Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

right time of year to go

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
101 - 120 of 123 Posts

·
Registered
627 Posts
Week tomorrow and off to Yukon/Alaska. Finishing up the maintenance on the 1500. Bought a uni-wheel trailer, N-line trailer. Like the uni-wheel concept in that it is no wider than the bike, and it has good reviews. Will allow a lot of flexibility when stopped enroute, and a few extras that otherwise we would not be able to take. Don't mind being sensible, but we are gone for 4 weeks.

Already starting to discuss and plan a trip to Nova Scotia next year, probably 6 weeks. The following year will be down the US west coast, across to Florida and a run up the Blue Ridge Parkway - I hear the scenery is spectacular. Sonya figures we should get some mileage on the trailer while we can.

Back on topic. Trailer wiring installed, Sonya cleaned and polished the rear plastics/Tupperware. Not much left to do, oil change this week.

As an aside, I have mentioned that I bought an in-Reach Delorme Explorer this past winter. Son-in-law gave me a hard time about it, in jest only. The local GWRRA Chapter did a trip around BC a week ago. Everyone had cell phones and such, but no in-Reach or similar product. One of the older gents and his wife hit the side of the road on a corner and put the bike down. They professed to be all right, but those with them insisted on them going to the closest hospital/clinic to be checked out, and yes no cell phone coverage where the couple went down. One fellow on bike and rode a bit until the cell phone worked. Time not well spent, and if the people were more seriously hurt, not a good situation. I will be making this an integral part of my riding - lots of cell phone dead zones even close to Victoria.

Enough of the rant. looking forward to the trip. Cheers

·
Administrator
58,176 Posts
This year, my rally ride was solo, but due to a medical condition I can't do long hot rides anymore.... so I drove our car.

even so, if I were to have a real problem that required help in No Cell Phone Zones, I took SPOT with me.

I have the canned messages so up so that if required, a tow truck can be sent for me.
Glad it was not needed, but there was about 15 miles of "should not be driving", and definitely could not be riding..... a fierce rain storm dumped buckets of water down so hard the little Pontiac Vibe's windshield wiper blades could not keep the glass clear. I pulled into an off road area to wait for 15 minutes.

the elderly gent would surely have benefited if they had borrowed your transponder for that trip. betcha they get one now.

Attachments

·
Registered
627 Posts
Two more sleeps and then on the road again! Really looking forward to the trip. All maintenance done, have the bike tool kit, VISA, and BCAA if anything goes wrong.

Bit the bullet and bought a trailer for the bike. Told myself I would not be towing a trailer, but for extended trips it will make the trip a bit easier. It is an N-Line trailer: http://n-line.com Got it out of Saskatoon, Saskatchewan. Made in Ohio. Like the profile and the single wheel concept. Have been riding around with it for the past 3 days - loaded/empty. The load balance is critical with the single wheel. If it is not, trailer feels like it wants to wobble, doesn't but you can tell something is off. Same width as the bike saddlebags. The trailer wheel is the front wheel off a Buell, 16 inch. Pics attached.

A few items to pick up, as always. Intend to be on the 0600/0700 ferry off the island Monday.

Cheers

Attachments

·
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #105
all set for the trip to Yellowstone on the 22 for 20 days same set up as i will use for Alaska this trip will make it the furthest i traveled with the roll a home last year we went to pawhuska Oklahoma to see the pioneer women's show ree drummand that was a great trip with no problems i will post some pic of our travels

Attachments

·
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #107
I think I put out a thread on what to see and do out there and no one responded sorry didn’t realize you were near that area

·
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #109
still on schedule for june 27 2020 departure to Alaska i'll be going solo as the wife does not want to ride back so i have decided to take the AT still curious if anyone else is headed that way next year IMG_7825.PNG

·
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #110
167 days till i leave will be going solo with the AF curious if anyone is heading that way leaving june 27 having thoughts of going to Tuk to step in the arctic ocean with the bike then on to Alaska

·
Administrator
24,817 Posts
It would be a great adventure, would love to but can't.

·
Administrator
58,176 Posts
If, I were to go, I would have a spare rear wheel/tire, and also a spare front wheel/tire mounted on the trailer....
as I am giving up my trailer to my son come April, I won't be doing any long tours like that.

I already have 3 rear rims.... just need a front one :)

·
Administrator
58,176 Posts
planning a trip to Alaska on June 20 2020 for 4 weeks, i remember seeing a thread on here about trips to Alaska i think anyways if any of you wingers out there have been there recently say the last 2 years i would like to hear you thoughts on the trip most of all the time you went and the road conditions i am attaching a route that we will be taking.we will take 10-11 days to get to anchorage any info would be great tools, cloths, supplies places to see for sure insurance for in Canada and documents for entering both Canada and USA ( i use my enhanced license which works here in the eastern states will it work in Montana?) yes its 2 years out but i have read it should be planned out thoroughly, the wife and i will be taking my 2012 wing and a newer kompackamper mini mate also are there any other site just strictly on m/c trips to Alaska thanks ride safe
325 Lawton Sheer Rd to 1577 Gambell St
I've been thinking on this trip on/off every once in a while.
Tonight, it struck me that you just might want to consider Renting a Satellite cellphone.
coverage all thru your travel area.

This would give you communications briefly every day with your family.

IIRC, you are going to get the Delorme InReach, was wondering how that will compare with your safety needs?

With the new forum Software, just clicking in the Search Bar takes you to Advanced Search immediately, you can enter ALASKA TRIP and lots of threads came up for me.

·
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #117
i will be using a Garmin in reach which i can sent and receive unlimited text have unlimited weather info tracking i'm also doing a little reading for the trip 146 days and counting

·
Administrator
58,176 Posts
I just renewed my SPOT, they begged me to renew at a 50% off the normal rate about Dec 30th...

I really wanted to get the InReach like you have there, BUT, the upfront costs to get into the game with InReach held me off.

I wanted to wait until my summer trips get going again before I made the BIG decision.
The combo of I will never leave the lower 48, and the 50% discount, and I dropped the hugely expensive helicopter ride insurance, got the cost low enough for me to just renew.

I have also installed an Android app on my Cellphone called 'Bubbler" that works just like SPOT or InReach. It will automatically upload your "locations" to SpotWalla.

You need to register on SpotWalla if you have not, as they will now let us create a log page for a full year. that means we can have the entire trip for a year on display all at once.

click on my SpotWalla link to get an idea of it.... I just logged onto SpotWalla about 2 weeks ago... All of my SPOT locations have dropped off of the SPOT tracking page, just like they have always done.... but not SpotWalla, you can see on my link both SPOT and Bubbler.

A super neat feature with SpotWalla. Once SPOT or Bubbler has upload the locations, you can log into your Account and click on one of the locations and upload a Picture for that location.

I think that one feature alone, would be worth it to you for your Alaska trip. When you get Access to WiFi upload a picture specific to where you were at a location. e.g., your bike and you in front of a big sign post, or unique building/store etc.

Look at my link, and click on the dot that shows a Camera Icon on it.
that brings up a large Info page that you will need to use the mouse to click/drag the page up, so that you can see the picture. Try it, bet you grin when you see what I uploaded for that one TEST Picture :)

. you will need to zoom in on the upper part of my trip page, and click on the camera:

·
Administrator
58,176 Posts
the 4 dots/locations real close to Oologah were made with Bubbler.
all of the dots/locations south of Oologah were made with SPOT.

I was experimenting to see how the combination of the two shows up.
When you click on a DOT, the info page will tell you which GPS device uploaded that location.
SpotWalla also shows your direction/speed which SPOT's page will not.

When I start out on my trips, I am going to have both SPOT and Bubbler activated..... sometimes SPOT misses an upload because of overhead sour conditions, heavy rain/clouds/mountains/adjacent buildings.

as Bubbler is a Smartphone device, it should never miss an upload, because the Paid version will continue to hold all of the locations until it finds the internet. it is programmable to use only WiFi if you need to do that.

·
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #120
i have a spotwalla page but cant figure out how to use it its under wingtraveler

101 - 120 of 123 Posts