Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi Guys,

Does anyone use alarm systems on their bikes? I have an after-market system on my GL1500 but it's so much hassle to turn it on/off all the time, plus i'm worried about battery drain.

Any ideas, heads-up ?

Dave.

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
imported post

Better to install a hidden cut off switch even better put a good bar lock on the wheel.

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

I just use something I designed that doesn't drain the battery and with it running, nobody messes with it.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
imported post

I don't see any point to locking up a GL1500.

The GWRRA site did a survey some time back, asking if anyone had ever had a GL1500 stolen... The only case of theft was a bike that was inside a trailer, as the Trailer was being stolen... eg These bikes have zero street value.

Now then, I used to ALWAYS lock up my sport bikes, because those get stolen all the time... but the wing, forget it.

·
Premium Member
552 Posts
imported post

Years ago on another motorcycle (after I had one stolen) I rigged a simple alarm: you need a toggle switch, a fuse and a mercury switch. Run a wire from the battery to the fuse to the switch, then to the mercury switch and on to the horn. Put the toggle switch in an obscure place.

When you park the bike on the side stand, turn the toggle on. If someone tries to upright the bike the merc switch closes and horn blows until it is placed back on the side stand (or falls over).

·
Premium Member
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Thanks guys,

The system is a state of the art setup with immobilizer andeverything. These bikes are too full of electrics as it is. Best to revert to stock and do any extra's myself so that i can document it.

Honestly, i'd more or less come to the same conclusion. The mercury switch option is about as "high tech" as i need to go.

Thanks again,:applause:

Dave.

·
Premium Member
202 Posts
imported post

I have the best alarm systen ever made and boy does it work.

It comes on automatically

It is so loud

You cannot see it when it is installed

It not only checks the gas gauge.........

It lets you know when you are over the speed limit and

It even detects women in skimpy clothing and

monitors the amount of alcohol in your system and

It signals when the seat gets too hard.......AND

It hits your helmet when any of the above are not met.

It is called by some " A REAR AIR BAG " not by me of course.

Mine I call " HONEY " it seems to make the alarm work better.

·
Premium Member
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

hoofman wrote:
I have the best alarm systen ever made and boy does it work.

It comes on automatically

It is so loud

You cannot see it when it is installed

It not only checks the gas gauge.........

It lets you know when you are over the speed limit and

It even detects women in skimpy clothing and

monitors the amount of alcohol in your system and

It signals when the seat gets too hard.......AND

It hits your helmet when any of the above are not met.

It is called by some " A REAR AIR BAG " not by me of course.

Mine I call " HONEY " it seems to make the alarm work better.
That system got taken off years ago.

Dave.

·
Premium Member
11,739 Posts
imported post

I work in a dealers and we have taken off more alarms than we have fitted , they are a pain in the rear end and most of our breakdown call outs are for dead batteries ,because of alarms , I would NEVER fit an alarm to a goldwing ,ever .. Total waste of money and will only give you more trouble than it is worth , Ciaran

·
Premium Member
112 Posts
imported post

Well thats answered my question and saved me some hard earned cash.

·
Premium Member
1,735 Posts
imported post

I had an alarm on one of my cars that only gave me trouble. From dead batteries to false positives it was more of an annoyance than anything else. I took it off fairly quickly in favor of keeping my sanity. Now, that being said, the mercury switch idea does sound like a good one, but I might just have to save that one for another bike.

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
imported post

I believe alarm systems are completely worthless. Invest in a cover. Nobody pays any attention to alarm systems, and locks, chains, cables, etc. all all VERY easily cut. Better to just keep the bike out of sight.

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
imported post

Deterence is the key.

A simple blinking LED is all that's needed, ...if that. Keeps most knuckleheads away.

If there's any theft interest, it would be in your side covers I would think.

·
Premium Member
1,136 Posts
imported post

Yeah, mine woke up the entire hotel when it went off at 3:00 a.m. It took the night manager an hour to locate the owner(me)while the horn continued to blast and run the battery down. In the morning I had to push start it past a hotel full of angry guests through the parking lot. Never again.

·
Premium Member
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
imported post

wexy wrote:
I work in a dealers and we have taken off more alarms than we have fitted , they are a pain in the rear end and most of our breakdown call outs are for dead batteries ,because of alarms , I would NEVER fit an alarm to a goldwing ,ever .. Total waste of money and will only give you more trouble than it is worth , Ciaran
Ciaran,

Anything i should watch out for when removing the system ? It's a Laserline system (Italian) with all the bells and whistles.

Dave.

·
Biker for life
36 Posts
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.