness is the one that killed the AKE.

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
Maybe they should be called ACME

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
Sorry to hear one of yours was mislabled, very poor QC on someones part. Very interested in the outcomes of your testing. Could be a reasonably priced answer to blue tooth on the bikes. I followed your link to the GoldWing info from SpoiledBiker. Although it clearly says GoldWing in the url, all references appear to be based on the HD product.

·
Premium Member
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
OK ... so I've got the second unit installed and done some testing. LOTS more to figure out, but initial results are promising.

First, once the wiring issue was identified and the power & ground wires installed correctly, the rest of the install was a snap, literally. The subharness just plugs into the radio headset plug and you're done. Seriously, other than having someone else do it for you, I can't think of an easier install.

If wired to an accessory switched power point, the AKE powers on when the ACC circuit is energized. Overall a nice feature, but one that could be problematic (as I'll explain shortly).

The initial pairing went pretty much exactly as in the SpoilerBiker video. I did have some trouble getting my SMH10 to stay connected to my phone when I paired it with the AKE. I suspect there's something I'm doing wrong, either with the phone (blackberry bold) or the SMH-10, and I just need to work out the details. I'll keep you posted.

The only other problem I encountered was with the 'Pair & Go' feature. It could be because of the phone pairing issue above, but when the AKE first comes on it goes into pairing mode, which I suspect is just the normal 'Pair & Go' process. However, it doesn't re-connect with my SMH10, I have to put my SMH10 back into pairing mode for it to connect with the AKE. Again, I may be doing something wrong, like not being patient enough, (I waited about a minute). If this is normal, however, it could be a hastle going forward.

As far as performance, if you're expecting theater quality dolby 5.1 surround sound, buy a Lexus. If you just want reasonably clear audio, and can deal with having to push a button to toggle between stereo audio and 2-way radio, this may work well for you. There was a very slight (read very, very, very slight) back-ground hiss. But nothing so bad it over-powered the radio and was really only audible when the radio was silent. Again, if you're an audiophile you may be disappointed. Personnally, I was OK with it.

Because of the phone connection issues, I havn't gotten around to testing the interaction between the 2-way radio and phone microphone sensitivity. When the unit initially powers up it's in 2-way mode. If you're not expecting it, being suddenly blasted by the sound of your nose hairs flapping can be pretty un-nerving. Yeah, it's THAT sensitive. I had to crank the mic control volume WAY down. I'm hoping this won't affect how the SMH10 mic interacts with the phone but, again, I'll keep you posted.

Overall, I'm fairly pleased with the unit. I'm sure things will get easier the more I work with it. But so far, I'd be OK with recommending you try it for yourself.

Let me know if you have any questions. I'll try to keep you posted on anything else I learn ... And I'll DEFINITLY let you know if SpoiledBiker does me right on returning the first one!!

Cheers!

·
Premium Member
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
UPDATE ... so far, so good on the return. Spoiled Biker agreed to exchange the dead unit. No joy on resolving the outstanding re-connect issues ... I'll try to keep you posted.

·
Premium Member
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

UPDATE ... I am becoming increasingly suspicious that my pairing issues are related to my BlackBerry Bold. It seems I cannot have both it and the AKE paired with the SMH10 at the same time. Here's what I've done so far ...

Following the instructions on the Spoiled Biker video successfully pairs both the BlackBerry and the AKE with the SMH10. Part of the instructions, however, include shutting off the phone bluetooth while pairng the AKE. Once all Pairing is complete, the BlackBerry will not re-connect with the SMH10, no matter what pairing order I attempt. It shows a successful connection, then drops the connection.

At this point I am still struggling with reconnecting the AKE to the SMH10 after the bike ignition is shut down. I still have to put the SMH10 into pairing mode for it to re-connect to the AKE. I'm not 100% convinced this isn't related to the phone issue, except that it happens even if the phone is shut down. My next attempt will be to reset the SMH10 to factory default, re-install the 4.2 firmware, then try to connect it to the the AKE only, and see if it reconnects 'normally' every time.

Given the fact that I'm having trouble getting/keeping everything connected, and the Spoiled Biker video shows the AKE connecting to an iPhone (and the fact that I am not very fond of this blackberry to begin with), My next step may be to junk the Blackberry and upgrade to a different phone ... or at least that's what I'm telling my wife ... :ssshh:

More to come ...

·
Premium Member
1 Posts
HC-2 Bluetooth Units for Goldwing

Hello All,

Rod here with Spoiled Biker.

That issue with the wrong labels was just an AKE error.

AKE can be interesting to deal with at times but quality it typically very good.

The HC-2s work as advertised. As mentioned they can take a little more patience and they are very sensitive to other bluetooth devices around them.

Let me know if there are other questions as to what they will/will not do.

Best Regards,
Rod

·
Premium Member
210 Posts
Geotigg, I trying to watch and read everything you are doing. May I will add this to my goldwing. Keep typing it in so we can follow.
Thanks
Steve

·
Premium Member
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Sorry for the delay in keeping you all updated ... It's riding season in WNY and ... well ... I've been "busy" ... ;)

The AKE is VERY sensitive to other bluetooth devices. VERY!!! It definitly works as advertised, but getting it to re-pair is a challenge, and it DEFINITLY doesn't like to share a connection to my Sena SMH10 with a phone. One or the other seems to drop out. I DID upgrade my phone (Galaxy S3) and I'm still having issues. That said, I reset my SMH10 to factory default and re-install the 4.2 firmware, but haven't given the full configuration another full-on try. Like I said, it's riding season, and that's WAY too short in these parts. :cheesygrin:

I've recieved a few private messages from folks looking for my opinion. I appologize if I wasn't able to get back to you before you made your purchase, or if my opinion was incoherant ...

I would VERY much like to keep this thread going as a way to learn about ways to alleviate the problems I'm having. Please post your experiences with this product as you have them. It's definitly a solid step in the right direction as far as connecting the onboard audio to the helmet via bluetooth.

Thanks for your patience. TTYL :waving:

·
Premium Member
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hello All,

Rod here with Spoiled Biker.

That issue with the wrong labels was just an AKE error.

AKE can be interesting to deal with at times but quality it typically very good.

The HC-2s work as advertised. As mentioned they can take a little more patience and they are very sensitive to other bluetooth devices around them.

Let me know if there are other questions as to what they will/will not do.

Best Regards,
Rod

May I add that Rod @ SpoiledBiker is as stand-up a guy to deal with as any I've dealt with.

Thank you VERY much for your help Rod!!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.