right time of year to go

• yes

• no

Results are only viewable after voting.
81 - 100 of 125 Posts

·
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #81
427 days! still debating on camper or use cargo and tent and motel cheaper to camp but better mpg with cargo have a year to battle it out i guess

·
Administrator
58,478 Posts
I pulled a trailer so I would have all of the gear, food, tools, spares that I thought I would need.

but, I stayed in hotels as I can't sleep if the temps are above 68 degrees F.
traveld 4,000 miles in 4 weeks a couple of years ago

·
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #83
i think i will use the camper so much easier to set up camp for the night then a tent, takes 2 min to open and get out of the rain if there is any.

·
Administrator
58,478 Posts
setting up, or tearing down and packing a tent in the rain is not fun.
Wilcoy02 can vouch for that on his Alaskan tent...

he and his buddy rode for a week in rain and deep muddy roads.... when they finally came to a town with a hotel, they stayed in it for 2 days trying to get warmed up again.

unfortunately, most of the pictures were hosted on PhotoBucket by me, and I can't afford their new rates to let them show on the forum, here is his thread.

https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/3-events/570818-alaska-front-me-i-m-my-way.html

note that while going thru Canada, his bike's engine broke down, and he bought a Honda Valkarie that just happened to come up for sale in the same town he was at.... he left the broken bike on the road where it quit.

here is where he says the engine locked up https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/3-events/570818-alaska-front-me-i-m-my-way-4.html#post4097793

this is another reason to always ride with a buddy.....

after about the 4th page, it seems that I started uploading all of his pictures to the Forum Gallery, so not all is lost.

·
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #86
setting up, or tearing down and packing a tent in the rain is not fun.
Wilcoy02 can vouch for that on his Alaskan tent...

he and his buddy rode for a week in rain and deep muddy roads.... when they finally came to a town with a hotel, they stayed in it for 2 days trying to get warmed up again.

unfortunately, most of the pictures were hosted on PhotoBucket by me, and I can't afford their new rates to let them show on the forum, here is his thread.

https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/3-events/570818-alaska-front-me-i-m-my-way.html

note that while going thru Canada, his bike's engine broke down, and he bought a Honda Valkarie that just happened to come up for sale in the same town he was at.... he left the broken bike on the road where it quit.

here is where he says the engine locked up https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/3-events/570818-alaska-front-me-i-m-my-way-4.html#post4097793

this is another reason to always ride with a buddy.....

after about the 4th page, it seems that I started uploading all of his pictures to the Forum Gallery, so not all is lost.

yes i have read that he send me a link to read about his adventure was very good and lots of information

·
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #87
here is just one pix from Wilcoy02's trip

Fireshine, if you have a SPOT or other tracker, I can do the same for you if you like??

i have a garmin se+ i will be using sounds like a plan i'll get with you and we can discuss this thanks

·
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #88
changing my tires for this summers trips going with a Michelin pilot for the front and my Yokohama envigor zps for thew rear, was hoping to hold off with the brakes till this coming winter but wouldn't yo know the left inner pad is down to under 2mm so need to put a new set on well one less thing i need to buy for the Alaska trip next summer. i went with a Michelin pilot to compare with the bt 45 see which one takes the most mileage. going with the Yokohama envigor zps rear for sure.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi Fireshine.

Thought you might like this:

It’s an interview by Dale of Open Road Outfitters (who sell the mini mate camper) with one of his customers who towed it through Alaska - a nice 11 minute video.

We’re in England and counting down the days till my youngest daughter finishes school (7 years) so my wife and I can spend a year visiting all of the American states, including a month in Alaska, plus some of Canada (my sister lives in New Brunswick so a bit of time there too).

Damian

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #90
yes watched this vid and many many others thanks

·
Registered
638 Posts
Good video. Nice looking and practical rig.

Have our trip planned. Have booked hotels for the way up but none on the way back. Leaving 24 June. Cheers

·
Registered
67 Posts
I am going to ride up to Alaska and back again this year. It is part of my six month tour of North America. On the way back, I am turning East through Canada to ride that country from cost to coast. However, THAT may change, depending on my initial experience deal with with Canada and Canadians on the WA to AK round trip.

I have done a lot to prepare for this tour, but when I read through threads like this, I start to worry. I don't mind riding slow, and I don't mind dirt, but I am convinced that when I reach Washington, I will have to find SOMEONE who will mount double Darkside tires onto my bike for the trip up north. After leaving Kentucky and reaching Washington, I should just about wear out my first set of factory tires on my new 2018.

My departure is delayed yet again, but it is a good thing apparently. All of Al Gore's global warming has the whole north part of the country buried in SNOW AD ICE right now!

I thought I had this whole Alaska leg figured out, but now I am once again uncertain if I can pull this off. I will have to pack extra fuel, and things I had not considered. I did not plan for two 2-gallon fuel cans. I guess I will have to get busy making a tongue rack for the cans, with a shield for rocks and such.

Where do I find a good tire repair kit? If I have to ride up there and plug tires along the way, I want the BEST one I can buy.

It is looking like the first or second week in July before I will get to the USA/Canada border now. Maybe I can get there quicker, but I am not anxious to ride into a frozen wonderland.

Anyone who would like to join me for the trip up and/or back again is welcome to contact me and let's stay in touch. I am here of course, but also on Facebook as kentuckyrider I will be posting photos and videos as I can. I have several camera choices.

I am bringing some electronics with me. The usual iPhone and iPad, but also a Garmin InReach Satellite communication device, and two different Mi-Fi options. I guess I will pack a lot of food that can be made without stoves or water. I can live on it for a while.

I may be confused about this trip. I am not generally a "camp along the side of the road" guy. I was HOPING that I would at least find some REAL place with other humans around wherever I stay! Especially since the Canadians are so adamant about not allowing me to carry a nice 44 Magnum or an AR15 along for aggressive wildlife and unreasonable meth heads. "Oh I know! Joe! GUNS ARE SCARY!" If I didn't want to challenge myself to ride up and the across Canada, I'd forego the entire north leg and bring along a few of my trusted friends. I have traveled with a KelTec KSG which fits nicely in my trailer. On this trip, I am leaving the guns at home, because , well .... CANADA.

Joe

·
Registered
67 Posts
Good video. Nice looking and practical rig.

Have our trip planned. Have booked hotels for the way up but none on the way back. Leaving 24 June. Cheers
Could you send me your itinerary? I haven't booked hotels for either direction, and thought I'd camp now and then, but this would provide me with some guidance as to what I should be planning. I read here, that 450 miles per day is not realistic. That really puts a kink in my plans, but I do have the time and the money to do 200 mile hops if necessary.

Joe

( joe jones in kentucky at yahoo dot com ) No spaces, and all spelled out and formatted just as it sounds :wink2:

·
Registered
638 Posts
Could you send me your itinerary? I haven't booked hotels for either direction, and thought I'd camp now and then, but this would provide me with some guidance as to what I should be planning. I read here, that 450 miles per day is not realistic. That really puts a kink in my plans, but I do have the time and the money to do 200 mile hops if necessary.

Joe

( joe jones in kentucky at yahoo dot com ) No spaces, and all spelled out and formatted just as it sounds :wink2:
Will get info. We are taking tenting gear as well just in case the inn is all full up. Cheers

·
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #96
anxious to read about your trips hope you have a safe and awesome trip 392 days till Alaska for us and 82 days till our 2nd trip to yellowstone!

·
Registered
638 Posts
We have reservations on the way up north, Canada day weekend in Dawson Creek, going to see the W.A.C. Bennett dam, lots of other stops.

Look on line at Dawson Creek. Good info and the town sends out info. Here is a PDF of the campground/gas station chart that Dawson Creek sends out.

Cheers

Attachments

·
Registered
638 Posts
Here's our itinerary. It's a bit detailed, Sonya is a detail person. This is her creation, not mine, lets me take care of the mechanical side of the trip. All the credit for the attachment goes to Sonya. It is still a work in progress.

Attachments

·
Registered
67 Posts
Here's our itinerary. It's a bit detailed, Sonya is a detail person. This is her creation, not mine, lets me take care of the mechanical side of the trip. All the credit for the attachment goes to Sonya. It is still a work in progress.
Thank you! That will give me some idea of what to shoot for. I HEAR that 200 miles per day is a good run up there, but I am hoping to cover more distance.

Joe

·
Administrator
58,478 Posts

That schedule for my daughter and I, would be good for about half a day.
after that, all bets are off.

we wake up, and say "want to travel today?"
then we think on it, and go back to bed. >:)

81 - 100 of 125 Posts