Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

right time of year to go

• yes

• no

alaska 2020

20K views 131 replies 23 participants last post by  ding dong 
#1 ·
planning a trip to alaska on june 20 2020 for 4 weeks, i remember seeing a thread on here about trips to alaska i think anyways if any of you wingers out there have been there recently say the last 2 years i would like to hear you thoughts on the trip most of all the time you went and the road conditions i am attaching a route that we will be taking.we will take 10-11 days to get to anchorage any info would be great tools, cloths, supplies places to see for sure insurance for in canada and documents for entering both canada and usa ( i use my enhanced licence which works here in the eastern states will it work in montana?) yes its 2 years out but i have read it should be planned out thoroughly, the wife and i will be taking my 2012 wing and a newer kompackamper mini mate also are there any other site just strictly on m/c trips to alaska thanks ride safe
https://goo.gl/maps/HC514PYU62t

#2 ·
I think it is in my future. Dont know almost anything about the trip but for me an average of 450+ miles per day for 10 days is out of the question.

A few years back I've met a couple From Texas who just returned from Alaska. The lady put together a great journal of their trip. I just revisited it but the pictures thanks to phottocrap have disappeared.
I hope you'll learn something about it or at least you enjoy the read.

http://datalinkwebdesign.com/alaska/index.html

#3 ·
the first 2 days will be 800+ mile days and the others will range 350-500 through canada to see all we can see

#4 ·
i use the honda tripplanner and was able to share my route but i dont see how you can do that anymore otherwise i would show you my route and stops

#5 ·
this is the best i could do to give you a idea of my route and days day 9 is the shortest of them all since i have read and heard its the toughest part of the trip road wise thought it would give me plenty of time to get through there and then rest up

Attachments

#6 ·
Reactions: last child
#7 · (Edited)
4 weeks is not enough time IMHO. Weather further up north will be unpredictable. Snow? Road repair season has started and will cause delays. Road conditions from the winter in the north can leave roads in a mess.
IMHO your plan is aggressive and leaves no time to see the sites. You are going from A to B, stopping for gas then continuing to the next gas stop. Long riding days!
IMHO...6 weeks minimum....but just my opinion.
As far as paperwork and regulations.....check both Canadian and US Border Services websites for requirements, banned food products(both ways), etc. Keep up to date on requirements as your departure nears. Passports ? Canada has very strict gun laws, basically, don`t allow them in, even in transit. Be aware and up to date of what is required by both governments so there are no surprises at either border.

#8 ·
in most of Alaska, you can't make 450 miles/day, you will be lucky to make half of that.

http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/5-general-motorcycle-discussion-forum/341365-trip-alaska.html

http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums...-forum/576177-looking-little-help-alaska.html

http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums...orum/468977-final-chapter-my-alaska-trip.html

Wilcoy02
Alaskan Explorer on a Valk

on this trip,
I chronicled his trip with pictures of where he stopped almost everyday.
the bike he left with, stayed there, he bought a Valkyrie to come home on.
http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums...-ride-in2015-anyone-seriously-interested.html

This is the actual trip that I logged for him:
http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/3-events/570818-alaska-front-me-i-m-my-way.html

this is his wrap up after he got home.

here is the trip:
http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/3-events/580714-my-10-530-7-mile-alaska-trip-pics-2015-a-2.html

#9 ·
I edited the first post that showed a link to a non-existent picture.

Unfortunately, I hosted nearly all of Wilcoy02's pictures on PhotoBucket...
and those crooks are now requiring $400/year for us to view the pix there by linking to a forum.

So, let me make this suggestion, you need to host all pictures of your trip ON THIS FORUM.
That is the only way to guarantee they will be available in the future....
You need to make an Album and each album can host 80 pictures.
Make as many Albums as needed.

If, you would like to have your trip monitored by me, and pictures uploaded for you,
I can do that by using your passwords.... that is how Wilcoy02 and I managed his trip.

Also, take a cellphone, and monitor for SMS text messages.
Talking up there is very limited, but you will be amazed at how Text Messages can get thru.

So, we tried to use SMS to update small stuff.....
You will only be able to send pictures when you find a WiFi,
and only then IF that WiFi has a wide bandwidth.

There is a new service called WeTransfer that is awesome, you can email a link to someone and they can download your pictures later.

https://wetransfer.com/

https://wetransfer.com/about

#11 ·
my route is one i just thought of we plan on taking longer to get to alaska i want to be able to see the scenery and the date is one i read from someone who went there from mid june to mid july this is all in the planing stage i always like feed back so i can get the big picture when people go and what route they take and what they see if you have a better time to go let me know if you have a route which you think show a lot of scenery let me know the time i have is 4 weeks tops i cant leave work longer then that also the camper, is it suitable i was looking at a timeout but i rather pull a lighter smaller one i pull a timeout cargo now thanks for your time

#13 ·
i also notice that the amount of campgrounds and hotels on the route would we need to make reservation or just go day by day, i really dont want to be rushed to get to the next waypoint we really want to take our time and see things whats you opinion on that thanks

#15 ·
for the ones who have rode there bikes there, what did you stay in a motel or tent or a pull behind camper we are getting a kompact kamper it seems to hold moe stuff inside then i see the others do plus you dont need to open the entire thing to get to it this one you just open the rear door. just curious what everyone used when traveling thanks

#16 ·
Wilcoy02 only stayed in a motel 3 nights.

and that was only after his group got saturated with cold rain for over 3 days/nights.
They were cold and miserable and wanted Hot Food

They tent camped only, got flooded out a few times with the wrong choice of campsites.

#17 ·
Hanko and I, along with wives did the trip a few years back. As I recall, it rained every day, or darn near every day. We rode about 200 miles on torn up roads - mostly in Yukon. We camped except for 3 days. No reservations. I would recommend that you travel with another motorcycle. I wouldn't do that trip alone. Carry very good tire repair kits. If you get a flat and can't fix it yourself and reinflate it, you're doomed. Rest up at Whitehorse. It's a great town and there's a very good campground just outside of town. They even have a do-it-yourself carwash where you can get all the goop off your bike.

#18 ·
thanks for all the helpful info i have another question on the time of year to go. can you tell me the time off year you went and the weather you encountered on the way? thanks again for the info

#21 ·
This is the ride of a lifetime. My brother did this a couple of years ago with some friends. He was on a HD road king. Unimproved roads beat the crap out of his bike. He bought a new one the next year, but that is a Harley. Be ready to go 1000 miles on gravel. Once he got up north he was advised to not camp out because of the bears. You may consider driving to Seattle or Bellingham WA and putting the bike on a ferry and only riding one direction. I'm not voting on the best time to go because it rains all the time. I have not been to Alaska, but I have been up to northern BC in August. Weather was nice (no rain), but it was cold, the puddles had morning ice on them in August. Keep us posted.

#22 ·
ok bringing this back out, would like you own opinion on when to head to Alaska i was planning on leaving upstate NY June 20 from anyone who has gone there when and how was the weather going up and coming back i have a poll above which you can use or leave a message about your trip thanks for the info

#23 ·
#24 ·
I just got back from Alaska July 5th. It was an awesome trip. It sounds like you are going to the southern part of the state. Your timing is fine and could be earlier if you wanted since you are not going north. I was in Deadhorse on June 13th and it snowed, but that is north of the Brooks range. When I was in Anchorage the week before and Fairbanks the week after it was beautiful and warm.

One bit of advise. Plan on tires in Anchorage. Best to take them with you if you can. The Canadian roads are unbelievably hard on tires. I left Key West with 80% tread on Elite 3s and the rear was slap worn out when I got to Anchorage. A set of tires and installation and an oil change cost me $1050.

#25 ·
yes we are doing the south but also going to the circle sign and camping at Marion creek as for tires i plan on taking a front the rear is a c/t both will be new just before the trip so should be fine the total distance , oil change i can do on a break day i have oil preference so i will be bring that with me the plan has change once in the year i have been planning the wife will be flying into anchorage and riding the journey back with me the dates are june 27 - aug 2 2020 have the ok from work for that time off and maybe a help in expenses. i have a itinerary planned out its just a referance i know i wont stay on it but i usually do but this will be a different journey. I'm up for anyone's opinion thing do change. also if any members that are near theat would let me set up my tent for a night that would be great.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.